Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hana cartridge
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 pm 

Have any members had a chance to hear the Hana line of moving coil cartridges. I am interested in the low output version and have heard and read some favourable reviews. They are made by Excel out of Japan.

Post subject: Re: Hana cartridge
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:06 pm 

I have read a lot of great things about a lot of cartridges.. So the reviews to seem to carry a lot of weight these days but saying that... I do know a reviewer who has one and loves his.. So that should say something.. I have heard it for a short spell and I seriously do not think you can go wrong in that price point..
It's Christmas, go buy one and let us all know what you think and what your using it on.. :-)

Good luck and have fun, cause as much work as vinyl can be, it sure is fun!!!

Peace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:08 pm 
Premium User

Heard one for a very short period of time. Very nice, no obvious vices, but not long enough to form a definite opinion. Given the chance, I would definitely have a much longer listen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:44 pm 

A buddy has the low output elliptical mc and likes it . I thought it sounded pretty nice , warm but detailed . 400 ohm loading works well . It is my next planned addition . It's lite weight makes it easy to fit with a Jelco 12 gram headshell and keep the weight under 19 grams if needed . Good price too .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:20 am 

My Lyra Delos needs a retip. I think I am going to buy the low output Shabata tip Hana. If I do I will report my findings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:29 pm 

Curious is anyone has used one of these on a Rega table? I'm thinking I may move away from Rega next time I need a cartridge & wondering if the SL Lo might be something to consider, currently using an Exact2 on my RP-6.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:15 pm 
Premium User

daren_p wrote:
Curious is anyone has used one of these on a Rega table? I'm thinking I may move away from Rega next time I need a cartridge & wondering if the SL Lo might be something to consider, currently using an Exact2 on my RP-6.

Also curious about this... and I'm assuming this would need to shim and weight kit to fit on a rega arm?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:26 am 

kawihornet wrote:
daren_p wrote:

Also curious about this... and I'm assuming this would need to shim and weight kit to fit on a rega arm?

I did read that the Hana would just bolt on to replace the exact without any shims but haven't confirmed. If this was the case it would definitely be a plus to me. Though I have briefly looked at some of the adjustable vta pieces & some look interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:49 am 
Premium User

daren_p wrote:
kawihornet wrote:
daren_p wrote:

I did read that the Hana would just bolt on to replace the exact without any shims but haven't confirmed. If this was the case it would definitely be a plus to me. Though I have briefly looked at some of the adjustable vta pieces & some look interesting.

Just spoke with a dealer who sells Hana Cartridges. Rega arms do need the vta adjusted ie/shim etc in order to accept
the cartridge...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:21 am 

kawihornet wrote:

Just spoke with a dealer who sells Hana Cartridges. Rega arms do need the vta adjusted ie/shim etc in order to accept
the cartridge...

If that's the case, not too surprised. They appeared to be different sizes just from looking at them but the info was supposed to be from an actual Rega user who did the swap. Don't recall which forum I saw it on now. I did find some info on previous users of the exact who had made the swap & it definitely sounds like one I'll want to look into further.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:51 am 

Just mounted the SL on my P5/RB700 last night. Started with a 1mm spacer for VTA. Spent most of the night playing with load and gain settings on my pre, but I'm pretty impressed with the sound right out of the box. Of course, as luck would have it, I have a slight head cold, so my ears aren't perfect right now. Anyway, I've decided to let the cartridge break in for at least 40 hours before I start playing with VTA...it's such a PiTA on a Rega (we all knew it going in!), I just want to make sure I'm not adjusting VTA to compensate for new cartridge harshness. For reference, I was using a Grado Reference Sonata previously and I loved it. The Hana was recommended to me as an upgrade that would maintain the great mids and vocals of the Sonata that I loved so much. I just got tired of "settling" for the inner track hum created by the ungrounded Rega and the unshielded Grado cart. It's a shame, really. The Grados sound so good with Rega to my ears. Again, so you get an idea of the sound I prefer, I had an Ortofon 2M Black at one point, and couldn't sell it quickly enough. Great detail, but lifeless IMO...at least in my setup. I will update as the cartridge breaks in. If there is anyone else out there with a Rega/Hana setup or even just the Hana, PLEASE post your findings as well. Very tough right now to get any sort of info on this cartridge. As of now, I'm using 55db gain, 300 ohm load, 2g VTF, and a 1mm spacer for Rega VTA.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:23 am 
Premium User

Kidkoffee wrote:
Just mounted the SL on my P5/RB700 last night. Started with a 1mm spacer for VTA. Spent most of the night playing with load and gain settings on my pre, but I'm pretty impressed with the sound right out of the box. Of course, as luck would have it, I have a slight head cold, so my ears aren't perfect right now. Anyway, I've decided to let the cartridge break in for at least 40 hours before I start playing with VTA...it's such a PiTA on a Rega (we all knew it going in!), I just want to make sure I'm not adjusting VTA to compensate for new cartridge harshness. For reference, I was using a Grado Reference Sonata previously and I loved it. The Hana was recommended to me as an upgrade that would maintain the great mids and vocals of the Sonata that I loved so much. I just got tired of "settling" for the inner track hum created by the ungrounded Rega and the unshielded Grado cart. It's a shame, really. The Grados sound so good with Rega to my ears. Again, so you get an idea of the sound I prefer, I had an Ortofon 2M Black at one point, and couldn't sell it quickly enough. Great detail, but lifeless IMO...at least in my setup. I will update as the cartridge breaks in. If there is anyone else out there with a Rega/Hana setup or even just the Hana, PLEASE post your findings as well. Very tough right now to get any sort of info on this cartridge. As of now, I'm using 55db gain, 300 ohm load, 2g VTF, and a 1mm spacer for Rega VTA.

Have you done the Rega arm wiring upgrade?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 am 

kawihornet wrote:
Kidkoffee wrote:

Have you done the Rega arm wiring upgrade?

No, sir, not yet... I have the Groovetracer platter and sub, Michell counterweight, white belt, TTPSU. Didn't take long for somebody to push me in the direction of spending more money modding this deck :) . It is with great hesitation that I must say, why do you ask?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:43 am 

Saw these advertised in Stereophile lately, and hadn't heard about them before. Don't recall seeing a review in the rag, but I may have missed it as I'm not reading as much as I would like these days.

I have a Rega RP-3 with Gt upgrades and such, and had long been debating going LOMC for a while, but wanted to try Grado or Soundsmith carts first in the $300 - $500 range used first probably Sonata, Otello or Carmen perhaps. But heard that Grado isn't the best with a Rega table. So, I was considering mounting it on my JA Michell with RB250 (would give me similar matching with the arm as the Rega table) hopefully without the noise from the motor.

Either way, the Hana would be something I'd consider perhaps even the MM version or HOMC version. They seem to have a versatile product line.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:51 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Once you go LOMC, you never go back.

Meaning, once you get LOMC to sing, you've got zero compelling reasons to deal with any other configuration. After you 'get it' via getting there, you realize that what you are hearing is so correct... that there is just no point with moving in any other direction, or revisiting older directions.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but it is based on experience.