Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:11 pm 

Currently I have a pair of LX16 and they are by far the best speakers I ever had and I had a few:
LS3/5A (built from a kit), KEF 101, Proac EBT, Linn Kan, Pyramid Met 7, Focal 705V, to name a few.
My main source is Bluesound Node 2, the amp is NAD D 3020 and I have NHT Super 8, sealed sub.
If you are not familiar, the LX16 is identical to much more expensive Motion 15 (confirmed by ML) and the only difference is that the top surface of the Motion 15 is slanted toward the back of the speaker. The folded ribbon tweeter of LX16 is lightning fast, very detailed and never shrill or fatiguing.
Both LX16 and Dali Menuet have similar specs-Dali is 3dB less efficient and it goes one Hz deeper...
Unfortunately, I never had a chance to listen to Menuet but all reviews, both user and professional are stellar. The price difference is sizable, close to 1K and I would really like to hear your opinion, especially if you had a chance to hear them both, is it worth switching.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:55 am 

I guess the question I'd have to ask you is are you going to make a purchase decision based upon what someone else thinks of them, or are you going to buy them based upon on how YOU like them after you've had the opportunity to audition them in your own listening space? You've told us the speakers you have now are the best you've ever heard so it should be easy to tell if the ones you are considering are better or not. It's either one or the other. If they are better buy them. If they are not as good do you really want something not as good? Seems like an easy decision to make. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:27 am 

A small correction. My current speakers are not the best I ever heard. They are the best I ever owned.
I am not expecting that someone else makes a decision for me. I am simply hoping that someone will be able to offer some insight based on direct experience with both.
My friend has a pair of Dali bookshelf speakers with their "composite" (ribbon and dome) tweeter and they really sound nice. They are very detailed and musical but they are a bit forward sounding for my taste and consequently, I would have difficulty listening to them for extended period of time.
All reviews of Menuet are in agreement that they are not fatiguing and I was hoping to get a non biased non commercial opinion. I hope that is not totally unrealistic.
Hearing any Dalis here in Vancouver is impossible since nobody sells them and the closest store I am aware of is in Portland Oregon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 pm 

Forget the speakers, upgrade the NAD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:21 pm 

Before D 3020 I had the NAD C326BEE and D3020 sounds quite a bit better.
Anyway, do you have any specific suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:37 pm 
Premium User

If they are exactly the Motion 15's hold on to them. Still one of the best small monitors I've had the pleasure of owning. Paired with an entry level YBA integrated it was really something special for the price point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:22 pm 

I did some reading and a few sources on the web were claiming they are the same as Motion 15. I e mailed ML and they confirmed that they are the same with the exception of the slanted top surface. I heard them both and as my ears can tell - they are the same.
The fact that I had them for over two years without a real urge for an "upgrade" (read change-something new) is a clear indication how good they are!
I am intrigued by the number of stellar reviews of Menuet and the number of claims how special they are. I also like how small they are and the flexibility of placement options they offer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:05 pm 

viva wrote:
A small correction. My current speakers are not the best I ever heard. They are the best I ever owned.
I am not expecting that someone else makes a decision for me. I am simply hoping that someone will be able to offer some insight based on direct experience with both.
My friend has a pair of Dali bookshelf speakers with their "composite" (ribbon and dome) tweeter and they really sound nice. They are very detailed and musical but they are a bit forward sounding for my taste and consequently, I would have difficulty listening to them for extended period of time.
All reviews of Menuet are in agreement that they are not fatiguing and I was hoping to get a non biased non commercial opinion. I hope that is not totally unrealistic.
Hearing any Dalis here in Vancouver is impossible since nobody sells them and the closest store I am aware of is in Portland Oregon.

I just went through the same process of taking other's recommendations based on what they like and paid reviews but in the end their recommendtions just didn't suit me thus I was much better off just doing my own searches. Most people don't admit they could have done better. Room acoustics and source play a big part in the final sound so what sounded good in their homes (or the store) turned out to be awful in my own so keep an open mind about it. What you end up with might surprise you.

Good luck in your search.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:55 pm 
Premium User

hollinger wrote:
Forget the speakers, upgrade the NAD!

The D3020, even with it's measly 30W is an outstanding amp. I ran a pair of Harbeth P3ESR's with it for a while. THe quality blew me away. It's biggest weakness though is it's bult-in DAC. That's worth upgrading. Even an Audioquest Dragonfly is better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:02 pm 

HatMan,

I agree completely with your assessment! Room acoustics is as important as the equipment in the system.
I was lucky that I was able to return two pairs of speakers without a penalty. I read a stellar review of a famous Canadian bookshelf speaker. Went to the local dealer and they were really sounding spectacular! Took them home and I was very pleased initially. After a while i figured that only the best recordings were listenable. Everything else was totally useless and was making me nervous after a short while. I was hoping they will settle once burned in. Nothing has changed after running them for the full week...
The second pair was a highly respected British brand. The conditions in a demo room were not the best (retail chain store) so I decided to take them home anyway. They had relatively strong bass given the size and nothing else! Burning in did not help either, so they went back.
One of the attractions of Menuet is that according to Dali, they are very flexible when it comes to positioning. My options in that area are very limited.
Najibs, I totally agree with your description of D3020 and especially the part about the quality of the DAC. I am using it to connect the TV and the sound is better than the TV sound alone. The sound is similar to what I was getting while using the TV with $ 30.00 FIIO dac.
I guess NAD did not want to get too close to their stand alone dac.
I am using optical in, on my Node 2 for Oppo 980H and there is a clear improvement compared to Oppo's on board dac or listening Oppo through the D3020 dac.