It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Revenge of Analog
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Hipsters line up here.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5325610324001/?#sp=show-clips

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:26 pm 

Never left the non-digital technology, been at it since the early 70s... with the required turntables upgrades...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:45 pm 

New tech: !!!

http://startouch.thestar.com/screens/81 ... %7C_0.html

I gotta say, I have been eschewing new vinyl for a couple years now, just thought there was some dubious QC, and no value in the price spread between CD and Vinyl. Recently ordered Nora Jones Day Breaks on hefty orange vinyl (amazon $25 with a D/L card), Blue Note.. Wow, it is really jaw dropping. Of course, you've got a really discerning artist, and very chill bluesy jazz so you'd expect a good recording, but the SQ is amazing and the vinyl is dead silent, not a wisp of any noise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:14 pm 

Not sure what to make of this. On my main set-up, I spin LP's and have for about 50 years; they sound great and to my ears (mind?) sound better than my digital set-up. I also read books, but when I want to look something up, I go digital and use a computer. Why? Because it's convenient.
When I'm out in my studio, creating analog paintings, I listen to music on a (comparatively) cheap digital set-up. Why? Because it's convenient. When you're in the flow of painting you don't really want to stop and flip the record. Besides, I've got a few hundred CD's and the only time they get air-time is when I'm in the studio.
In the end, I suspect convenience will win out, no matter what the medium. Old die-hards like myself and other on this site will keep the analog flame alive but I doubt the Millennials will go to the wall and keep buying LP's once they get married and start having kids.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 pm 

Don't bet on it, vinyl will always be with us, but in a very small proportion. I can see CDs slowly fading, and being replace with computers base DAC.

-- 17 Feb 2017 00:33 --

If you want quality vinyls, cut in different countries under different labels, this place has them..

http://www.ccvinyl.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:

I gotta say, I have been eschewing new vinyl for a couple years now, just thought there was some dubious QC, and no value in the price spread between CD and Vinyl. Recently ordered Nora Jones Day Breaks on hefty orange vinyl (amazon $25 with a D/L card), Blue Note.. Wow, it is really jaw dropping. Of course, you've got a really discerning artist, and very chill bluesy jazz so you'd expect a good recording, but the SQ is amazing and the vinyl is dead silent, not a wisp of any noise.

++++1 Outstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:51 pm 

moinau wrote:
Don't bet on it, vinyl will always be with us, but in a very small proportion. I can see CDs slowly fading, and being replace with computers base DAC.

Yeah, kinda what I said.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm 

ecclectique wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:

++++1 Outstanding.

I still have to wonder how the CD would sound (for $8 or so on amazon), but right now orange is the new black....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:23 am 

Precision Pressing in Hamilton is making Records.
Over 300000 a month.
Their first record was a Canadian Band.
The Tragically Hip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:50 am 

The best part of this is that it's not an either/or situation. I'm thrilled that they're still pressing vinyl and equally excited that they're making efforts to improve the sound quality of digital and streaming services. I can choose to have the intimate listening experience with vinyl and the convenience and large library of digital and streaming. There's never been a better time to be a music fan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 am 
Premium User

Reckoner wrote:
The best part of this is that it's not an either/or situation. I'm thrilled that they're still pressing vinyl and equally excited that they're making efforts to improve the sound quality of digital and streaming services. I can choose to have the intimate listening experience with vinyl and the convenience and large library of digital and streaming. There's never been a better time to be a music fan.

Very well put Reckoner. I'm mystified as to why more people do not get this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:09 am 

I love that there is still so much vinyl out there to be found. I bought 2 large collections in the last few months for next to nothing. Both were from retirees moving into condos and haven't listened to them in years. Great condition first pressings. I always have them set the the price and I usually end up giving them more so I don't feel like a vulture and they feel happy about the transaction. I keep the primo stuff for myself and give away the rest to a couple of close friends who are getting into vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Reckoner wrote:

Very well put Reckoner. I'm mystified as to why more people do not get this.

Most people don't get this because we are inundated as a society, with top ten lists, "best this, best that".
Our culture does not embrace grayness anymore. You must define your life choices now and neatly package them into the answer to the question
"which one is better".

Sad really.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 am 

most people who love vinyl and were say looking at going digital have to keep in mind..the cost of upgrading to those DAC thingys and other electronic devices to minic analog is insame. IF you have to use all that stuff to modify ..color add to or minus the music so its presentable ..to say the least forget it. Beside my hearing is not the greatest anymore so CDs are out and I have never downloaded music or movies..have enough to watch on the telly.
Vinyl Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:10 am 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e28507701/

Very similar story but has a bit more info.
Also want to say tidal/Spotify has helped my collecting. I listen to everything everywhere and when I keep going back to a about I go buy the vinyl