Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Speakers - $2k to spend
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:19 am 

Wife fell in love with the Magnepan 1.7s. But they're probably too big for our space (family room 15' square, open to kitchen and stairwell on two sides) as they need to be well out from the walls. Thinking of the .7s as they wouldn't be so overwhelmingly huge.

Suggestions for a pair of speaks, limit $2k Cdn? Big soundstage and spacious accurate sound with good detail at low to mid volume levels is more important than thumping bass. Not black colour would be a plus as well.

Is there any slam dunk winner in this range? If it's a standmount price must include stands too.

Something like PSB Imagine X2T, Paradigm Monitor 11, Monitor Audio Silver 6, ???

Last edited by LaSalle on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

To be honest, if you've heard Maggies and enjoy what they offer, there's not much else at the price that'll do the trick.

This in mind, the 1.7s won't necessarily need more space than the .7s, as they both need to be out into the room.

Best of luck with your purchase!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:42 am 

if you like music...I would look for the best JBL you can get for the money you have...if you like speakers then....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:17 am 

If I could do it all again in my HT I'd either go Revels or skip straight to powered monitors.

My 2ch rig would be Devialet phantoms.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:18 am 

Maybe some totem bookshelves? You could probably get some model 1s for that price.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:27 am 

Speakers are the most personal part of audio. What some people think is great, others dislike. For example, I don't like Totems because they only sound good played REALLY LOUD. In my view, JBLs are forward and lacking in detail, depending on which model you look at and what electronics are hooked to them. People dislike Tannoys because they are "bland". I like Tannoys because they do not call attention to themselves and the more you listen to them, the better they sound. I could go on. So it is personal taste.

On the used market, Tannoy Eyris series and ASW Genius series go for a fraction of their new $3k prices. But if you and your wife like Maggies, buy Maggies!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:29 am 

My typical shopping method is to see something I like, do all kinds of research, then buy the ones I originally liked.

So by that logic I'll end up with huge Maggies in the family room!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:42 am 

I had a pair of Gallo 3.1 speakers which had a large soundstage . They needed to be raised up to sound best but have a small footprint and are less fussy on placement than Maggies. They can be found for around $1500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:03 am 
Premium User

Without knowing your genre preferences, source and amplification I can't give a proper recommendation, but I will say that 2k used can get you some decent speakers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:19 am 

Get the Maggie's, or at least try them out in your room and see if a compromise can be found for placement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:26 am 

That 15' square room could be very problematic concerning sound quality. Perhaps you could borrow some speakers and see if they work in that space.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:31 am 

PMC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:37 am 

James_W wrote:
Without knowing your genre preferences, source and amplification

Jazz, classical, and classic through 80s rock, seasoned with European symphonic metal, never at headbanging volume levels.

Streaming, iTunes lossless, and decent Technics turntable.

Denon AVR-2801 as pre/rear amp with my Kenwood Basic M1 driving the fronts. These would also function as front speakers for rare casual home theater use.

-- 10 Apr 2016 19:40 --

mikeybc wrote:
Get the Maggie's, or at least try them out in your room and see if a compromise can be found for placement.

A possibility for the 1.7s as Magnepan has a program for in-home trial of these in which they'll pay the shipping both ways within U.S.

The 1.7s ARE big though, and probably would have to come from the U.S. for the trial program. No local dealer for these ones :(

And the price is at the very highest end of what I might consider.

-- 10 Apr 2016 19:41 --

Mod Beat wrote:
That 15' square room could be very problematic concerning sound quality. Perhaps you could borrow some speakers and see if they work in that space.

Yes sir. I'm hoping to get some suggestions out of this conversation for units that I might find locally at a dealer that can supply a demo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:57 pm 

Elac 247 sound very good and you might be lucky to find them in that price range.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:28 pm 

Hi LaSalle, can you describe your family room with a bit more detail? You mention that two sides of the room are open... are they opposing sides or adjacent sides? How much of the wall is 'open'? A photo goes a long way (if you're comfortable with posting images from within your home on the internet; I don't blame you if you are not).

15x15 isn't great for room dimensions, but being a dipole the .7/1.7 won't suffer the same fate as typical boxed speaker designs.

You can extend the value of your $2K on the used market. Some nice speakers to consider are Reference 3A (de Capo or Veena), Monitor Audio (Gold series?), ELAC, and ProAc.