Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: To buy or not to buy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:51 pm 

I'm considering purchasing an older out-of-print MFSL CD from a discogs seller in the Russian Federation. He has a positive feedback score of 99.5% going back to 2013; 3 neutrals and 1 negative for a total of 218 transactions.

One of the neutrals' hints that the buyer believes that the CD he bought might be counterfeit or pirated; the seller made no qualifying comment upon receiving that feedback.

The MFSL title I'm looking it is a pretty rare one; not many floating around on ebay and the few that are available are sealed and well over $100.00. One is $485.00 and admittedly that's insane, especially when you consider that this CD is available on SACD for less than $50.00.

In light of that, I realize paying over $40.00 for a redbook MFSL gold disc is not a very wise investment but I don't have a SACD-capable player at the moment. The CD in question is about $68.00 including shipping.

So I was wondering what your thoughts and opinions are on the efficacy of buying music media (CDs' in particular...) from the Russian Federation and China. Would it be a lot of work and effort to duplicate the distinctive appearance of a MFSL gold disc? Or would it be relatively easy?

Is it worth the risk that some of those CDs' could be counterfeit/pirated even though many individual sellers appear to be legit and have a lot of positive feedback to show for it? Would you risk your own money or would you move on to other sellers in N. America and Europe?

And please don't tell me to buy a SACD player and be done with it. :)

Post subject: Re: To buy or not to buy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:07 pm 

Which CD is it?

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:29 pm 

Hi
My opinion in regards to your concerns.
I own a few Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Gold cd's. I bought them brand new in the (90's) ,Pink Floyd-Steve Miller Band-Santana-CCR and some other titles.Yes even then they were expensive,I don't think that much about the sound on them ,they are OK in my opinion.But don't take this seriously because I haven't done critical comparison just my personal experience and impressions. In general for me it's the music that moves me more than the quality of recording/mastering/pressing e.t.c.

I never bought anything from Russia and I believe neither from China. However I buy a lot of cd's from ebay from England-Germany-Japan-Australia-USA-Canada-Spain-Greece. I always use Paypal and yes on two occasions the cd's were lost in the mail.One time it was from Greece (I am Greek myself) and another time from Germany.Both times the sellers made good efforts and gave me replacements or refunds.
I never bought from Discogs but came close to but last minute changed my mind as I prefer buying new sealed cd's rathen than used but I do exceptions depending on availability.

There is this Boxset of 45 cd's that came out in late 90's from a small record label in Greece called Music Box the series is called (Μοντερνοι Ρυθμοι του '60---45 Συλλεκτικα Cd) / (Modern Rythms of 60's---45 Collectible Cd) all Garage Rock from the 60's Mod-Freakbeat from small bands-one hit wonders.The Boxset is very rare -discontinued and the label is out of business,I have found one eBay merchant who is in Athens and promised to find me all the discs slowly and so far has found 19 of the 45 discs. It has cost me a lot of money (relatively speaking) but I don't mind ,I know I want them and I am willing to pay the premium price they demand due to rarity.

One other time I bought cd's advertised as new (from England) were in fact arrived opened and slightly used but they were priced very low so I overlooked it and didn't complain.

I am not sure if gold discs can be duplicated and made to appear genuine ,but I will go out on a limb and say probably YES.
If I were you and wanted that title so much and in MFSL Gold I would just buy the sealed ones (at over 100 dollars) and be done with it,then you know its the real deal and there aren't any afterthoughts troubling your mind in the future. So in short buy from North America -Europe go for the sealed copy and invest the money and rest assure .

Best Regards
George

Last edited by Yiorgos on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:48 pm 

Interested to know which title.

I won't tell you to buy a SACD player,but the majority of SACD'S released are hybrid discs with a 16/44 layer playable on any CD or DVD player. Perhaps the SACD version of the title you are interested in is a hybrid. Did you check?

I have and still own several MFSL Utradiscs and to tell you the truth, for the most part, I haven't found them to be worth the extra expense, sound quality wise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:21 pm 

go for it!
I have bought cd's from many foreign sellers with great success including russian sellers
I bought one of my "holy grail" SACD's from Holland as it was an amazing good deal-I was in Mexico and it shipped here to BC and it was here when I got home

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:49 pm 

good sound wrote:
Interested to know which title......Perhaps the SACD version of the title you are interested in is a hybrid. Did you check?

It is a hybrid SACD so I could play it on my CDP. I have a few hybrids (Let It Bleed, Blood On The Tracks and Blonde On Blonde) and I have to say I wasn't completely satisfied with the sq. I plan on buying a SACD player at some point in the future and I want a decent one but I'm not ready to spend Oppo or XA5400ES kind of money right now. So truthfully it makes little sense to pay big bux for the MFSL when I might acquire a SACD player 3-6 months from now.

yiorgos wrote:
If I were you and wanted that title so much and in MFSL Gold I would just buy the sealed ones (at over 100 dollars) and be done with it,then you know its the real deal and there aren't any afterthoughts troubling your mind in the future.

