Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spatial M3 Turbo S
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:33 pm 

These are the worst speakers I have ever bought without a home edition. I am asking for my money back. They have 60 Hz of bass tops even though they are supposed to take a while to break in ...but 32 Hz vereus 60 Hz at best. They are absolutely awful and amongst the worst speakers I have ever heard despite being set up my my dealer.

Audiopath49

Post subject: Re: Spatial M3 Turbo S
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 pm 

I am surprised to hear this. I had a brief audition some months ago and they definitely reached lower than 60 Hz. Something must be wrong with the setup or the speaker or maybe the room has some serious issues.

Are you able to give more details? Other gear used? What speakers did you have before?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 pm 
Premium User

This is the most delusional thing I've read regarding these speakers. The break in process is VERY long with the Spatial products and I learned this by hearing them from out of the box until months later. I haven't heard much better at this price point and I'm very picky about gear. The bass I get out of the pair I listen to with my modest 8 watt SET amp to is only bettered by my Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A's. New Record Day said it best "Terrifically terrifying. The bass rattled my ribcage while beating me down to a happy pulp of audiophile bliss. The only thing I could do… was surrender. Surrender to the Mighty M3’s". To each his own in this hobby and I can see how some might not like them but if I had to sell my gear and get something affordable it would be M3 Turbo S without hesitation. Heck I heard a pair with crossover issues that were still enjoyable so there must be something wrong here.

Any Cammer that wants to hear a pair on a proper setup drop me a line.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/04/ ... ominating/

http://hometheaterreview.com/spatial-m3 ... -reviewed/`

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/ ... port-2015/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghsu3MKVsck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm 

This is one of the most delusional things I've read regarding these speakers. I gather you have a Master's degree in counselling psych so you would be qualified to make this call???

Like I am really F...kin deluded. I have been am audiophile for 40 years. My last sytem was Reference 3a decppos BE (nextel )with PSB 5i sub I have a $2200 Transparent next gen Ultra IC, Moon 260D with Dac and W4S TI 500 and much more . I always got a 40Hz large signal in my room. Now barely 60 Hz. Way to go Clayton you pulled a Tangent making a great review speakers then selling off the reviews whilst producing a far inferior product forr the public. Caveat Emptor!!!

Pure bull****!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:14 pm 

Although the idea of long period break-in for speakers is suspect (at least to me), maybe you ended up with a pair of duds?? miswired? phase? poor dealer set up?

Post subject: M3 Turbo S
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:41 am 

My dealer is a really good person. I will talk to him today.Perhaps they are just that bad in the bass when brand new.He did take time to ensure they were properly installed and and placed for now.I was just so shocked at first,and in all fairness I should have approached him rather than comenting on here.My apologies if I offended anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:22 am 

I'm sure your dealer and James W are more than willing to give you advice on placement. They are a very different speaker design from conventional bass reflex. Put 200-300 hours on them before you play with placement or listen critically.

I have owned a W4S Sti500 and I can say that the bass is tight as all heck, but not necessarily as plentiful as most amps I've used. After you've put a good amount of hours on the Spatials, maybe try a tube amp. I've run Primaluna, Icon Audio, Almarro, Decware, Coincident, McAlister, Jadis, MasterSound, Unison Research and on and on for tubes that all had more body than the W4S STi500 I had. But I do not suspect the amp as much as your room and run in time. I'm sure you'll be more happy with them once you've got some time on them and then start playing with placement.

I've heard the little M2s and they were definitely not devoid of bass. I have not heard your M3 Turbos, however. Ask James W. He will be happy to chat, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:20 am 
Premium User

I'm listening to smaller M4 Turbo S right out of the box on a modest setup comprised of a Rogue Cronus Magnum II and Marantz CD player with Audioquest and Mogami wires. The sound and bass response is superb and will only get better as time passes. I don't even have them placed out in the room. Maybe it's a synergy issue with the amp, cables or something else. You are welcome to come and hear for yourself.

Attachments:
Rogue.jpg
Rogue.jpg [ 106.5 KiB | Viewed 2035 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:13 pm 
Premium User

I've been listening to these for awhile now and they keep getting better and better with break in time.

Happy to see the OP got a good resolve

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... al#p710112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:18 pm 

My Spatial M3 Turbo S changed radically when my dealer lent me a Nordost Heimdall 2 cable.Tons of bass and getting better every day. I am having my DHlabs Q-10 terminated with next gen WBT spades and the other set just bare wire. If that does not work then , I would try some $500 or $1000 retail Audio Quest . My dealer has been very supportive and I was never upset with him. I was angered when they would not produce bass at first in my home and thought I may have gotten a bad pair since the ones at the store here in Kelowna sounded so good...or perhaps due to the sudden popularity of Spatial they were rushed into production. Again I was dead wrong.These are great speakers and the build quality is superb.
Again losing it a little is not how I normally operate and I would like to thank the members who weighted in with suggestions. James you are right. I would highly recommend these speakers to anyone and in saying that ,I know there are others who prefer a different sound. I have a very difficult room and was happy to find something with very few drawbacks and are by design room friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:06 pm 

Re the 6 month well broken in Spatial M3 Turbo S...that this is my final review. Who would have believed that it takes so long with these stiff pro drivers?

I must say with huge apologies, that once these were properly broken in, which took several hundreds of hours, the Satial M3 Turbo S went from the worst sounding speakers* I have ever heard to the best I have ever had in terms of pure coherence and ultimately pure musicality!

In some ways I wish Clayton had a burn in program for these excellent speakers. I do realize for a small company that that not possible in terms of economics.

Without going on and on..."I love these”. I wonder what Clapton's X-2 with an advanced Heil Air motion Transformer (AMT) that I had on previous speakers like Lagacy ,just how good Spatial X-2s are whilst still being a affordable speaker.

Up here in Canada if your budget (I am retired) limits you to under $5K ,then go for these ..The bass ,musicality super low distortion and coherence across to whole audible frequency range takes several hundred hours of solid moderate to higher playing levels to relax and open up but it is worth it! Those are two 15” very stiff drivers and who knows about the compression driver since I have only a rudimentary knowledge of these divers Breaks-in, albeit somewhat due to a questionable room(kills 20-50 Hz with my speakers) I have to employ aging PSB 5i to get the sub 50 Hz bass that I have heard these speakers produce in a larger listening space. They are ,after all, a variation on some SOTA(Eminence) pro drivers.

Well done Clayton.And I say that after 44 years of enjoying this hobby.

Be Well

Bill McCallum

* in my room. Again,they were much ,much better in the store .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:58 pm 

Well this took an interesting turn.

Thanks for the update.

Are there any owners/dealers I'm Alberta?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:56 pm 

Not that I am aware of.The Hifi Attic here in Kelowna B.C. is the Canadian distributor.

I hope this helps

Bill

http://hifiattic.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:14 pm 

As a additional side note, I am not aware of any speakers ...and I have heard dozens of speakers in this price range... that are as outright musical as these. See if you can find a pair with at least 200 hard hours on them. Do not worry about damage, beyond reason of course ,since these are pro drivers and very durable. Also, the dealer here in Kelowna is fantastic. He even said I will take them back full credit but encouraged me to wait. I trusted him and glad I did. I have never had a component that required this much break-in which is most likely due to the pro drivers since they are stiff and barely move compared to most speakers I have heard or owned. Well done Clayton.These are absolute winners in this price range.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:20 pm 

I own the M3 triode masters and liked them right way.I believe the Spatial hologram series are superb and unbeatable value.Musicality,lighting quick punchy hard hitting bass with shocking imaging