Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:35 am 

Hi all,

I want to take the time to lift my hat to Omer Humayun from Unity Audio for his accomplishment on the new Inner Soul V2 speakers.

I picked up a brand new pair of Unity Audio Inner Soul V2 on friday. Had the chance to meet and chat with Omer - very nice guy. I want to take the time to acknowledge a truly nice canadian product.

First, the finish is superb; they are in cherry and look fantastic (I believe the pic is on the Unity Audio site). We had visitors yesterday and everyone commented how gorgeous these were. Very nice.

Unfortunately, I don't have a tube amp on hand (looking for one - EL84) so I hooked the Inner Soul V2 on my main system (Aurender A10, Unison Research Unico Pre, Chord SPM1050). I also put them on big'n heavy Totem T6 stands I have (lucky me...). I was very surprised at the quality of the sound that came out those small standmount. With virtually no running time on them (brand new - no break in), the speakers delivered a very nice soundstage and precise imaging and definition. Voices are superb and the mids are promising and I believe will improve with time. Of course, these are not speakers for bass heads or people wanting lots of scale and deepness. But hey, at under a gran, I think they are very good value for those who are looking for a small tube system (the Inner Soul is single driver, no crossover). My visitors had pretty much the same opinion and one of them is particularly picky (my son is a musician...lol)

Can't wait to try them with a small EL84 amp, in a near field set up. My bet is they will be keepers.

So cheers to Omer... A great canadian product.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:08 am 

Hi Yippedidou

I'm glad to here you love your Inner Soul
Can I ask why you didn't buy the Whitewater??
Where did you actually pick them up

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:34 am 

markmiata wrote:
Hi Yippedidou

Thanks

You need to contact Omer, he's selling one on CAM now.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -shipping/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:06 am 

markmiata wrote:
Hi Yippedidou

Thanks

The Inner Soul have the size I wanted as I can also use them as desktop.
I picked them up at Omer's in Ottawa. He also offers shipping I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:08 pm 

Thanks for sharing your impressions Yippedidou!

Yes, shipping across Canada.
As well, there is a home evaluation period available.
Details at the following announcement thread: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=45039

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:16 pm 

I have a pair of the V2 right now for review. Right now I'm driving them with my McIntosh integrated, but I'm looking forward to hooking them up to my 5 watt Finale SEP amp.

Attachments:
30c09226-c7b1-4985-afd2-a21847f4b4b4.jpg
30c09226-c7b1-4985-afd2-a21847f4b4b4.jpg [ 217.45 KiB | Viewed 1458 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:46 pm 

Yippedidou wrote:
Hi all,

I want to take the time to lift my hat to Omer Humayun from Unity Audio for his accomplishment on the new Inner Soul V2 speakers.

What made you spend $750 on a pair of full range speakers without an EQ network that anyone could build for $200?

http://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/fullranges/fr124b8-19f/ X2 screwed into a rectangular box. Accomplishment?

Why wouldn't you choose drastically better performance for less cost from Elac, Paradigm, PSB, etc. ?

Seems like an odd choice. Just trying to understand it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:49 pm 

livio60 wrote:
Yippedidou wrote:
Hi all,

What made you spend $750 on a pair of full range speakers without an EQ network that anyone could build for $200?

http://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/fullranges/fr124b8-19f/ X2 screwed into a rectangular box. Accomplishment?

Why wouldn't you choose drastically better performance for less cost from Elac, Paradigm, PSB, etc. ?

There's more to it than what it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:10 pm 

cableguy wrote:

I see an off-the-shelf full range driver in a rectangular ported box.

Please enlighten me! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:19 pm 

livio60 wrote:
cableguy wrote:

I see an off-the-shelf full range driver in a rectangular ported box.

Please enlighten me! :)

1) the driver has been modified
2) internal wiring is the same as used in my speaker cables
3) roughly 10 hours of labour in cabinetry
4) everything save the driver and plastic parts is made here in Ottawa

As a fellow speaker enthusiast, you have design goals when you build a product.
I wanted to create something unique to offer in the market place that has no equal.
I think I have accomplished that. To date, everyone who hears them, both professional reviewer and casual listener concludes that they sound like nothing else on the market. Granted they aren't for everybody.

The usual suspects from the brands you mention offer very high performance to dollar ratio.
Are any of them made offshore? Probably.

Have my answers enlightened you? Maybe, maybe not.
I have a strong feeling that we see things differently on many levels.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:20 pm 

livio60 wrote:
Yippedidou wrote:
Hi all,

I like being odd... if you want, you can build me a pair for 200$. That would be odd enough for me. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:53 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

While I don't have experience with Omer's speakers, there are a couple of things that need to be said. There are usually things the casual observer doesn't see. Even if there wasn't, can the typical DIY person build them as well? Time comes at a cost. Your time isn't free, so Omer's shouldn't be either.

We build our own audio rack. People think they can build it cheaper. By the time you get someone to do the machining, etc, I beg to differ. Honestly, we don't charge enough for it. Parts costs do not equal a finished product. There is the time in creating a design, building the product and so much more. A handmade product has value.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 pm 

livio60 wrote:
Yippedidou wrote:
Hi all,

Please build a "rectangular box" box with a top notch veneer, and quality drivers, that sounds great. Budget is 200 bucks. Then post some pics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

cableguy wrote:
1) the driver has been modified
2) internal wiring is the same as used in my speaker cables
3) roughly 10 hours of labour in cabinetry
4) everything save the driver and plastic parts is made here in Ottawa

1) UA sticker on the yoke. Yes, your drivers are customized.
2) This explains a lot.
3) As a semi-pro woodworker, that insults my intelligence. If you believe it, also yours.
4) So 80% of the speaker material cost is made in China.

cableguy wrote:
I wanted to create something unique to offer in the market place that has no equal.
I think I have accomplished that. To date, everyone who hears them, both professional reviewer and casual listener concludes that they sound like nothing else on the market.

You have accomplished that and further to my point, like nothing else on the market because the sound isn't accurate and not what most people would choose over an accurate speaker from one of the companies I mentioned.

cableguy wrote:
The usual suspects from the brands you mention offer very high performance to dollar ratio.
Are any of them made offshore? Probably.

That may be the case but you can't really toot that horn given your speaker's most significant part is made in China.

I'm Canadian and support local manufacturing but when you drop a driver in the simplest box possible with no EQ network, spends 10 minutes with WinISD to figure out the cabinet tuning and price it for more than proven well engineered and great sounding speaker, well, that's why I find the OP's choice puzzling. Maybe the answer is the OP values local cabinet manufacturing over everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:37 pm 

dmitchell wrote:

Please build a "rectangular box" box with a top notch veneer, and quality drivers, that sounds great. Budget is 200 bucks. Then post some pics.

That speaker is not built with top notch veneer or a quality driver. And "sounds great" isn't a description that most would use... not even the designer if you read through the lines.

There are two reasons I can think of for your overly glowing evaluation of this speaker. You've never experienced a good sounding speaker built with top notch veneer and drivers or you have something to gain from hyping this speaker. My guess is the latter.