Quadzilla wrote:
Which CD is it?

Well that's why I'm playing it close to the vest and avoided mentioning the specific title I'm considering purchasing. I have paid nearly $90.00 for certain MFSL titles several years ago but for obvious reasons I won't pay that much now. The sealed versions are priced at $120.00, $125.00, $129.00, $195.00 and the aforementioned $485.00.

But there is a version in the UK that comes packaged in the longbox and not the standard MFSL jewel case with the lift mechanism. This one would be just shy of $50.00 shipped. So I'm loathe to mention the title lest someone snatch this last cheap one from my grasp. Yes. I am paranoid. But I think most would agree it's a great album; one of this artist's best work ever, imho.

Another one just popped up on ebay for only $38.00 Buy-It-Now. But it's been treated by the dreaded Audio Prism green marker! Arrrggghhh! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:06 pm 

hifijones wrote:
I'm considering purchasing an older out-of-print MFSL CD from a discogs seller in the Russian Federation. He has a positive feedback score of 99.5% going back to 2013; 3 neutrals and 1 negative for a total of 218 transactions.

One of the neutrals' hints that the buyer believes that the CD he bought might be counterfeit or pirated; the seller made no qualifying comment upon receiving that feedback.

The MFSL title I'm looking it is a pretty rare one; not many floating around on ebay and the few that are available are sealed and well over $100.00. One is $485.00 and admittedly that's insane, especially when you consider that this CD is available on SACD for less than $50.00.

In light of that, I realize paying over $40.00 for a redbook MFSL gold disc is not a very wise investment but I don't have a SACD-capable player at the moment. The CD in question is about $68.00 including shipping.

So I was wondering what your thoughts and opinions are on the efficacy of buying music media (CDs' in particular...) from the Russian Federation and China. Would it be a lot of work and effort to duplicate the distinctive appearance of a MFSL gold disc? Or would it be relatively easy?

Is it worth the risk that some of those CDs' could be counterfeit/pirated even though many individual sellers appear to be legit and have a lot of positive feedback to show for it? Would you risk your own money or would you move on to other sellers in N. America and Europe?

And please don't tell me to buy a SACD player and be done with it. :)

Go for it man, it's only $40. Hell, I just spent more than that on beer today...
8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:07 pm 

You could have had an Oppo 105D for $400 just yesterday :D That would have solved everything. But seriously, it is nice to see somebody spending more on music than gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:11 pm 

if you have listen to a sacd but the cd version, only, it as nothing to do with the dsd version. most hybrid sacd don t have a good cd 16/44 version, very plain, but ounce you will hear the dsd version. you will be sold.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:27 pm 

Most blu-ray players will play SACD's.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:30 pm 

highjinx wrote:
Most blu-ray players will play SACD's.

No they don't. Very few Blu-ray players will play SACDs, and very few play them well.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:29 pm 

Old Rusty wrote:
Go for it man, it's only $40. Hell, I just spent more than that on beer today...
8)

:lol: Well actually the one from the Russian Federation that worries me about its' authenticity is $68.00 shipped. So that extra $28.00 would pay for two 12-packs of Stella. And that ain't hay.

I can get the one on ebay with the longbox packaging for $49.00 shipped.

alberchas wrote:
You could have had an Oppo 105D for $400 just yesterday :D That would have solved everything. But seriously, it is nice to see somebody spending more on music than gear.

Yeah honestly I don't know what to look for in a SACD player. Not a videophile so the Blu-Ray capability means nothing to me. Some of the older Denon's can be had on the cheap but I think I should probably select a more modern player. The aforementioned Sony XA5400ES players are everywhere on the used market but I'm not going to pay that much $$$. I would rather spend that to upgrade my redbook CDP because I have 1000+ CDs'.

So I'll admit it is slightly nutso to be spending that kind of coin on MFSL media when most of the titles I'm looking to acquire are already available on SACD. And I'll agree that the quality of the MFSL remastering varies wildly from one disc to another. But then again I have no intention of replacing my redbook CD collection with the SACD titles that are available. I'd buy just my very favorite albums on SACD and leave it at that. Famous last words.... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:17 pm 

but right now there are many title coming out on bluray ultra fidelity audio, 24 / 96 many are title that where issued on sacd or dvd audio, and no longer available. so if you find one it will cost you a fortune example patricia barber sacd, or frank zappa dvd audio. but those bluray might just change that availlabilety issue.
so a good universal player like oppo are great sounding machine for the price , and are very reliable, a lot more reliable than many big company like sony es and many other familiar brand of player at higher prices.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 pm 

All Sony blue-ray players play sacd discs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:54 pm 

are you just collecting? If you want sound quality, you have to invest heavy into the player....good SACD players start at $10K now....sorry no free lunch these days....you may try computer audio which is cheaper option....