Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:10 pm 
Premium User

After some careful decision making I've ordered a new pair of Audio Note AN-J speakers for my secondary setup. It's a smaller room that will allow me to use corners for the speakers.

So this is a question for the tube amp owners out there. This is not a strong area of knowledge for me as my experience is limited to owning about 10 tube amps over the years. What in your opinion is the best under $2500 used tube amp out there? SET is preferred but not mandatory. The cheaper the better in this case. I really enjoyed the upgraded little Finalé F-168 when I had it, would it be up to the task? I regret selling the Line Magnetic LM-211 now but at this point I'd like to try something new.

Maybe it's time to finally try a Space-Tech Lab piece...has anyone tried pairing Audio Note with one?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 pm 

Hey James..
Best of the season to you and congrats on your speakers.
Can't really weigh in here on upper end tube amps but im sure your choice will be a great one.
Best of luck.
Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:30 pm 

Coincident dynamo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:35 pm 

VTL TT would be my first choice....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:42 pm 

Thought I posted to this thread; didn't come through. So what I want to know, James, are you just baiting Richard? :-)
If you wanted to try a Line Magnetic amp on the ANs, there's this: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6492 ... wner-gold/

Last edited by EL34 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:46 pm 
Premium User

I you want refined power, Elekit TU8340VK (50WPC KT-150), for SET, Elekit TU-8200 DX (8WPC 6L6)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:49 pm 
Premium User

EL34 wrote:
Thought I posted to this thread; didn't come through. So what I want to know, James, are you just baiting Richard? :-)
If you wanted to stay try out a Line Magnetic amp on the ANs, there's this: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6492 ... wner-gold/

No baiting here sir! I'm pretty excited actually. I loved the way percussion instruments sounded last time I heard AN speakers.

Hmm the 518 looks perfect but is a bit out of budget for now. I haven't told my wife I bought the AN-J's :shock:

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Hey James..
Best of the season to you and congrats on your speakers.
Can't really weigh in here on upper end tube amps but im sure your choice will be a great one.
Best of luck.
Keep us posted.

Thanks Chip! all the best to you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:00 pm 

Ah yes the wife , this is allways a factor that has to come in to the Decision making .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:03 pm 

I suppose it depends on what you want to listen to. And the volume level. Smaller room as in ?x? Integrated or power amp ?

The "best under $2500 used tube amp" question is hard because I don't believe in the "best" amplifier concept. Too many tastes and variables.

One amp that has always intrigued me (never tried) was the Almarro a318. You get 18 watts of SE output here, and I've seen them used for less than $2K but they are not common. There's 2 flavours of this amp, based on feedback choices.

Attachment:
Almarro_a318.jpg
Almarro_a318.jpg [ 111.44 KiB | Viewed 3879 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:12 pm 

Another thought, maybe you can boot it down to Oliver and see if Minimalist Audio has anything that mates nicely with the Js. Perhaps you could even arrange to take an amp or two home so you could hear it all in situ before spending your money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:16 pm 
Premium User

Sorry I should have been more specific.

The room is 15x12 with 8ft ceilings. I'd like to stick with an integrated as it will be placed on top of a small cabinet. Listening will be at low to mid volumes.

Would it be a wiser choice to stick with a new tube amp vs. used? I've only had new to this point.

Last edited by James_W on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 pm 

Ok then, an integrated amp. I can vouch for MasterSound. Beautiful sounding amps; good midrange especially, full harmonic presentation. Extended, airy and decent if not superior bass. And if this guy's amp is in good shape, it's a good deal at the top of your budget:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... rom-italy/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:11 pm 

Used Bel Canto SETi 40 integrated amplifier (or SET40 power amplifier version if you have a pre. amplifier already).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:31 pm 

Since you enjoyed the Finale amp maybe you you should call Frank and see if he has something that would suit your needs, i have seen that he is selling some prototypes at some good prices.

Just chiming in as a happy Finale audio customer, i have the F7189 and it drove a pair of 89db tetra 305's with authority

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:56 pm 

Go the Cables thread where it talks about the Audio Note Cobra - Cobra is an amp not a cable so it's in the wrong area. It's not out yet but they are in the $2k to $2,500 range 27 watt per channel. I just discussed the amp on Monday as I met with Peter Qvortrup and Andy Grove (their designer) for coffee at the airport on their way out of town. The Cobra isn't out yet as they're still working on the volume and control knob which will be frosted lighted affairs. It is push pull however.

Bob Neil's best selling combo (Amherst Audio) is the AN J with the OTO - the OTO is a SEP which is at least Single Ended and affordable OTO Line SE lists at $3,287US and is probably their best selling amplifier as a result it will also likely be the most common to come up second hand - a 13-15 year old one (Line or Phono) will come up second hand for $1,700 - $2,400 (which is what they sold for back then) but which is less expensive against the new price now.

The Izero (thanks to Brexit) is $1992 US and The OTO Push Pull is $2,490 - The SE is better but the OTO PP is still better than the I-zero

Alternatively the separates are also no more affordable (Brexit and doing away with importers) so the M1 Line Preamp lists at $1826US and the P1SE lists at $2900 (or you could look at ANKits for the power amp section (or indeed the whole thing but resale value may be poor on a kit so you kind of have to be sure you would want to keep it for the long haul). The problem with the separates is you need another wire. The I zero Sounds good but the long warm up time may not be to your liking.

You could probably find an M-Zero or M-1 from the last generation for around $700-$1200ish and I personally like the looks of the older series to the new series.

If you only have one input in a bedroom system - the P1SE also has a volume attenuation so it can serve as a one input amp.

Audio Note is better together and is designed for SE.

-- 26 Nov 2016 03:03 --

This person has just a CD player going into the P2SE - so it can be done relatively cheaply.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next