Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:25 pm 

I have a tube amp and tube preamp that each can use the same tube types (signal and power). Is there any rhyme and reason to how they are best matched? Same, different, whatever works (my current mode)?

Preamp currently has 6L6Gs and 6SN7s. Amp currently has KT66s and 5691s. Considering swapping out the KT66s with KT88s. I've no complaints about the system sound today other than maybe a little more bottom end bass/punch thus the thinking about KT88s.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:40 pm 

I'm not 100% certain what you mean but for what it's worth use whatever tube each component will support and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:13 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
I'm not 100% certain what you mean but for what it's worth use whatever tube each component will support and you should be fine.

I am looking for advice on any optimal matching between preamp and amp in tube numbers (using tubes they support of course). For example, is 6sn7 in each unit best or does it matter. I could do some trialing but perhaps someone here has been through this already.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:27 pm 

driftwoodpine wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

I am looking for advice on any optimal matching between preamp and amp in tube numbers (using tubes they support of course). For example, is 6sn7 in each unit best or does it matter. I could do some trialing but perhaps someone here has been through this already.

This won't be any help either but I can't help thinking that people roll tubes to find what sounds best to them. As a result what works great for me might suck for you. I would think also that since each component is a separate device, what works best in one won't necessarily work best in the other even if they are the same brand. Thus the joy of tubes. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:37 pm 

driftwoodpine wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

I guess it would depend on how critical that specific tube is in the circuit, no?

sounds like yer over thinking this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:03 pm 

BinkyTheCat wrote:
driftwoodpine wrote:
BinkyTheCat wrote:

I guess it would depend on how critical that specific tube is in the circuit, no?

sounds like yer over thinking this.

Quite possibly!