Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:01 pm 

Today afternoon just noticed on my Sony dvp-ns900v, won't read hybrid sacd just a normal cd layer!!
I have so many hybrid sacd, and not hybrid sacd,(real sacd) that read without any problem
In normal, we expect that if the customers buy hybrid SACD, READ !!sacd layer , and not just normal cd layer
Or not?
Or just another big deal from the Sony?

Last edited by laszlo1959 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:18 pm 
Premium User

Laszlo, I'm not sure I understand from you post what your problem is. On the first line you say that your DVP-NS900V won't read the SACD layer of hybrid SACD discs, yet on the second line you state that you have so many hybrid SACD that read without problems.

Either is plays them without problems or it doesn't. Or is it just certain discs that are a problem?

BTW, your Sony is not a Universal Player like an Oppo which can read all formats; it is a regular DVD player that just happens to support certain other formats as mandated by the DVD spec.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:41 pm 

Is it possible that the player's default setting is to play the CD layer rather than the SACD layer?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3DTWbY0t7 ... S900V.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:29 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
Laszlo, I'm not sure I understand from you post what your problem is. On the first line you say that your DVP-NS900V won't read the SACD layer of hybrid SACD discs, yet on the second line you state that you have so many hybrid SACD that read without problems.

Either is plays them without problems or it doesn't. Or is it just certain discs that are a problem?

BTW, your Sony is not a Universal Player like an Oppo which can read all formats; it is a regular DVD player that just happens to support certain other formats as mandated by the DVD spec.

It's very simple OBI

Hybrid sacd read only normal cd layer
NO hybrid sacd plays without any problem ( real sacd?) read sacd layer!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm 

Yeah seems like a setting thing.. there should be a place when set what's the default layer (if available). If it's set to CD then it'll read the CD layer first unless it's a non hybrid which will force to the SACD layer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:47 pm 

If the player reads "pure" SACDs without a problem—that is, SACDs that don't have a CD layer—then it's probably a setting that can be adjusted.

But if it doesn't read pure SACDs, then it's probably because the laser pickup that reads SACDs has failed. This is quite common with older Sony SACD players.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:06 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
If the player reads "pure" SACDs without a problem—that is, SACDs that don't have a CD layer—then it's probably a setting that can be adjusted.

But if it doesn't read pure SACDs, then it's probably because the laser pickup that reads SACDs has failed. This is quite common with older Sony SACD players.

Yes, it's read pure sacd layer , sound fantastic!!

-- 17 Feb 2017 00:15 --

I think about if my player doesn't read my hybrid sacd ,just normal cd layer why should i have to spend $20 on each cd
not better if I buy same cd in normal cd for few $$? Just named sacd if not play in super audio? Or not?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm 

It is a very old player, but it might be a cheap fix ... http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez ... 39012.html ... and it could probably stand to have the laser cleaned.

Otherwise, the laser might be getting tired.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:33 pm 

I have a Marantz DV-9500 not a problem with the correct settings (and there are many) playing a SACD layer or CD layer (hybrid) or strictly SACD.

Then I connected a HDMI cable, only the CD layer could be played...SACD output only to the analog outs...

Sorry not much help.

As previously mentioned a laser cleaning may be needed, on Hybrid SACD/CD I believe the CD layer is over the SACD layer...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:51 am 

AudiOhm wrote:
I have a Marantz DV-9500 not a problem with the correct settings (and there are many) playing a SACD layer or CD layer (hybrid) or strictly SACD.

Then I connected a HDMI cable, only the CD layer could be played...SACD output only to the analog outs...

Sorry not much help.

As previously mentioned a laser cleaning may be needed, on Hybrid SACD/CD I believe the CD layer is over the SACD layer...

Regards
Ohms

Thanks for your help, have you been experienced with other player, dual layer disc?
And even what player doesn't have problem reading dual layer disc??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

My first player was a Pioneer DV-578A, no problem reading either layer, or SACD on its own.

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm 

Hmmm ... apparently now that it is for sale, it is "in very good working conditions".

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... vd-player/

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

What HMMMMMM?
It's working everything, just hybrid layer reading SACD!! May be just need correct set up, or cleaning the lens!!

I'm not lying and stolen the people money like KIJIJI!!!!!
Just see my feedback

So what HmMMMMMM???????????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:57 pm 
Premium User

laszlo1959 wrote:
What HMMMMMM?
It's working everything, just hybrid layer reading SACD!! May be just need correct set up, or cleaning the lens!!

Just see my feedback

That's about a 9 on the tension scale rube.

All he is saying, is it's looks bad that you post you're having an issue with your player, only to find it posted for sale in very good condition, with no word of the issue you are having.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 pm 

LEAFS264 wrote:
laszlo1959 wrote:
What HMMMMMM?

Just see my feedback

That's about a 9 on the tension scale rube.

All he is saying, is it's looks bad that you post you're having an issue with your player, only to find it posted for sale in very good condition, with no word of the issue you are having.

Exactly! Thank you. The issue is NOT likely the setup or a lens cleaning, although those things MIGHT help. It is a very old Sony player, and not recognizing the SACD layer of hybrid disks CAN mean that the laser is beginning to fail ... and not worth fixing. I just don't think that it is fair to pass the problem along to another member, unless that member is fully-aware of the TRUE condition of the player.