Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:48 am 

anyone have experience with using Slate as a turntable platform or audio shelf/platform.
i have a big piece of 1 1/2'' Italian slate i am thinking of cutting up for a turntable platform.
flat, dense and low resonance is it. i have enough to double up and make it 3'' thick...
actually, i have enough to make a lot of somethings... (think tons)

if you have experimented with such... please advise.
(pm works too).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Actually- I do have some experience!

Years back - more than a decade - I chanced on 2.5cm broken slate from an 8ball (billiard) table. A colleague and I cut that slate into as many different sized pieces as we could to make do as speaker stands, gear platforms, et al.
We took it one step further. We cut up some similar thickness MDF to fit those slate pieces and used some fancy 3M super glue to bond the MDF to the slate to create a two layer piece with similar but different resonances.
Thud.

Still use them. Affixed spikes to the speaker platforms. Put the others under and on all sorts of gear. Was quite surprised to hear the difference when a (shall we say) "inexpensive" old speaker was set on a platform and another piece was laid on the top.
Ditto when a piece was laid on top of a CDP that was placed on another piece.
Same when a turntable was set on a platform. Even better when it sat on a couple of separate pieces.

So -yes. The billiard table slate I used made a difference. Even more-so when the MDF was added.

Give it a shot. I firmly believe that slate is the best stone medium to use.

jac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:47 am 

Our friend from 3D Sound Company's successful experience reflects my own. Most, if not all natural materials have a specific frequency ring and by mating the parent material with MDF or plywood, you effectively decouple the parent material.
Don't pretend to know the science behind this, just know it works from my experience with marble, granite, slate, Panzerholtz and others.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:27 pm 

IME, most natural stones (marble, granite) make a terrible turntable platforms due to their poor damping properties, however, the right kind of slate can be an excellent platform due to it's foliated or lamellar structure which provides constrained layer like damping.

The softer the slate the better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:13 pm 

I currently have slate under my Oppo 103, my P3 turntable and both speaker sets. I found the results very positive; the turntable and deck are isolated efficiently and I found the deck quieter and can actually use an extra notch of volume before harmonics strike...this is a good thing. For the speakers, I use them over a carpeted 3/4 plywoood floor over concrete and 1 1/2 inches of foam.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:55 am 

I would not use slate, But i might use slate as a filler for a platform. You can trying laying slate, then a piece (plank) of wood, then another slate on top of the wood. Finally lay some dampening down. You get the rigidity of the state and then the dampening of the material on top.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:24 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Slate has a very high resonant frequency compared to many other materials. You want a low resonant frequency in any base. Hit it with anything hard and you'll hear the sound that it naturally resonates at. Maple, acrylic, or some kind of sandwich core are all better. An easy one is two cutting boards with a layer of rubber between. Compared to slate you can achieve better isolation with half the weight and thickness and twice the results.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:50 pm 

planetofsound wrote:
Slate has a very high resonant frequency compared to many other materials. You want a low resonant frequency in any base. Hit it with anything hard and you'll hear the sound that it naturally resonates at. Maple, acrylic, or some kind of sandwich core are all better. An easy one is two cutting boards with a layer of rubber between. Compared to slate you can achieve better isolation with half the weight and thickness and twice the results.

Was never able to get the desired resonance performance from slate,marble,granite or MDF due to a high Q for the most part,for these materials and independent of material natural frequency.....ie ...granite high natural frequency/high Q or MDF ragged low frequency characteristic .Bonding the 3 stone materials with (.375 to .5 ") thickness to 3/4" Mdf, using visco elastic or polyester adhesives, in all cases lowered the mechanical noise floor for platforms and shelves......in my own experience,the granite/MDF constrained layer option came out ahead......that being said,a personal preference for DACs,CDPs,Transports & amps. is hard maple with a geometry of 13" by 16"/2.5-3.0 depth of air dried hard maple..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:34 pm 

Check out what Oswalds Mill Audio says about slate plinths, which they have been selling for several years.

The first thing they'll tell you is that not all slate is optimal for turntable plinths. Beyond that, can't say.

They're prejudiced, of course, since it's their business, but one of the principals might respond to a few questions about the benefits and challenges of working with slate.

http://oswaldsmillaudio.com/plinths

[I use 1" slate on silicone pucks under some components, 2" hard maple under another, my own "blend" of hard maple, MDF, 3mm stainless steel and birch plywood under another, and, under some, nothing at all. I wish I could tell the difference, but I can't.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:57 pm 

I d give it a try and even use some neopreme rubber between them . Since the slate is heavy it will squash the rubber filling in the uneven areas if the slate is not too smooth and act as another buffer of isolation. Its good to try many different isolation materials to see if one is better than the other and to tell if your hearing is up to par to hear the changes or if it all sounds the same. Just go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm 

differences of opinions and experiences.
Italian slate is quite different than brazilan,
italian much much softer.
give a 1.5'' thick piece a rap with your knuckles ...
not much resonance. very little transference.

slates composition is different than granite, marble different too.
at this point ... its an experiment,
thickness, materials in a sandwich, over, under etc.
it is stable, italian can be honed close to true flatness.

the experiment continues....
thanks for the comments...
A