Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:53 pm 

In the market for an integrated amp. What's the best you've heard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:04 pm 

Simaudio I-5 LE 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:08 pm 

What do the Simaudio go for used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:13 pm 

Hi Lisa,
They go for around US$1100 to $1500 @ a'gon, seen them here occasionally as well for around $1800 can

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... 1169054733

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:15 pm 

What's your budget? Output power (60 watts, 100watts)? Do you need a phono input? Care to try a hybrid integrated (solid state amp, tube preamp section)? What equipment will you be using with the integrated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:16 pm 

The I-5 LE replaced a very long list of separates for me (Krell, Classe etc).
Quite happy with it, seems to do everything well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:27 pm 

Starting from scratch....again. Moved intoa converted warehouse, tall ceilings, brick walls polished concrete floors. I had a very good system that sounded like crap in my new space...so sold it all (Vandy model 5, pass labs, bryston, cables, you name it). Kept my Musical fidelity A5 CdP. Just bout MM DeCapo's, want to simplify things with an integrated amp. I also need new cables. would love some help/oppinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:30 pm 

I'd stay away from tubes with the DeCaps. I think they're mids are rich enough without and too unnatural with.

I know....everyone else thinks otherwise....but I tried both ss and tubes and really preferred ss by a long shot with them.

You have a lot of room given their efficiency....not like there are many choices above 100W anyways in an integrated.

I tried 'em with:
-Sim I-5 (the obvious choice). I-3 too - but the I-5 sounded more refined to me, and I felt the DeCaps benefited from that extra refinement in the highs. Perhaps the new 'i' tweet is a lot smoother.
-Musical fidelity A3 series....but the A5 is a brutish, analytical and a dry power house IMO. Big diff there b/w the series. Loves the A3 however. A308 is supposed to be very good.
-Cary SLI-80. See above comments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:35 pm 

Thansk Elliot,
I have been considering musical fidelity, as well... don't see very much of it used on CAM lately.

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:37 pm 

mmmmm.....MF A308 :lol: yummy. Errr, try that little U.S. audio site they got goin' on down there. A-something or other. Forget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:07 pm 

My Rowland Concentra II. Powerful, musical, liquid and totally engaging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:17 pm 

BAT VK300 is the best I've heard at any price, and judging by your past expenditures isn't out of your reach. I'd consider the Magnum Dynalab MD208 or MD308 if I couldn't get the BAT. Beyond that the "uncompromising approach" drop offs and the competition gets crowded around $1500.

Post subject: intergraded
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:32 pm 
Premium User

hi lisa
i would dump the decapo's you have , you need a small space with those speakers ....
look for a conrad johnson intergraded very sweet sound, and why not stick with the cheaper vandersteen's either the 2ci's or the 1c's or b's
get some cardas cable cheap stuff ......
solid state stuff tends to sound like crap unless you dish out mega bucks ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:45 pm 

weisbe wrote:
I'd stay away from tubes with the DeCaps. I think they're mids are rich enough without and too unnatural with.

I've found them to be great in the upper bass, lower mid potion, but find them a bit dark in the upper midband. I recall that divertech recommends these with Tube ampifiers. He caries Antique Sound Labs and also Copland Tube products.

I'd recommend to Lisa to audition in house to determine what suits her needs. Personally I'd stick with Tubes (CARY SLI80 :lol: ), but in solid state lood for a Sugden a21a or an Accuphase Class A Integrated, you won't need any more power than these with DeCapos.

As for cables, I really like the VandenHul lineup as they sound great to me, but don't carry the uber price tag of most brand names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:50 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Perhaps we should start with what was wrong with your old system, which by all standards should have been a good system (if it wasn't for the Bryston :P)...but the Vandy 5s are awesome. Why dump them?

Your Premier Canadian Oppo Dealer (http://solutionsav.ca/oppo.html). Please consider purchasing your Oppo from a CAM supporter. Thanks to all CAM members for your continued support! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next