Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:44 pm 

I currently have a Musical Fidelity M3Si, but have been thinking about, and am very interested in, tubes to Feed my Tannoy Precision 6.2 LE's.

Any ideas what would be a good match? Or what to avoid?

Thanks.

M,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:53 pm 

Contact me next week as I will be driving a pair of Tannoy 6.2 le with an Audio Space Galaxy 88 tube integrated. I can give you my thoughts on this combination there.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm 

moonriders wrote:
Contact me next week as I will be driving a pair of Tannoy 6.2 le with an Audio Space Galaxy 88 tube integrated. I can give you my thoughts on this combination there.

Cheers

Sounds good. The amp looks stunning. Is your a music only system?
I forgot to mention that mine is Music/movies system.

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm 

Out of curiosity... How do you guys find the titanium waveguide tweeter? Not sure if I love it entirely... In comparison to Focal speakers that I've heard with the inverted Al/Mg tweeter... But they do seem to have good detail! (I'm using the stand mount version of these speakers).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the post! Would also like to add I've been using a Rotel amp, but would think the Tannoys likely would sounnd better with even better amplification.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm 

therealco wrote:
Out of curiosity... How do you guys find the titanium waveguide tweeter? Not sure if I love it entirely... In comparison to Focal speakers that I've heard with the inverted Al/Mg tweeter... But they do seem to have good detail! (I'm using the stand mount version of these speakers).

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the post! Would also like to add I've been using a Rotel amp, but would think the Tannoys likely would sounnd better with even better amplification.

I love mine. I had Monitor Audio silver 8s previously and the detail from these is impressive. They also disappear much more effectively and the soundstage is just huge.

I can't compare to Focal, as I've only heard these in show conditions. But from what i've heard I like the Tannoy better.

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:52 pm 

martin_manolov wrote:
moonriders wrote:

Cheers

Sounds good. The amp looks stunning. Is your a music only system?
I forgot to mention that mine is Music/movies system.

Cheers,
M,

My system is music only. I play just digital with a Nuprime Dac 9 which is excellent. Will give you my thoughts on this combination next week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm 
Premium User

I can concur that the Audiospace tube amps do a very fine job with any of the Tannoy Dual-Concentric speakers (including the 6.2s)
We (at 3dB Sound Company) ran the Tannoy product almost exclusively with Audiospace, BC Acoustique and Allnic tube amplification.
And it was all good!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:01 am 

martin_manolov wrote:
I currently have a Musical Fidelity M3Si, but have been thinking about, and am very interested in, tubes to Feed my Tannoy Precision 6.2 LE's.

Thanks.

M,

Hello Martin

I got my Tannoy 6.2 le yesterday and got them hooked up with my Audio Space Galaxy 88 and here is my observation. The Tannoys i have only had about 50 hours on them. They definitely need some burn in time to loosen up. Out of the box the tubes work wonderful with them. I am running 48 per channel in ultra linear mode. The sound was very full deep and soundstage and imaging was great. Speaker positioning is very important. Mine are two feet from back wall with diffusers behind them. Bass was tight but not boomy. I will experiment with mass loading the cabs as per Tannoys recommendations. I would very much recommend tubes with these speakers. Once i get some more time breaking in speakers i will report back or you can PM me.

Oh yes one song i played the absolutely blew my mind was a track from Might Sam Mclain called I'm tired of these blues. If you are a streamer turn that one up and sit back and hold your jaw so it doesn't hit the floor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 am 

moonriders wrote:
martin_manolov wrote:

Thanks.

M,

Hello Martin

I got my Tannoy 6.2 le yesterday and got them hooked up with my Audio Space Galaxy 88 and here is my observation. The Tannoys i have only had about 50 hours on them. They definitely need some burn in time to loosen up. Out of the box the tubes work wonderful with them. I am running 48 per channel in ultra linear mode. The sound was very full deep and soundstage and imaging was great. Speaker positioning is very important. Mine are two feet from back wall with diffusers behind them. Bass was tight but not boomy. I will experiment with mass loading the cabs as per Tannoys recommendations. I would very much recommend tubes with these speakers. Once i get some more time breaking in speakers i will report back or you can PM me.

Oh yes one song i played the absolutely blew my mind was a track from Might Sam Mclain called I'm tired of these blues. If you are a streamer turn that one up and sit back and hold your jaw so it doesn't hit the floor.

