Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Schiit Freya Users?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:30 pm 

Wondering if anyone north of the border has had a chance to try this preamp. Looks pretty promising but with limited opinions so far.

If anyone in Edmonton is thinking of getting one, keep in touch!

Post subject: Re: Schiit Freya Users?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:21 pm 

I ordered it today!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm 

Very curious to know your thoughts once it's up and running. What do you have in the rest of your system?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:44 pm 

Are you getting it from Schiit in the US, or a cnd source?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:09 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
Are you getting it from Schiit in the US, or a cnd source?

My understanding is that Schiit does not have a Canadian distributor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 am 

Headphone Bar in Vancouver is a dealer, but their stock seems really limited and it doesn't seem they carry the whole line.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 pm 

I got the freya tonight. My dac is schiit bifrost w multibit, amp is bryston 4b3 and speakers are dynaudio focus 380. My previous preamp was arcam reciever so there was a head room for sonic improvement. But man this is awsome. Sound is more transparent with stronger imaging. Huge sound stage. Width and depth are wider and deeper. Also, instruments sound more natural as well, especially piano sound improved a lot. As next upgrade i am thinking of either get gumby or buy after market power cords & power conditioner. But with this setup, i am not sure if i want to spend more money now. By the way i am just usig freya tube gain, have not really played other outputs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:02 pm 

Thanks for the feedback and also outlining your system, that's incredibly helpful! Sounds like they have a real winner on their hands here. I've read from one user that rolling different tubes can really change the sound signature - great for tweakers!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:08 am 

msommers wrote:
Thanks for the feedback and also outlining your system, that's incredibly helpful! Sounds like they have a real winner on their hands here. I've read from one user that rolling different tubes can really change the sound signature - great for tweakers!

Indeed. I almost see company's like schiit audio distruptor in hi fi. I hope more companies will follow what they do. Also there is a professional reviewer just posted review of the new bryston cd player using freya. I mean i don't know how much the sound will improve with more expensive preamp... But the sound i am getting from my system is swanky for me :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:00 pm 
Premium User

Thanks for your impressions, hawkeye.

Someone ought to do a shootout between the Freya and some high end (expensive) preamps. I'd like to eventually do just that. In the meantime, most of what I've read on Head-Fi or Superbestaudiofriends involves individuals discussing how great it is on paper, how noisy the stock tubes are, or (naturally) 6SN7 comparisons. I've also been told that it is a "step above" using the Mjolnir 2 or Jotunheim as a preamp (perhaps even more so than the latter). However, I've yet to read anyone being completely blown away by it, or how it utterly destroyed an $8000 piece of gear or whathaveyou. Going by the marketing behind it, you'd almost expect it to.

Don't get me wrong, at one point or another, I've owned 12 of their products, so it's not as if I don't dig their approach and whatnot. I appreciate that they're making great sound affordable. However, Jason has, for instance, lambasted those "other companies" with their products that use cases milled from a solid block of aluminum, and so on. I agree, it's a little nuts out there. I wonder how something like the Freya would compare to an Ayre KX-5 Twenty though.

Last edited by Turdski on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 am 

Freya arrived yesterday afternoon and I hooked it up after dinner. I won't yet comment on the sound yet as it currently has only been on for a little over 12 hours. It is a nice solid piece of gear, excellent finish especially at the price. I placed the order Sunday morning. Received shipping confirmation Monday morning and it was in my hands Tuesday afternoon.

I'll post an update tonight when I get a chance to listen a little better. Along with associated gear. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:04 am 

There's one thing that's been missing from this thread....

Attachment:
SchiitFreya.jpg
SchiitFreya.jpg [ 133.33 KiB | Viewed 835 times ]

I recently picked up a Bifrost 4490 and am happy with it. Ordering from Schiit was easy and they shipped quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:42 am 

Turdski wrote:
Thanks for your impressions, hawkeye.

