Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:10 pm 

I never gave it much thought when making my record cleaning machine solutions up.
I usually add 4 parts distilled water, 1 part Isopropyl Alcohol (99% purity) and 5ml of Ilford Ilfotol per litre.

Voila!

But, I came across a thread or a blog etc....and they emphasized that when it comes to distilled water you should use
either triple-filtered distilled water or "purified water BP" which is a British Pharmacopeia standard water used for the preparation of common medicines.

Do you guys discriminate this way when it comes to your DW ingredient?

If so, can you say that you notice a difference post cleaning?

Lastly, if you do use it...where do you buy it from.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:27 pm 

Actually distilled water is a very poor solvent for things like fingerprint oils (hydrophobic molecules) the best you can hope for is that the water floats the organics and is vacuumed off.
A small amount of detergent/organic soluble molecules like isopropanol are the way to go.
Infinte purity of distilled water ............useless at best because there is so much junk on used albums, assuming that's what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:58 pm 

I use Lab Type 1 water for both my wash mix and the rinse. We have a Millipore system at work so I get it for free.

You can read more about lab grades here:
http://www.emdmillipore.com/CA/en/water ... lkiQz8,nav

In the absence of this supply I think that the deionized water typically sold at places like Canadian Tire is likely not a bad substitute. Typically it would be rated as lab grade 2 like this stuff:
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Deionize ... 16280.aspx

You can also buy countertop distillers - which could likely be used for home distillation as well. I haven't tried this (yet) but I am getting ever closer to home distillation so perhaps this summer. Tap water could be used for washing but I would highly recommend much higher quality water for the rinse cycle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:13 pm 

the reason to use distilled water is to not introduce additional contaminants as part of the washing process - just like we all do in the shower. :lol:

I've got no idea which is 'better'. Regular distilled water is made from the steam from boiled water which should remove most impurities and is superior to many of the types of purified, filtered or de-ionized water used in many laboratory situations. if water is filtered before goes through distillation it should be better. If filtered after it will depend on the quality of the filter process.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 pm 

I clean my records on a vacuum RCM using Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions (AIVS) - Premium Record Cleaner Formula No. 15 followed by a rinse stage using Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions (AIVS) Ultra-Pure Water. I ordered them from Columbus Radio in Winnipeg. I ordered two 32 oz. bottles of each to save on shipping.

Good thread on the subject here: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41389

Here's a link to the product information for AIVS: http://www.audiointelligent.com/products.htm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:38 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyw3Z7w2tYs

this is a general description by the late great Ian Grant demoing the Opera Consonance RCM and his recommendation for cleaning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:16 am 

Tap water is, hard, to varying degrees. This means that there are minerals, such as calcium carbonate, dissolved in it. That is what limestone is.
Distilled water, any distilled water, is soft: it has left this behind, and will not leave mineral deposits on your records.
I get distilled water from the grocery store, and mix as the OP does, but use less wetting agent. I use the cleaning solution, then rinse with plain distilled water.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:31 am 

The AnalogPlanet website recommended reverse osmosis water several years ago, specifically Aquafina brand. I've used it since then, with a VPI 16.5 RCM, with good results. I also have a counter-top water distiller, but I'm so pleased with Aquafina that the distiller sits idle.

Here's a link to Michael Fremer's experience with Aquafina:

http://www.musictools.eu/docs/x%20audia ... Fremer.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:34 am 

Alec_124c41 wrote:
Tap water is, hard, to varying degrees. This means that there are minerals, such as calcium carbonate, dissolved in it. That is what limestone is.
Distilled water, any distilled water, is soft: it has left this behind, and will not leave mineral deposits on your records.
I get distilled water from the grocery store, and mix as the OP does, but use less wetting agent. I use the cleaning solution, then rinse with plain distilled water.

Cheers,
Alec

Funny you mentioned the wetting agent. This might be a figment of my imagination but I really think that when I started using it, the cleaning process didn't produce the same results.(previously used no wetting agent at all) I am mixing some up tomorrow and am going to halve the amount I previously used and see what happens.

-- 16 Feb 2017 16:35 --

Lutherton wrote:
The AnalogPlanet website recommended reverse osmosis water several years ago, specifically Aquafina brand. I've used it since then, with a VPI 16.5 RCM, with good results. I also have a counter-top water distiller, but I'm so pleased with Aquafina that the distiller sits idle.

Here's a link to Michael Fremer's experience with Aquafina:

http://www.musictools.eu/docs/x%20audia ... Fremer.pdf

Really good link...thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 am 

I use a concoction of distilled water, lab grade isopropyl alcohol, and photo-flo. Seems to work pretty good with my VPI 16.5. Been using it for years. In case anyone wonders what Photo-flo is I copied and pasted a description.
Photo-Flo:Photo-Flo is a concentrated wetting agent used as a final step in processing to inhibit the formation of water spots or streaks on Films and plates. It is generally used on silver-based black-and-white Films and plates. Photo-Flo can also be used as a surfactant to aid in the smooth application of water-based retouching materials to processed Films, plates and papers, both black-and-white and color. Recommended for use in water only. Not intended to be added to processing solutions.
Note: you only need a few drops of the stuff. Less is most definitely better.
PS: our tap water is a disgrace, beyond hard to the point that water pipes in this area have a MUCH shorter life than anywhere else.
Virtually unusable and drinkable only in small quantities, if you can get past the taste.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:49 pm 

I use distilled water (any brand, nothing special) mixed with cleaning fluid from UHF magazine as per their directions with a KAB record cleaning machine. I've been using this for over 20 years and am quite happy with the results.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:53 pm 

monty4 wrote:
I use distilled water (any brand, nothing special) mixed with cleaning fluid from UHF magazine as per their directions with a KAB record cleaning machine. I've been using this for over 20 years and am quite happy with the results.

It would be nice to know the ingredients of your UHF magazine fluid is.
As long as you are happy ... no need to change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:54 pm 
Premium User

drywhitetoast wrote:
I never gave it much thought when making my record cleaning machine solutions up.
I usually add 4 parts distilled water, 1 part Isopropyl Alcohol (99% purity) and 5ml of Ilford Ilfotol per litre.

Voila!

But, I came across a thread or a blog etc....and they emphasized that when it comes to distilled water you should use
either triple-filtered distilled water or "purified water BP" which is a British Pharmacopeia standard water used for the preparation of common medicines.

Do you guys discriminate this way when it comes to your DW ingredient?

If so, can you say that you notice a difference post cleaning?

Lastly, if you do use it...where do you buy it from.

Cheers

I really doubt that there is any performance difference between different types of distilled water. As long as it is distilled that is all that matters. We get our distilled delivered to the door from an outfit in Hamilton called Long Life Water. Comes in the water cooler style plastic jugs. Cheap as chips, we go through two of these a week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm 

[quote="mahatma1"]
Note: you only need a few drops of the stuff. Less is most definitely better.
quote]

I have been looking at the distilled water aspect of my issues with a decline of benefit from cleaning and I am now thinking that I have been using too much of my wetting agent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:24 am 

Your solution concept is sound, and affordable to make.
Would the best distilled water in the world, that you imported from Iceland at a crazy cost make an audible difference? I doubt it.
Would a couple of big jugs of the of the stuff you bought for cheap from Shoppers leave you some money left over to buy more records? Ya Baby!