Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Raspberry Pi project
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:56 pm 

Here's my ongoing digital player project,currently using a Raspberry Pi2 running Runeaudio 0.4beta through USB into a Breeze Audio XMOS U8 USB interface.

Linn Exotik Kontrol case front & top
Raspberry Pi 2 overclocked to 1Ghz
RuneAudio 0.4beta
Soundgraph Imon VFD display with remote(remote doesn't work on Rune as I gave up trying)
ATXRaspi power controller board for soft shutdown
BreezeAudio 5V 2.5A psu
Neutrik/Furutech/Cardas connectors
ViaBlue HS spikes
Hifi Digi + / Pifi DAC+ (Pifi not wired in yet as not sure if having both these connected at the same time will work)
The USB power LCD is temporary

A quick switch of the microSD card and it's an Openelec/KODI video player with remote. Soon to be upgraded to an Odroid C2.

Attachments:
20160410_171230.jpg
20160410_171230.jpg [ 270.5 KiB | Viewed 3736 times ]
20160410_171420.jpg
20160410_171420.jpg [ 486.68 KiB | Viewed 3736 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi project
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:31 pm 

Nice! But curious as to why the overclock? Audio playback will not benefit from a +100Mhz overclock but the overclock could drastically hinder the performance due to CPU throttling. Also keep in mind that if you have also increased the SDRAM frequency, you also have to increase the CAS. Higher RAM frequencies generally have higher CAS latency which as you may know, higher latency is not good for audio streaming. But nice project none the less!

Is that a mini disc player to the left??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:15 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

sthomas1049 wrote:
Nice! But curious as to why the overclock? Audio playback will not benefit from a +100Mhz overclock but the overclock could drastically hinder the performance due to CPU throttling. Also keep in mind that if you have also increased the SDRAM frequency, you also have to increase the CAS. Higher RAM frequencies generally have higher CAS latency which as you may know, higher latency is not good for audio streaming. But nice project none the less!

Thats the first thing I wondered! I have a bit of a nostalgic fondness for the minidisc.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:36 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:

So the cpu is actually hindered by the higher speed? What's ideal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:36 am 

Thank you so much for posting your work. You have done a great job.

Can you tell me where you sourced the power supply and associated board?

Also, do you like the Pi DAC or would you prefer something outboard for "getting serious".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:18 am 

ie_ie wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Overclocking a CPU or SoC (System on Chip) is essentially instructing the chip to operate at a higher frequency than what it was designed for. This will generate more heat from the processor therefor pushing the chip to work at a higher temperature. With SoC’s like what’s in the Raspberry Pi, they are designed to throttle back the operating frequency (running a slower CPU frequency) in order to save the chipset from over heating. One could overcome this by introducing a more efficient cooling system. Depending on what you are using the Pi for, you may not be aware the SoC’s are being throttled back unless you are watching the CPU frequency with appropriate software.

Audio processing does not require a lot of processing power so there is no real benefit overclocking a CPU. Should the OP have discovered performance degradation running the stock CPU frequency, then I would be looking elsewhere for improvements and not overclock the SoC which could introduce other ill effects if not properly implemented. I would say that any modern CPU would be ideal for audio processing. Low latency is more important to audio playback than processing power and you do not achieve lower latency through a higher clocked CPU.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:39 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
ie_ie wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Overclocking a CPU or SoC (System on Chip) is essentially instructing the chip to operate at a higher frequency than what it was designed for. This will generate more heat from the processor therefor pushing the chip to work at a higher temperature. With SoC’s like what’s in the Raspberry Pi, they are designed to throttle back the operating frequency (running a slower CPU frequency) in order to save the chipset from over heating. One could overcome this by introducing a more efficient cooling system. Depending on what you are using the Pi for, you may not be aware the SoC’s are being throttled back unless you are watching the CPU frequency with appropriate software.

Audio processing does not require a lot of processing power so there is no real benefit overclocking a CPU. Should the OP have discovered performance degradation running the stock CPU frequency, then I would be looking elsewhere for improvements and not overclock the SoC which could introduce other ill effects if not properly implemented. I would say that any modern CPU would be ideal for audio processing. Low latency is more important to audio playback than processing power and you do not achieve lower latency through a higher clocked CPU.

^^ This. 0 Reason to overclock a Pi, especially for audio. Hell I laugh at pc people who overclock (buy a new computer or start buying servers like I did). GPU Overclocking is different but still almost as stupid, again, spend the 900 bucks for a new GPU and shut up.

Buttt.. super bad ass rig and I'm glad you're loving the Pi's as much as I did. The ODroid2 or whatever according to my friend and the quick time I played with one, is light years better than a pi (relatively speaking, we're talking about small computers here)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:55 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Nice! But curious as to why the overclock?

The reason for the overclock was that I have some DSD files that I wanted to try and my DAC does not support DSD so I tried the DSD->PCM conversion in Runeaudio to play them. This needed a slight overclock to play ok. But I agree no overclock is needed to play FLAC files.

yes, well spotted; that is a Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD portable recorder.

