Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 am 

Hello. If no one has started a “Profound New Audio Products” Topic, how far we can take it?

Must be something "special" to catch interest and keep intrest.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have not figured out how to attach photos from this Japanese site. Can anyone? A GREAT READ AND LOOKS LIKE THE FIRST PRODUCT USING AKM’s LATEST D/A chip.

The Grandioso K1
Is this the Future or Last CD spinner?

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/k1/indexe.html

The supreme Super Audio CD player reigning over all other single chassis models.

The Art of Mechanical Engineering

VRDS-NEO VMK-3.5-20S

The culmination of Esoteric's most advanced mechatronics know-how, the VRDS system radically improves the reading precision of Super Audio CD/CD discs by using a turntable for rotation and mechanically correcting for surface run-out. The Grandioso K1's VRDS-NEO VMK-3.5-20S drive also features two sets of specially selected high-precision ball bearings supporting a duralumin turntable constructed to micron-level accuracy, and a 20 mm-thick steel turntable bridge. The combined mechani-cal structure weighs an impressive 5.2 kg (12 kg including the rigid base).

The drive employs proven Esoteric technologies, including a high-flux-density magnet-driven coreless three-phase brushless spindle motor, a thread feed control derived from the thinking behind the renowned P-0, and a shaft-sliding pickup which consistently illuminates the disc with a precisely perpendicular beam of laser light.
VS-DD* Spindle Servo Driver and Proprietary Toroidal Power Supply.

At the heart of the VRDS-NEO drive is a spindle driven by Esoteric's proprietary VS-DD servo driver circuit. This uses a discrete three-channel amplifier to optimize the motor drive current, minimize vibration, and provide ultra-smooth spindle operation and high-accuracy servo control. The Grandioso K1 is also equipped with a proprietary toroidal power supply that greatly enhances noise isolation.

*VS-DD = VRDS Spindle Discrete Driver

Chassis Construction and Parts Layout

The VRDS-NEO transport mechanism is located in the center where it is fixed to a 5 mm thick steel bottom chassis and supported by four proprietary pinpoint feet (patent no. 4075477). This effectively limits vibrations from the rotation mechanism. The internal structure of the chassis features a double deck with the audio boards on the top level and power supply circuits and transformers on the bottom level, which prevents magnetic flux leakage and vibrations and also shortens the power supply wiring.

The Grandioso K1 contains a total of four high capacity toroidal transformers for the two monaural D/A converters, digital circuit, and "VS-DD" spindle servo driver, which enables the unit to provide the ideal power supply to each circuit block.

FOR MORE SEE THE SITE AT START. A GREAT READ AND LOOKS LIKE THE FIRST PRODUCT USING AKM’s LATEST D/A chip.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:12 pm 

speedy1 wrote:
I have not figured out how to attach photos from this Japanese site.

RT click on the picture, choose "Copy image address"
click on the IMG button and place the copied address in between the code:
{img}address here{/img}

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 pm 

It really is a 73 pound work of Art.
Thank You Jared.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm 

what I think would be profound
is somebody slapping down the 36000 cnd to take this home with them

any guesses as to when it becomes legacy technology

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm 

Deleted

Last edited by Audio_Guy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:08 pm 

chow wrote:
what I think would be profound
is somebody slapping down the 36000 cnd to take this home with them

any guesses as to when it becomes legacy technology

I agree. The only thing profound about it is the price. No matter how you slice it's still just a CD/SA-CD player. For that amount of money at least build a machine that can also play DVD-A or BDs that have the ability to contain real HRA content on it. Other manufacturers are doing it. SACD was abandoned by it's parents years ago so why limit it to that format?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:09 pm 

I vote for this one.....https://vertereacoustics.com/record-pla ... nce-groove

and the tonearm of course...https://vertereacoustics.com/tonearms/v ... tonearm-2/

Attachments:
SGrefTA01.jpg
SGrefTA01.jpg [ 121.32 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

Last edited by libor on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:43 pm 
Premium User

What about this baby that will be on display at MAF this weekend?

