Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:31 pm 

I wanted to share a great tweek I did to my Rega DAC R. I replaced the stock fuse with a Furutech fuse;

The Furutech fuse renders the Rega DAC R much more transparent and clear. It cleans up the slight grain in the treble. It does all of this without changing the character or flavour of the Rega. It still has all of the Rega qualities: warmth, rhythm, analog sounding. It is much more transparent, but never bright. Imagine Rega made a more expensive DAC with the familiar Rega sound, this is what it would sound like.

I put the fuse in with the F of Furutech towards the fuse holder, and the H of Furutech towards the DAC. It seems to be ideal this way.

I was thinking of trying out more expensive DACs. I no longer feel the need. This tweek has greatly elevated the sound quality of my Rega DAC R, while keeping its qualities.

Last edited by Scudder on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:17 pm 

Is this a joke of some sort? You put stickers on the IC's and the sound changed?!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:46 pm 

I, too, am skeptical of the "chips". But have other people heard of the foil appliques that go on CDs and LPs that are supposed to change the sound? I've tried these, and found no discernible differences. This seems like the same sort of placebo effect... And I think cables do make a difference. Maybe it's just us Newfies though...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:55 pm 

It's not a joke, nor the placebo effect.

Last edited by Scudder on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:04 am 

Funny you mention this tweak, I placed corn chips on my DAC and the sonic gains were immense! rock music now has much more crunch! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:55 am 

A visit to the VH Audio site quickly showed that this "quantum chip" product is a scam. The moderators of this forum should ban this OP immediatley.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:17 am 

sootboots wrote:
A visit to the VH Audio site quickly showed that this "quantum chip" product is a scam. The moderators of this forum should ban this OP immediatley.

Unbelievable. Explain how you come to this conclusion that the product is a scam. You are attacking a well known vendor for no reason.

As for demanding that CA ban me; I have been here 11 years. You signed up yesterday just to rant against this product and make accusations.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:25 am 

I know nothing about the vendor but that product is completely fraudulent. There are laws in this country to protect consumers against this type of scam, if anyone has fallen for it they should report it to thier Consumer Affairs office. In the meantime, Canuck Audio Mart should flag fraudsters like this as it gives the entire legitimate industry a bad name.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 am 

sootboots wrote:
I know nothing about the vendor but that product is completely fraudulent. There are laws in this country to protect consumers against this type of scam, if anyone has fallen for it they should report it to thier Consumer Affairs office. In the meantime, Canuck Audio Mart should flag fraudsters like this as it gives the entire legitimate industry a bad name.

How do you know the product is fraudulent? Have you tried it? Until you try it, all you have is an uninformed opinion.

You have never posted here before, never contributed, but now you feel compelled to pick a fight over this?!

I take great offense at you calling me a fraudster and publicly asking CA to ban me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:22 am 

This is absurd. Good bye!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:54 am 

Scudder wrote:
sootboots wrote:

How do you know the product is fraudulent? Have you tried it? Until you try it, all you have is an uninformed opinion.

You have never posted here before, never contributed, but now you feel compelled to pick a fight over this?!

I take great offense at you calling me a fraudster and publicly asking CA to ban me.

You reported what you heard, no one is being forced to try the tweaks. A ban? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:01 am 

sootboots wrote:
This is absurd. Good bye!

Talking out of your rear end, like you do is absurd.

You make offensive accusations, and do not bother to explain on what you base your accusations on. You have been rude and disruptive, with no attempt whatsoever to have a civilised conversation about this product.

I only shared my impressions, so that it could benefit people who would like to try these products. No one is forced to do anything. I did not start this thread to engage in mud slinging, with someone who is looking to vent his anger.

I will gladly discuss these products as long as people remain respectful and polite. We don't have to agree, but a minimum of civility and politeness is required.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 am 

I have a Rega DAC non R that sounds very good. I even preferred it to the Teddy. Do you think the R is an improvement over the original in sound quality? I am looking for more bass in my all Naim system. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:45 pm 

mikeybaby wrote:
I have a Rega DAC non R that sounds very good. I even preferred it to the Teddy. Do you think the R is an improvement over the original in sound quality? I am looking for more bass in my all Naim system. Thanks!

I have not compared the Rega DAC R to the non R. Do you use the USB input on your DAC? If so, the asynchronous input on the R is much better.

If not, I can't imagine the R is that much better than the non R. Although, when Toneaudio reviewed the R, they said it was noticeably better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 am 

Scudder wrote:
The WA Quantum chips

The gains in transparency are surprising. Every instrument and singer is better delineated. The separation between performers is much better. This delineation and separation of instruments and voices was the biggest effect of the chips. The sound is less muddled. It is like turning a lens on a camera and putting an image that was 90% in focus, to 100%. BIG difference.

Another thing that surprised me, was that the chips added a bit of rhythmic snap. I have a Naim 5i integrated amp with the Rega DAC R. So, pace, speed, rhythm and timing (the famous PRAT) was not a weak point of my system. Despite that, the chips gave my system a little more snap and rhythm. All of these benefits came with no loss of speed or dynamics, or dulling of the sound. No tradeoffs!

I was thinking of trying out more expensive DACs. I no longer feel the need. These two tweeks have greatly elevated the sound quality of my Rega DAC R, while keeping its qualities. All for a whopping 134$!

I have included pictures of the chips inside the DAC. It is really easy to take off the cover and install them (just be careful to detach the ground wire).

LOL holy snake oil batman! This has to be one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen! :lol:

-- 09 Mar 2017 13:52 --

mikeybaby wrote:

Look at your room acoustics, speakers, or add a sub if you want to add bass. Changing DACs isn't going to do much.