-- 11 Apr 2016 16:56 --

Forbes_2 wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Thats the first thing I wondered! I have a bit of a nostalgic fondness for the minidisc.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

it's a Sony MZ-RH1. Minidisc is probably my favorite physical format.

-- 11 Apr 2016 17:03 --

mdl_tor wrote:
Thank you so much for posting your work. You have done a great job.

Can you tell me where you sourced the power supply and associated board?

Also, do you like the Pi DAC or would you prefer something outboard for "getting serious".

thanks.

The PSU was an eBay special, here http://www.ebay.ca/itm/30W-DC12V-Hifi-L ... 4f1&_uhb=1

The reason I picked that one (apart from price) was that all the components ( transformer, board and switch) were separate from each other and not mounted on a single circuit board. This allowed me to take it apart and mount in my case. I specified 5V, 2.5A and a blue LCD display.

If you are using a Pi (and any other SBC) I'd definitely get an ATXRaspi board which facilitates a controlled shutdown when using a momentary power button.
https://lowpowerlab.com/shop/ATXRaspi/ATXRaspi-R2

I first got the Pifa Dac as I didn't have a separate DAC and it sounded pretty good for the $60 cost, but then got myself a Cambridge Audio 840C that upsamples to 24/384.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:19 pm 

Project update:
I picked up another 2 Linn cases from a fellow CAM member and now have a separete PSU box, video player box and audio box. The video box (on top of the PSU) runs LibreElec (on an eMMC card) on an Odroid C2 with the Soundgraph Imon VFD display and remote control. Both the RPi2 and the C2 use an atxraspi power controller.

The RPi2 audio box runs Volumio and has an Adafruit 3.5" TFT resistive touchscreen (480 x 320px) that uses a Python script called "pmb-pitft" with Python-MPD2 library to show track info. I rewrote the pmb-pitft Python script a little to give me the layout I wanted. The prev,next and play buttons control playback(the icons need fixing) and I added a bit of code so that touching the time bar will track seek.

There are a couple of bugs to fix in pmb-pitft, but it works quite well.

Attachments:
File comment: PSU, RPI2 audio box and Odroid C2 video box
20160504_100532_sm.jpg
20160504_100532_sm.jpg [ 175.26 KiB | Viewed 3126 times ]
File comment: RPI2 PiTFT 3.5" touchscreen
20160514_224509_sm.jpg
20160514_224509_sm.jpg [ 185.37 KiB | Viewed 3126 times ]
File comment: RPI2 box rear
20160510_001813_sm.jpg
20160510_001813_sm.jpg [ 242.56 KiB | Viewed 3126 times ]
File comment: PSU / Odroid C2 box rear
20160510_001835_sm.jpg
20160510_001835_sm.jpg [ 269.37 KiB | Viewed 3126 times ]
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:13 am 

FoxFoxFox wrote:
Hell I laugh at pc people who overclock (buy a new computer or start buying servers like I did). GPU Overclocking is different but still almost as stupid, again, spend the 900 bucks for a new GPU and shut up.

Sorry to derail the thread but I disagree a bit there. Granted, nowadays overclocking is not even remotely necessary or as useful as it once was (better performance for the money), but it's still a fun thing for many PC enthusiasts to push components to their performance limits, regardless of the price. With the relatively limited performance of a Pi and the fixed SoC I'm not even surprised to see overclocking implied to achieve some tasks, and if implemented correctly a CPU overclock can even lower latency if the memory controller is well behaved.

Besides, I know many overclockers who would laugh at audio people spending $500 on power cables so there's that :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:05 pm 

I fixed a few bugs in the pmb-pitft code (mostly introduced by my own amateur hackery) and finalized the track info layout and icons. Momentary switch works with AtxRaspi to shutdown/reboot the Pi.

Attachment:
20160520_154835.jpg
20160520_154835.jpg [ 86.12 KiB | Viewed 2943 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:25 pm 

nicely done!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:44 pm 

This is one of those days when I wish I was that smart.

Really nice. You're writing code, I'm listening to cd's.

I'll go back to the corner and put my hat on.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:53 pm 
Premium User

Kartmn wrote:
This is one of those days when I wish I was that smart.

Really nice. You're writing code, I'm listening to cd's.

I'll go back to the corner and put my hat on.

Technically, its called a toque ... And BTW, that is one cool looking case.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:31 pm 

thanks for the comments. I wouldn't accuse what I'm doing of being 'coding', more like hacking around 'till it works.

I've made a few updates to add some more screens - playlist screen, settings and library screen where albums/tracks can be added to the playlist. From the main screen tap the track name to go to the current playlist, tap the album art to go to the library.

There is 'swipe' to scroll to the next or prev. page, but not true smooth scrolling through the library.

Attachments:
File comment: Main screen shows playing track and the current playlist tracks
main-playlist-screen.jpg
main-playlist-screen.jpg [ 73.89 KiB | Viewed 2579 times ]
File comment: filelist browse of the library, and add folder or tracks to the playlist
library-browse.jpg
library-browse.jpg [ 76.14 KiB | Viewed 2579 times ]
File comment: MPD settings screen
settings-screen.jpg
settings-screen.jpg [ 24.69 KiB | Viewed 2579 times ]