Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:28 am 

Ok I'm going to show my age for sure but I happened to be going through one of my old photo albums and I have kept my concert stubs since the 70s when I first started to see shows. I just happened to notice the prices.
$4.09 to see Buddy Rich (I am a drummer)
$6.00 for Supertramp Crime of the Century as well as Frank Zappa and the Mothers

I could go on but then it would just sound like bragging 8)

Maybe I'm biased (maybe?) but it seems not only did we get some of the greatest bands that are still being listened to in our era, but we also had some damn fine concert pricing, and I could still actually get a ticket because you had to go and line up for them in person and they weren't sold out to scalpers online in 180 seconds!

Attachments:
DSC_03210001.JPG
DSC_03210001.JPG [ 175.48 KiB | Viewed 2279 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:33 am 

And Woodstock,a whopping $6.00,or was it $6.50.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 am 
Premium User

Someone gave me a ticket to see Roger Waters at the ACC 3 or 4 years ago-The ticket price was $505.00.I saw the whole band (Floyd) for around $10.00 in the 70's. Somehow these prices don't jive. I wait for the Blu-rays now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 am 

Close to the Edge wrote:
Someone gave me a ticket to see Roger Waters at the ACC 3 or 4 years ago-The ticket price was $505.00.I saw the whole band (Floyd) for around $10.00 in the 70's. Somehow these prices don't jive. I wait for the Blu-rays now.

I agree, unless I can get seats close enough to actually see the band, me too. Sitting at the back of a sports stadium watching a concert on the screen because the musicians are too small to see, is not really a concert in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:17 am 

You can thank illegal downloads or copies for the concert prices being so high. Touring is now artists main source of reliable revenue.

BTW, I saw Buddy Rich at Disneyland, free with the price of admission!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:22 am 

rnrgagne wrote:
You can thank illegal downloads or copies for the concert prices being so high. Touring is now artists main source of reliable revenue.

BTW, I saw Buddy Rich at Disneyland, free with the price of admission!!

What did you think of Buddy Rich? Better than Peter Criss from KISS right? :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 am 

9.00 for a decent ticket to the Stones concert at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1976.Using the CPI to factor in inflation only,the same ticket would be around $40 today.About the same time,Maria Callas was doing her final world tour, with the Massey Hall stop costing appr. $50.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:36 am 

dupont62 wrote:
9.00 for a decent ticket to the Stones concert at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1976.Using the CPI to factor in inflation only,the same ticket would be around $40 today.About the same time,Maria Callas was doing her final world tour, with the Massey Hall stop costing appr. $50.

There you go. My wife is a Streisand fan so when she finally came the first time with Il Divo I think we paid $350 a seat and they were not anywhere near the front either. That was the face value, not scalped.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:38 am 

I recently paid $800 clams for 2 tix to see The Boss...paid double face through StubHub...sometimes cost is not reflective of value..and vice versa :D

Last edited by Stone on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:41 am 

onelastime wrote:
What did you think of Buddy Rich? Better than Peter Criss from KISS right? :D

Ha ha, well I think Buddy could have used more makeup!

I'm of the school that talent transcends genre.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:45 am 

Stone wrote:
I recently paid $800 clams for 2 tix to see The Boss...paid double face through StubHub...sometimes cost is not reflective of value..adn vice versa :D

....what time did you say you would pick me up? :D ....I'll pay for supper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Because I worked for a promoter I have more "All Areas Access" passes than I do ticket stubs but I did find one to see the Stones at Commonwelth Stadium in '94 that set me back a whole $55.00!
I also recall presenting the Stampeders (in their heyday) in the Picton Arena back in the early '70s (fresh out of high school I was) where I was charging, IIRC, a whole $3.00 per person. An astronomical price in the day but very few people complained!
But, I sold the place out, and after all the expenses, was left almost as much money as my Dad made off the farm for the whole year.

jac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:50 am 

onelastime wrote:
Ok I'm going to show my age for sure but I happened to be going through one of my old photo albums and I have kept my concert stubs since the 70s when I first started to see shows. I just happened to notice the prices.
$4.09 to see Buddy Rich (I am a drummer)
$6.00 for Supertramp Crime of the Century as well as Frank Zappa and the Mothers

I could go on but then it would just sound like bragging 8)

Maybe I'm biased (maybe?) but it seems not only did we get some of the greatest bands that are still being listened to in our era, but we also had some damn fine concert pricing, and I could still actually get a ticket because you had to go and line up for them in person and they weren't sold out to scalpers online in 180 seconds!

Ah the lineups, not only for the tickets but day of show if you wanted to get close to the stage in the "festival seating" arrangements. Styx in '77 or '78 was $5.50 when other acts were often about $8. Such a deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:45 am 

Close to the Edge wrote:

There are several reasons for the high ticket prices. Back in the day, the objective of touring was to promote the artists music. For the most part, the tours would run a net deficit but that would quickly be offset by increased record sales from the touring exposure.
Nowadays touring has become a very profitable venture despite the extremely high production costs (sound, lighting, video, staging, transportation and labor costs) which were nowhere near as high back then. Add to that the artists performance rate, and all the hidden fee`s ie service charge, facility fee (wtf is that?), taxes etc and outrageous ticket prices result.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:18 am 
Premium User

Michael F wrote:
Close to the Edge wrote:

There are several reasons for the high ticket prices. Back in the day, the objective of touring was to promote the artists music. For the most part, the tours would run a net deficit but that would quickly be offset by increased record sales from the touring exposure.
Nowadays touring has become a very profitable venture despite the extremely high production costs (sound, lighting, video, staging, transportation and labor costs) which were nowhere near as high back then. Add to that the artists performance rate, and all the hidden fee`s ie service charge, facility fee (wtf is that?), taxes etc and outrageous ticket prices result.

It is still way out of wack.Bands for the most part never saw record royalties in the early days, just publishing money and touring money.Of course, it is going to cost more today, but it has become outrageous.