Hello,

Thanks for this. I'll also check out the song you recommended.
My observation was the they were very fussy to place as well. Had to move them minuscule amounts (about an inch at a time) probably 5 or 6 times before I got it just right. If you haven't done that I recommend trying it. Toe in, especially, made a tremendous difference in soundstage. I don't have so much space, so i have them about one and a half feet off the wall and no bass trap.

At first i found the bass a bit muddled and less articulate, but once i mass loaded them, things improved immensely. I read a review somewhere that suggested not to fully mass load them. And so that is what I did. I used aquarium gravel (the really tiny stones). I poured about 3.5 (5lbs) bags which filled a little less than 3/4 of the cavity. The results were stunning. Bass was tighter, more responsive, more articulate and clearer. I strongly recommend you try that.

I need to spend some time deciding what to do about this tube business. I really like the idea but regardless I will need a DAC first as right now the M3Si provides that, and I haven't heard of a tube integrated with a dac. You were saying that you like yours? Have you compared it to anything else?

Congrats on the speakers. Enjoy them. I know I have been. I am even inclined to keep them permanently for a second system (if I can afford it of course). They just look and sounds so bloody good.

Cheers,
M,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:38 am 

Tubes for movies??? I dont know about that.. To be honest I am under the impression that SS is just faster than tubes.. I have a totally tube music system but run my movies from a SS amp or more precisely a AV receiver. I am sure there is a heck of a lot of wisdom on here, well know that for a fact actually, and sure they will vy in on it all, I am certainly curious about that now too for movies..

thanks on advance to all who will straighten this all out..

Sorry i was not able to answer your original question which has prompted my curiosity so sorry if I have jumped in when I should not have.

glen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 am 

Glenerd2 wrote:
Tubes for movies??? I dont know about that.. To be honest I am under the impression that SS is just faster than tubes.. I have a totally tube music system but run my movies from a SS amp or more precisely a AV receiver. I am sure there is a heck of a lot of wisdom on here, well know that for a fact actually, and sure they will vy in on it all, I am certainly curious about that now too for movies..

thanks on advance to all who will straighten this all out..

Sorry i was not able to answer your original question which has prompted my curiosity so sorry if I have jumped in when I should not have.

glen

No worries Glen,
I'm right there with you on that. I wonder if anyone has used Tubes for both music and movies as well.
I can understand the there would be a tradeoff but the question really is, how much of a trade off. What would one be missing if using tubes for movies. I don't want to buy an AVR or have a second amp just for movie watching.

In any case, all input/questions are always welcome.

Cheers Glen,

M,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 pm 

Currently i am using the Nuprime Dac 9...It is a really fabulous warm sounding dac. I have also used the Musical Paradise newer dac (can't remember the model). It is tube based and was very flexible. But for it was just another piece of tube rolling which didn't appeal to much to me. I will mass load my speakers this week and post her my findings. Gonna let these speakers run all week and see if they sound better. ,,, and challenge them with more intricate tracks. This sure is fun gotta tell ya.

-- 24 Apr 2017 04:45 --

Currently i am using the Nuprime Dac 9...It is a really fabulous warm sounding dac. I have also used the Musical Paradise newer dac (can't remember the model). It is tube based and was very flexible. But for it was just another piece of tube rolling which didn't appeal to much to me. I will mass load my speakers this week and post her my findings. Gonna let these speakers run all week and see if they sound better. ,,, and challenge them with more intricate tracks. This sure is fun gotta tell ya.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:02 am 

martin_manolov wrote:

Tubes and Tannoys are a great match.

I had a pair of Quick Silver mid mono blocks driving my humble 10" dual concentric 2528 Tannoys.
Also got a chance to hear other amps driving the 2528's.

From EL84's, EL34's, 6L6's and KT88's, there was a clear synergy between EL34's and the 2528's.
The EL34's were winged =C= Sventlana's, which are quite good.

The bottom line is that I would suggest deciding on the power tube you like
and then selecting an amp that uses them.
Also, the quality of the output transformers in the amp are quite important.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:06 pm 

moonriders wrote:
I will mass load my speakers this week and post her my findings. Gonna let these speakers run all week and see if they sound better.

Hello Everyone!

How did it go with the mass loading? The feedback would be greatly appreciated :)