Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:10 pm 

Hey guys, I posted a write up today of my MA6600. If you are so inclined, you can check it out here:

http://audioreview.ca/default.aspx?pagename=review&reviewid=7665

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 pm 

Sorry to be negative and I truly hope you are happy with your amp. I know it is a fine amp and sounds really nice. My rant is with their digital side of things where they seem to fall short. I bought an MC452 power amp and C2500 tube preamp and was the proudest person in the world. I never thought I would ever own such a nice amp , preamp. Then the negative reviews started coming in about the poor performance of the DAC in the C2500. Then very prematurely out comes the replacement C2600 because of all the digital problems. There was no correspondence or compensation of any kind offered from MAC or the dealer even though people had spent a lot of their hard earned money thinking they were buying quality equipment. There was no offer of a factory fix. I sold my power amp and pre amp at a loss and have moved on . I have no desire to own MAC again. All that being said , everything analog sounded great and it was more the principal of the issue that they did not try to help out their customers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 am 

While I'm a big fan of Mac gear, I too have found their customer service a little lacking. I had an MCD-201 CD player that suffered from the infamous lock up issues. I actually managed to get Chuck Hinton from McIntosh on the phone, and even though there was a firmware upgrade available to fix the issue, he wouldn't help me out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:14 pm 

dmitchell wrote:
While I'm a big fan of Mac gear, I too have found their customer service a little lacking. I had an MCD-201 CD player that suffered from the infamous lock up issues. I actually managed to get Chuck Hinton from McIntosh on the phone, and even though there was a firmware upgrade available to fix the issue, he wouldn't help me out.

That's ridiculous! :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 pm 

Well I guess since it wasn't a current model, they didn't have a lot of interest in addressing the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm 

Toad Hall wrote:
Sorry to be negative and I truly hope you are happy with your amp. I know it is a fine amp and sounds really nice. My rant is with their digital side of things where they seem to fall short. I bought an MC452 power amp and C2500 tube preamp and was the proudest person in the world. I never thought I would ever own such a nice amp , preamp. Then the negative reviews started coming in about the poor performance of the DAC in the C2500. Then very prematurely out comes the replacement C2600 because of all the digital problems. There was no correspondence or compensation of any kind offered from MAC or the dealer even though people had spent a lot of their hard earned money thinking they were buying quality equipment. There was no offer of a factory fix. I sold my power amp and pre amp at a loss and have moved on . I have no desire to own MAC again. All that being said , everything analog sounded great and it was more the principal of the issue that they did not try to help out their customers.

Welcome to the ever changing world of microprocessors and DSP technology. What's new today is old tomorrow. If you want your preamp to be "current" for any period of time, avoid integrated pre amps with on board DSP technology.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:32 pm 

brf wrote:
Toad Hall wrote:

Welcome to the ever changing world of microprocessors and DSP technology. What's new today is old tomorrow. If you want your preamp to be "current" for any period of time, avoid integrated pre amps with on board DSP technology.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm 

brf wrote:
Toad Hall wrote:

Couldn't agree more.