Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm 

I'm a BIG fan of Isoacoustics stands for bookshelf speakers. The improvement they provide is not subtle at all. Tonight I made a crazy experiment. I put a large wood cutting board on top of each stand and I put my Magnepan MG12 on top of it. I could not believe my ears. The improvement is incredible : details, sound stage, clarity, instrument separation, bass definition, everything is incredibly improved. The problem is that this setup is absolutly not safe !!! Speakers could fall really easily.

Recently Isoacoustics released the Gaia series isolation feet.

I would like to install them under a Sound Anchors stand or Mye Stand.

That will make for a very expensive stand but if it sounds anywhere as good as my crazy experiment I won't be needing to upgrade my MG12 anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:49 am 

I want to try the Gaia series isolation feet under my B&W 804D's. They will be my next tweak.

Has anyone tried these yet? Please share any experiences.

Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:42 am 

Hi,

Nice tweak. Kudos for experimenting. What you are actually doing, if I understand how the IsoAcoustic stands (and feet) work, is you are decoupling the speakers from the floor. Audio goes in cycles of consumer fashion. One big fashion wave was to couple the speaker and the floor together with spikes. Some of us (the decoupling camp) thought it all sounded like a mess but people (when they spend money) like to hear a 'difference' and others seek 'excitement' and so it sold lots of spikes. By decoupling, you get increased clarity because decaying resonances are not being transferred into audible floor (and secondary and tertiary wall) vibrations. Similarly raising your Magnepans up much higher reduces floor coupling further. It's all in the subtle details.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:49 am 

Hmmm ? My SMGA's are on metal stands with spikes , would be nice to try those GAIA pucks but would need 8 to do both speakers , wonder what they sell for ?

John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:50 am 

Thanks for the heads up regarding the availability of the Gaia feet. I have the large Isoacoustics stand under my Gunned Maggies and even with the redesigned Magnestand frame and base there is enough instability that I had to place a heavy bag of shot on each x-over box for peace of mind. The sonic improvement over the Dayton spikes that PG uses was noticeable even if the new set up seemed to fly in the face of the Mye stands approach to panel stiffness.

So, I just ordered a set of Gaia feet because that should address the "flapping in the wind" issue (non-issue according to PG over on his Magnestand site) while retaining the other benefits of the stands. My wife will be in touch with you shortly to add her thanks as well... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:00 am 
Premium User

+100

Love the IsoAcoustic stands under my Dreamcatchers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:05 am 
Premium User

When I had a pair of MMGs for a few months, what frustrated me to most was the instability, especially having a large 80 pound dog and cat around. My best results came from bolting them down to a pair of patio stones which were spiked to the hardwood floor; solved the problem with the dog knocking them over or moving them, but the cat still liked to try climbing them, so my next solution was to bolt them to the ceiling joists upside down. Both solutions really firmed up the sound, but were ultimately just too impractical for the long term. Hence my upgrade to my ML Sources with their heavy cast iron bases that needed no help staying stable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:16 am 

OBI56 wrote:
my next solution was to bolt them to the ceiling joists upside down.

:lol: For real, OBI? I need pics!

-- 10 Feb 2017 15:30 --

OP, makes sense to me. For my Maggie 1.7s, I am using a DIY rollerblock isolation solution set up similar to that advocated by producer Barry Diament.

Pros: sound quality improvement as described by OP & previous posters. Cons: Totally unstable (Maggies, not me :lol: ). In no way cat friendly. See OBI's comment.

Diament thread re: DIY rollerblocks (and inner tubes) for speakers (only 27 pages lol):
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/attention-barry-diament-and-other-speaker-isolation-gurus.154013/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:34 am 

I have always floated my speakers on roller bearing platforms. Same results.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Meridian Explorer2 ... Paradigm PW800 Amplifier... Chord 2Qute.... Auralic Aries Femto... Ice Age Audio Power Cables ... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:44 am 

What's inside the Gaia feet?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:46 am 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The thing about MMG's is to lift them about 1.5-2 feet off the ground and tilt them at the listener. Straight on, or if slightly higher than 2 feet a slight top positive-(toward listener) tilt.

This generally (in all cases I know of) causes the perceived sound quality to shoot through the roof.

It generally creates, if done right.. a giant frontal 3d spaced headphone-ish sound.

So there is this, as an aspect of the thread's scenarios...as a fundamental regarding smaller planar speakers and their room positioning.

The best trick is to have two people hold them just above their heads, in the two original floor positions, and tilted slightly down. Part of the 'introduction to Magenpan MMGs', the 101 course.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:27 am 

mtseymour wrote:
What's inside the Gaia feet?

I like to know this also.
Looking at the drawing it appears not to be a solid block but contains several parts together.
For sure it not a spike feet.
Someone pls explain.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am 

Teo Audio wrote:
The thing about MMG's is to lift them about 1.5-2 feet off the ground and tilt them at the listener. Straight on, or if slightly higher than 2 feet a slight top positive-(toward listener) tilt.

This generally (in all cases I know of) causes the perceived sound quality to shoot through the roof.

Did this to friend's pair of SMGa about 20 years ago. Huge improvement in sound quality, especially the bass response.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:54 am 

Agreed about the Maggies and cats.

My 3 cats cheerfully ignored my MMG's. It was not the case however when I bought home a set of 1.6QR's on Mye stands. The 2 younger cats LOVED to climb up and sit on top of the Maggies.

I ended up selling them off. Too much love for the cats I guess!

Interesting about the use of feet like this for Maggies. I don't recall ever seeing anything about it before.

Mark in Burlington