Attachment:
front-02.jpg
front-02.jpg [ 66.02 KiB | Viewed 1200 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:00 am 

OBI56 wrote:

Attachment:
front-02.jpg

think I saw a review for that table about 10 years ago, isn't that a magnetic drive unit?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:10 am 
Premium User

chow wrote:
OBI56 wrote:

Attachment:
front-02.jpg

think I saw a review for that table about 10 years ago, isn't that a magnetic drive unit?

It has been upgraded several times since its introduction. Profound has to do with the dent it will leave in your hardwood floors ... and your wallet ... ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:48 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

There are many companies that wish to and can provide very low priced gear that is derivative of their successful extreme cost and extreme quality work.

The problem is the customers and the retailers (dealers/distributors) of such extreme gear. I would think that the extreme quality retailers/distributors would not have a problem if the customer base did not.

The customer base will generally refuse to buy from a company that produces very low priced gear along side the extreme gear.

Perception is everything in this market area. Over and above the quality question, it is perception...perception is everything.

It's why you don't see a Breitling watch at $100. If they made them, the exclusivity would go away in the minds of the customer base who buys quality by the dollars spent.

Essentially, don't blame the manufacturers for the seeming pandering, blame the customer base.

Now that the gulf between rich and poor is notably greater than it was even during the dark ages of Europe, then these extremes become more accentuated.

The deal is that life is better than it was in the past, with respect to things like the net and general health, and so on, but most of the thunder and energies that should have come to the least enabled people in the system, was stolen by the upper group and the Nouveau upper group members. The least enabled seemed like they were getting enough to stop them from overtly complaining or noticing.. but the real point is that much more should have been delivered and that extra fundamental shift...was transferred away. So the ground clawed back was carefully deconstructed, and pasted over with plastic narrative. Leaving us with the statement in truth, that 'the divide has never been greater' but a plastic frameworks that is 'just enough' to seem like the statement is not as real as it could be.

So I look at this $35k disc player, and I see all that complicated mess, not just the disc player and the ideas and presentations behind it (in the engineering sense, etc).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:04 am 

Teo Audio's point is well taken.

But, relatively speaking, and crazy as it may sound, $36K for an integrated CD/SACD player, which also has digital inputs for all your computer-based audio files, stands pretty low on the scale of insanely priced audio components.

I mean we have speakers at up to a million dollars. I remember a Stereophile review, quite some years ago, for a tube power amp in the $250K range, and many of us auditioned the similarly priced KEF speakers at the last TAVES.

One could multiply such examples many times over: just take a look at www.higherfi.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:04 am 

That's too bad... I see an incredibly engineered and machined piece of art, that just happens to play Cd's like never before.... though one would wish it would play everything and anything on a disc.. .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:14 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

When I look at them, I see an engineering challenge I can meet, to produce better sounding at less than a 10th the cost. Except the finances are not yet in place to take a shot at it. 30+ years of unissued tricks tweaks and built up lore informs me of that.

But I have also observed that buyers are not there, in some ways. Expectations are so all over the place that arguments of quality erupt and sales go nowhere. The dealers only want it if it can be rubber stamped into a sale and they don't have to work the product. Part of the rubber stamping is the appearance to the mind of the electronically uninitiated. They equate shiny neat symmetrical parts and innards, perceived beauty in appearance, all in a heavy expensive chassis, as somehow being the pinnacle in sound quality.

The market goes where the ignorance flows.

So, overbuilding brings fame and fortune. Doing it right brings little, in comparison.

I had this conversation with xxxx xxxxxx a few times, on the phone. At the time, he had is amplifiers with the heatsinks on the inside, and the signal routing was superior for it. It made for a better sounding amplifier, in the way he was doing it.

If you want to make more sales, I said, turn the amplifier inside out so it looks like the average projected imagining of what quality and power amps look like. Put the heatsinks on the outside. The customer does not know that it can be a compromise. Their perception informs them of something else, unrelated to quality. expectations of projections in perceived quality and known norms. Sales should double, I said. And, use certain boutique parts. They are better, but perception will make it more than it might be.

He did so, eventually...and sales really took off.