Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:52 am 

Been doing research for a new (used) speakers for my Line Magnetic. I am overwhelmed with the selections. I don't have the opportunity to audition and I would like to keep my purchase to the used market. My budget is under $6k.
My current set up consist of Bryston BDP-1, BDA-1, and Line Magnetic LM-219IA. My current speakers are NHT VT-2 and Snell Type E-2. I like the sound-staging of NHT but they lack dynamic due to the low wattage of my amp. The Snell provide the dynamic but lacking the refinement and details.
I do not want to change my amp. It's a keeper.
I am leaning towards Audio Note AN-E thanks to Richard Austen (RGA) but the problem is they don't come on the used market very often.
I don't like horn speakers. Heard the La Scala with my amp and they're not my cup of tea.
What other options are out there?

Thanks,

Soukseum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:05 am 

I cannot recommend enough vintage tannoy 15" DC's. These breath dynamics like few other speakers. Definitely get something efficient, in the 95db+ range if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:37 am 

halebopp76 wrote:
I cannot recommend enough vintage tannoy 15" DC's. These breath dynamics like few other speakers. Definitely get something efficient, in the 95db+ range if possible.

Thanks halebopp76 for the recommendation. Never listened to a tannoy before. Are they the same speaker tech as the Kef co-ax? I still have the Kef RDM-2 and they're in my second system. Not my favorite speakers.
Still trying to wrap my head around a single driver providing all the frequency.

S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:43 am 

I'm not familiar with those KEF's. I have owned a pair of KEF LS50's and R900's, what I can say is that the Tannoy 15" just had a more natural feel to the music and sense of ease that was not their with other smaller driver speakers. Also, having the dual concentric approach is a nice compromise in dynamic speakers over planar speakers. Similar "air" to planners, but dynamics and staging of coned drivers without phase problems associated to multi driver designs. The only downfall is that the midrange can suffer from being a bit beamy due to the size of the driver. I don't experience this as I (like you) have a decent front end and amplification. Here, simpler is always better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am 

Oh, and Tannoy's are not a single driver speaker. They have the tweeter (compression horn loaded) in the centre of the woofer. They have been making speakers for 80 years, so they know a thing or two about making them. I personally would stay away from single driver speakers. You just can't ask a speaker to perform from 20Hz to 20KHz from a single driver. The response curve if even possible would be all over the place, very coloured sound.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:39 am 

If you like AN, you probably recall that one of Richard Austen's substitutes for that speaker is the O series Devores. So for $6G USD there's these: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... orangutan/
Maybe a little bargaining is in order to get them closer to Can$ equivalent. I might get them anyways. Devore speakers seem to keep their value.

I can also recommend the Devore 9. A lovely, well balanced speaker with a big, airy stage and great tonality. The LM-219 will make either sing:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... ity-nines/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 am 

What guys think about VSA VR4-SR? 92db sensitivity. One on CAM right now. Anyone have any experience with these speakers with tube amp? Thanks for the suggestions EL34.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:58 am 
Premium User

I second the Devore Nine's ... I'm using the Nine's with the Line Magnetic 218ia, and they are a nice match in my setup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:28 am 

taylor514 wrote:
I second the Devore Nine's ... I'm using the Nine's with the Line Magnetic 218ia, and they are a nice match in my setup.

Please more impressions taylor514! How's the imaging? Wall of sound? or pinpoint imaging? Do they need a stand to maximize its performance? Can you post some pictures of your set up?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:52 am 
Premium User

My room is not dedicated, or treated etc., and with that fact noted, the speakers image very nicely and put out a large soundstage making the speakers disappear. They are floor models and do not require a stand. I have had the Nines in my setup for several years now, and have no plans of replacing them any time soon. And if by chance you were not happy with the sound of the Nines, they have a very healthy resale market.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:39 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

You could look at Focal Aria 948's at 91 db they would work well with your Line Magnetic. I have run 300B's & KT120's with very good results, Absolute Sound ranked them a best buy for 5K. Why go used when you can get new for a good price?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:50 pm 

Anyone here driving their Von Schweikert VR4-SR with tube amp? Would like to know your thoughts on the combo. I see that the VR4-SR is rated at 92db sensitivity but I'm not sure if they are tube friendly. I can't seem to find the impedance curve on these speakers. Any help would be great appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:58 pm 

I've never heard those speakers, but according to Doug Schroeder's review in Dagogo: "In my experience, these speakers are made for tubes, at least tubes somewhere in the amplification chain. The two most noteworthy experiences I had were with the Pathos Classic One MkII tube hybrid’s (2) in bridged mode, and the newly minted Eastern Electric BBA 'Buffer' Amp with the aforementioned D-200 monos."

http://www.dagogo.com/von-schweikert-vr ... ker-review

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:31 pm 

hey there, for what is worth I have the Line Magnetic 210IA with the Devore O93 and it is an amazing combo (auditorium cables). Had Boulder with PMCs before and this is clearly the better sound to my ears and preferences (and most of my friends who knew both systems)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 pm 

n4237557 wrote:
hey there, for what is worth I have the Line Magnetic 210IA with the Devore O93 and it is an amazing combo (auditorium cables). Had Boulder with PMCs before and this is clearly the better sound to my ears and preferences (and most of my friends who knew both systems)

Wow that's quite an accomplishment. Bettering the Boulder and PMC combo. The Line Magnetic amps are very sweet sounding and with great slam. Now you got my curiosity going with the Devore. Were did you purchase it and how much? It seems the Devore and the AN-E are hard to find on a used market. I guess that tells you something about owner satisfaction with these speakers.