Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am 

The boys of summer look as though they are still in spring training.
Early as it may be, this is an extension of their futility from last year. Poor approach and a seeming lack of situational awareness at the plate.
And now, the only guy on the team that has been hitting is hurt.
Among others, I have to wonder how long Devon Travis stays in the line up, he looks lost.
I also have no idea how Brook Jacoby still has a job.
I think I feel better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 pm 

They let go a guy with a parrot, who exuded calm confidence and set the team on fire with some home run explosions a couple seasons ago. Seems to me they cut a GM loose last year that had done a lot of good too. My expectations have evaporated. I can't even be bothered to switch it on, with that other sports thing that's been happening in Toronto this spring now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:50 pm 

They're simply not as good as advertised. Their starting pitching is strong, but there are problems with the position players.

Bautista is past his prime
Tulo is past his prime
Martin is past his prime
Smoak can't hit
Pillar can't hit
Carrera can't hit
Not sure about Travis

Power output was down last year compared to the year before and it will be worse this year. With no running game, no concept of situational hitting, and with the lack of power, the pitching won't be able to bail them out every game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:30 pm 

Mod Beat wrote:
They're simply not as good as advertised. Their starting pitching is strong, but there are problems with the position players.

Tulo is past his prime
Martin is past his prime
Smoak can't hit
Pillar can't hit
Carrera can't hit
Not sure about Travis

Power output was down last year compared to the year before and it will be worse this year. With no running game, no concept of situational hitting, and with the lack of power, the pitching won't be able to bail them out every game.

I couldn't agree more.....although, Tulo and Martin are still effective defensively.
Defence doesn't matter if you can't hit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:38 am 

Haven't watched or listened to any of the games as I lost all interest with their off season manoeuvres. Let's look at that "expert" strategy for a moment..."OK, we haven't been quite good enough to make it to the World Series the past 2 years and we can see the areas in which we need to improve (as Mod Beat has ably pointed out) so let's do absolutely nothing to improve this team going forward."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:41 am 

...there's still one hundred and fifty three games to go... :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:27 am 

Mod Beat wrote:

Tulo is past his prime
Martin is past his prime
Smoak can't hit
Pillar can't hit
Carrera can't hit
Not sure about Travis

Can't disagree, but I would add Martin can't hit. His performance in the playoffs, in particular last year was pathetic. Every swing was a home run swing that resulted in either a strike out or (his favourite) a ground ball to short, usually for a rally killing double play. I have no idea how he continues to be in the 6 spot, probably due to lack of options.
What drives me nuts is the offensive approach, I just don't get it.
They were schooled by KC two years ago in the play offs. Having Anthopolous leave/quit stopped the team from making meaningful player adjustments, so I will write off last year in regards to personnel changes. The new management group is gun shy and brought in dollar store guys in the hope of catching lightning in a bottle, bad business plan. And they let the guy with the parrot walk, when they could have signed him long term at a much more attractive price at the start of last season, but decided to piss him off. To add to that, the Jays have tons of cash. Before Shapiro and Atkins came in, they were throwing it around pretty well. The optics of being fiscally conservative by this group look terrible and will stop the fans from coming out, because in regards to baseball in Toronto, you better have a winner.
Also, I can't overlook the what you would think is manageable through coaching. Why, last year, was every batter, including the likes of Ryan Goins, swinging out of their shoes every at bat? Why were we taking first pitches and falling behind 0-2 in most at bats? Is it the hitting coach? the manager? the players?
So, here we are this year, doing the same thing. It's hard to believe every pitcher the Jays face is Cy Young, but they sure make them look that way.
In summarizing what most have you had said:
The Jays don't have the right players to play any type of small ball when required and they can't hit.
Doesn't leave much.
In regards to Travis, I really want to like him, but they should send him down for a while, he's a mess, offensively and defensively. The thing that concerns me, and this may not be fixable, is I think he has never recovered properly from the collarbone injury.
Once again, thank you, I'm not sure if I feel better, but it helps.

-- 15 Apr 2017 13:28 --

Stone wrote:

Is that supposed to make me feel better?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 am 

I saw a lot of empty seats last night, wouldn't have been the case last year....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:30 am 

scarbpaul12 wrote:
Stone wrote:

Is that supposed to make me feel better?

...no...but if it's of any consequence my favorite dart thrower just suffered a massive heart attack brought on by poor diet and questionable extracurricular activities...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:36 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
I saw a lot of empty seats last night, wouldn't have been the case last year....

That's because casual fans jump ship just like rats the minute the team doesn't perform to their expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:46 am 

KJT1 wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:

That's because casual fans jump ship just like rats the minute the team doesn't perform to their expectations.

...and a lot of those "casual" fans are also hockey fans...bums will return to the ballpark...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:19 am 

Stone wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:

...and a lot of those "casual" fans are also hockey fans...bums will return to the ballpark...

Won't take long... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:40 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm 

There's gotta be room on the bench for Bautista.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm 

If they don't turn things around in a hurry they're going to be done for this year as they're in such a tough division. Many people are saying it's time to rebuild after this year anyway as they're an 'old team' compared to most other teams in the league.