Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: The Cult of Naim
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:47 am 
Premium User

I would be curious to know people's thoughts on how Naim has cultivated such a loyal following. Notwithstanding it being in the audio game a long time, there are few brands that have attracted such a devoted clientele. Point of fact: many Naim disciples aspire to have an all-Naim system and squeal with delight at the sight of photos showing full racks of Naim separates. Lots of other options at the typical Naim price point. So what gives?

Post subject: Re: The Cult of Naim
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:04 am 

Naim doesn't sound like Hi-fi.

Naim sounds like MUSIC. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:05 am 

Member of the trifecta of the long-standing go-to brit cult system...Naim amplification... LP12....LS 3/5A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:19 am 

Sound quality is what put them there in the first place and it appears that they have stayed there, even though their main man died a number of years ago.After such a long tenure in the marketplace, brand loyalty also goes a long way. I think Quad had this as well until the most recent ownership situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:21 am 

Tangram wrote:
I would be curious to know people's thoughts on how Naim has cultivated such a loyal following. Notwithstanding it being in the audio game a long time, there are few brands that have attracted such a devoted clientele. Point of fact: many Naim disciples aspire to have an all-Naim system and squeal with delight at the sight of photos showing full racks of Naim separates. Lots of other options at the typical Naim price point. So what gives?

It looks great, and sounds even better?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:29 am 
Premium User

There has to be more to it than that, surely. We can say "looks and sounds great" about lots of brands. Is it because of smart marketing? Or Naim-specific input/output connections that enhance the sound? For sure, the uniform look across the platform and sticking with that look for a long time adds to the appeal. But...there...must...be...more...to...it. How many companies can remove a feature in an update and be universally lauded for it? Thinking about taking the DAC out of the Supernait. Not many! There are lessons to be learned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:32 am 

Part of it is their upgrade options. Naim are power supply pioneers and people love this. For myself, it is mostly about the sound, I find it unique, and I was hooked after my first listen. I also love the Naim look.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:45 am 

It is the sound , no question. I probably have owned 15 to higher end amplifier systems over the years. Tube and transistor. The most memorable system to this day was the Naim system.It made the best music.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:00 am 

They have a fast, immediate and present sound. The detail is incredible. The endless upgrading potential is attractive, because you think you can always upgrade.

They look great, but don't photograph well. They only look good in photos if you have a lot of Naim boxes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:00 am 

I'm a current Naim black box owner & have not heard the older series but my guess is because Naim was always about making music & not necessarily sounding like typical hifi, so they march to the beat of their own drum compared to many other companies. Because its not your typical "hifi" some people love it, while others may not.

Even within Naim own series you have love & hate between owners as their sonic signature has changed over the years (& is said to be easy heard from model generation to model generation). Personally I find the current black box, especially with the DR amp & power supplies about a perfect match of both making music while still bringing the hifi aspects to the sound.

Now I'm not a fan of everything Naim, I never really clicked with any of their speakers I've heard & I think item like their classic DAC not the best value for the $. The DAC will set you back ~4.5K, which isn't so bad but the fact that you need to spend $6K (or $10K) on top to get a power supply to get the most out of it put me off as at that range I think there are better options.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:20 am 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Fats is a old fart, done 2 channel for awhile and he like name too. Best budget system is a nait 1, a good running LP12 and a pair of small speakers.

Is so good I select it for my daughter as she loves 2 channel too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:35 am 

I have the Canadian version of a hifi cult ! Much improvement to swap out the NAIM pre and amp for Bryston gear. Still love the Prefix though.

LP12 -> NAIM Prefix -> Bryston Pre -> Bryston Amp -> LS3/5A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:35 am 

I know the name and caught this the other day.......just passing it along.

https://www.auctionmaxx.com/Listing/Det ... UPPLY-115V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
I have the Canadian version of a hifi cult ! Much improvement to swap out the NAIM pre and amp for Bryston gear. Still love the Prefix though.

LP12 -> NAIM Prefix -> Bryston Pre -> Bryston Amp -> LS3/5A

Proof that we all hear differently, I have yet to hear a Bryston system that I have any desire to swap out my Naim gear with. Bryston (while seemingly getting better every generation) doesn't make music the way my Naim gear does, while it may possibly be more accurate, I find it more sterile & "solid state" sounding.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:04 am 

Hi All,
I have a primarily Naim system which I will list later. I love the sound of my stereo which is of a modest cost compared to what I see a lot of so called high end systems these days. It seem s to cope effortlessly with any software I throw at it, from Opera to small ensemble acoustic music to fairly heavy Rock or heavily amplified Blues music.

It has also been incredibly reliable, and is pleasing to me visually.

I did do a bit of the upgrade route, and the only time I was not happy is when I found my Nait 3r was not really up to the demands of my Naim SBL speakers.

System:
Linn Basik/Basik arm/Grado cartridge
Naim CDI cd player
Naim NAC 82 Pre W/ Phono Boards
Naim NAP 250 Power Amp (recently re-capped as it is about 20 years old)
Naim SBL speakers
Naim interconnects and speaker cable
Aiwa AD F800 Tape Deck
Sansui AM/FM tuner
Sound Org and Mana Acoustics stands

I think it also reflects the fact that stores that sell Naim tend to be committed to the product.

I have listened to new high end systems that are highly rated in Stereo trade magazines and been quite disappointed with the sound.

Trust me, with really good source material, this system sounds stunning.

Happy Listening, Craig

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next