Someone ought to do a shootout between the Freya and some high end (expensive) preamps. I'd like to eventually do just that. In the meantime, most of what I've read on Head-Fi or Superbestaudiofriends involves individuals discussing how great it is on paper, how noisy the stock tubes are, or (naturally) tube 6SN7 comparisons. I've also been told that it is a "step above" using the Mjolnir 2 or Jotunheim as a preamp (perhaps even more so than the latter). However, I've yet to read anyone being completely blown away by it, or how it utterly destroyed an $8000 piece of gear or whathaveyou. Going by the marketing behind it, you'd almost expect it to.

Don't get me wrong, at one point or another, I've owned 12 of their products, so it's not as if I don't dig their approach and whatnot. I appreciate that they're making great sound affordable. However, Jason has, for instance, lambasted those "other companies" with their products that use cases milled from a solid block of aluminum, and so on. I agree, it's a little nuts out there. I wonder how something like the Freya would compare to an Ayre KX-5 Twenty though.

On SBAF and Head-Fi, Schiit gets hyped like it's the second coming of Christ. Don't get me wrong, I have two pieces of their higher-end headphone pieces (Gungir Multi-Bit DAC and Mjolnir 2) that I enjoy and quite intrigued by their 2.0 gear coming up - especially their power amp which appears to be incredibly well designed.

The Mjolnir 2 I did not like as a pre-amp but the Gungir definitely has better performance than the dac in my Hegel H360 (really want to try the Yggy).

-- 15 Feb 2017 18:43 --

nutella wrote:
Freya arrived yesterday afternoon and I hooked it up after dinner. I won't yet comment on the sound yet as it currently has only been on for a little over 12 hours. It is a nice solid piece of gear, excellent finish especially at the price. I placed the order Sunday morning. Received shipping confirmation Monday morning and it was in my hands Tuesday afternoon.

I'll post an update tonight when I get a chance to listen a little better. Along with associated gear. Stay tuned.

Definitely looking forward to that. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 am 
Premium User

msommers wrote:

On SBAF and Head-Fi, Schiit gets hyped like it's the second coming of Christ. Don't get me wrong, I have two pieces of their higher-end headphone pieces (Gungir Multi-Bit DAC and Mjolnir 2) that I enjoy and quite intrigued by their 2.0 gear coming up - especially their power amp which appears to be incredibly well designed.

The Mjolnir 2 I did not like as a pre-amp but the Gungir definitely has better performance than the dac in my Hegel H360 (really want to try the Yggy).

Haha. I hear you. It can be a bit of an echo chamber on those places for sure. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Gungnir Multibit. I miss that thing. Had to downsize my system last summer after taking a nice long break from working. I too would like to try the Yggdrasil. Thanks for relaying your experience using the Mjolnir 2 as a preamp. I have been strongly considering picking up one to use primarily as a preamp in my two channel system in the short term (my balanced cable for my Hifimans would also reach my nearby computer desk), and eventually I'd have it at my desk where my Lyr 2 currently sits. Good to know that it didn't do it for you as a preamp. I think their Vali 2 is incredible for the money, and I gather their Jotunheim is as well. Anyhow, I've already picked up two pairs of late 50s Sylvania 6SN7GTB, along with some 6N9S Reflektors, to (possibly) eventually try with the Freya. EDIT: Also, yes: that Vidar looks very good!

nutella wrote:

I'm looking forward to that as well!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:27 pm 

I bought LYR 2 from Headphone Bar. No problem with the unit, no problem with order or the delivery. Very satisfied.

I wrote to Schiit USA about the warranty. I was told Sciit USA doesn't cover the unit with a warranty. The warranty relies on Headphone Bar. Hope not to have problems.

For a used unit, there is no warranty (as per Schiit). Warranty is for the first user only. So think of it twice before buying a used unit to save a few bucks. IMHO, a used SCHIIT unit should have a resale value around 50% the original price.