Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:15 pm 

What did you end up going to? I recently sold my Monitor 30s with the intent of purchasing a set of Compact 7s but now am considering other options such as PSB and Proac.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:39 pm 

Same here.. Moved on from M30 to Magico..

Harbeth calling card is that it's still musically engaging when played softly..

The buyer of my M30 is placing them in his dining room.. I am sure it will sound great in that application..

I find Harbeth operates well at a lower level and hits a ceiling once volume is turned up... whereas the Magico seems to get louder and louder and doesn't have a ceiling...

If you are moving up.. Why C7?? I think 40.1/40.2 would be the ultimate destination.. I considered 40.1 but the dealer refused to sell it to me as he says my room is too small for them..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:42 pm 

I'm considering the C7 because I read that it's a touch brighter and a little softer in the mids as well as a bit more bass. All in all it sounds to be a better balanced speaker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:03 pm 

Personally I found the M30s which I still own to be far more balanced than the C7 - personal preference I guess.

My M30s are currently sitting unused as I switched to a low wattage + big speakers setup. Currently run Klipsch La Scalas with a small Decware amp and love the change.

Still love the M30s and won't sell them. Will switch them back in when the mood suits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:27 pm 

I went from the SHL5 to actively crossed over 3-way Altec/JBL horn system (plus horn-loaded sub). A complete 180. I loved the Harbeths, but the moment I heard the horns I knew I had to have them. I never have looked back either, and will likely never go back to a non-horn main system either. :)
B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:40 pm 

Wow, that is a 180! I used to be a horn guy (klipschorns) but prefer dome speakers now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 pm 

chinkwan wrote:

Harbeth calling card is that it's still musically engaging when played softly..

I find Harbeth operates well at a lower level and hits a ceiling once volume is turned up...

I would agree with this. I recently had a pair of M30's for an extended home demo as I really wanted to scratch that Harbeth itch. In short, they do some pretty magical things with mids and present music from a top to bottom, vertical kind of soundstage and sounded at their best with vocals and jazz music at lower listening levels. When turning them up to a modest level, they seemed to present a confused sound. I did not like how they presented some electronic music and some rock. I am glad I scratched the itch as this demo made me realize just how transparent and articulate my Kudos S10 bookshelves really are. Perhaps not a fair comparison as the Kudos monitors are more money if buying new but it did renew my faith in just how good my speakers are......to me !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:40 pm 

I use both Proac Tablettes and Harbeth C7s. The Proacs share the natural mids of the Harbeths but are more open sounding.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:49 pm 

My SHL-5's sound fantastic at loud levels, which is not something I expected them to do. Maybe my experience is due in part to a medium sized listening room, and lots of clean watts (200+). Friends who have heard them loud have also been surprised with how much air they can move without sounding strained at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:05 pm 

This is an interesting thread for me because I don't love my 30.1's. I listen at low levels, female vocals and jazz which these speakers are suppose to excel at and while good I don't love them.

So I can't answer the question yet about which speaker replaced these but I am keeping an eye out for what I want next.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:31 pm 

Interesting, I was using C7's for a few years, with both tubes and solid state. Sold them for some Kudos C2's, which were much more open, had more bass, but no midrange.

A few changes later I'm back with M30.1s and will be keeping them. I'm in a condo, so the volume stays reasonable. I've used a variety of amplification and cabling, and the speakers respond to every change.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:58 pm 

Honestly it doesn't matter what other people tell you because it winds up being what you prefer. And not everything any company makes you will like -it's possibly you will like one speaker brand at $500 a different brand at $1k a different one again at $2k and perhaps at $3k the first brand has a speaker you like again. Ditto amps, sources etc.

What I try to do with most pieces of gear I audition is to make a T chart listing the pros and cons of what I hear in the design. So a speaker may have terrific bass and slam but in the con side has a metallic treble that doesn't go away and has some sibilance. It may do 8 things really well and one thing poorly while another speaker may do 6 things well but doesn't have fatiguing treble - I'll probably choose the latter.

No matter what you choose - there will be forum fans of it and good reviews to read. So you may as well choose the speakers that YOU like since it's YOUR cash and YOUR time spent listening to them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25 pm 

Have the SHL5's/MC7300 listening area 15 by 30 custom acoustical paneling. Stopped moving on a while back very dynamic rock to classic really, really shine with ensemble. Down to two other systems that do what they do well HH Scott with Ion Amaze and another Mc system with Aurum Cantus. Was always told the SHL5's were too polite, not my experience. Still search every day for a mint pair of model 18's, but just too have them. T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:42 pm 

From M30 to SHL5+ :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:40 am 

Prestige wrote:
I'm considering the C7 because I read that it's a touch brighter and a little softer in the mids as well as a bit more bass. All in all it sounds to be a better balanced speaker.

It is interesting that you mention this. I am a huge fan of the classic BBC LS5/9 spec on which the M30/30.1 is based. But when I went to listen, the lack of warmth on the M30 at low volumes is what made me pick the C7. The C7 is much warmer but less detailed and less transparent than the M30 but better for listening at the very low levels that are normal for me.

I also own my original B&W 602s (I am a B&W fan boy). I am still amazed that those 20 year old speakers can do things that neither the C7s nor the Proacs can do. Again the size is nearly identical to the C7 which means great sound at low volumes.

If I was not using Harbeths, Proacs or B&Ws, I would be running Totems. I still think the Canadians make the best bang for buck speakers.