Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:43 am 

This idea came to me as I was searching around the net for arms to mate with the extra cartridges I have laying idle (or was it the other way around? LOL), that it would be good to have a database here of real world compatibilities from users and not just specs and a calculator to tell you that and arm/cart combo should or shouldn't match. Think the 'Grado Hum Database'.

Jeff at Audiomods supplies a list of cartridges that have been reported by users which work well with his arm. Wouldn't it be great if we had this sort of information but for all the other arms that are in use by the community? I think the list should be limited to just the functionality of the combination - whether or not it sounded particularly good I suppose can be discussed within the thread.

Yes, this list would be pretty long after a while, but I'd be willing to update the list on this post as entries come in so that all the information is at the front of the page, and I'll keep things alphabetical so it's easy to navigate.

Some of the forum regulars have been around this game for a LONG time, and you guys (riblade, corby, Alec to name a couple) have probably had more arm/cart combos than some of us have records, but if you can recall even half the combinations that have worked for you it would be an asset to the list.

So, here goes. Shall we see how extensive we can make this?

--------------------------

Audiomods

Denon: DL-103 (+13g shim), DL-301m2
Dynavector: 10x5 (+2g shim), 20xL
Grace: F9
Grado: Silver
van den Hul: Colibri

Fidelity Research FR64S

Denon: DL-103

Linn Ittok

Denon: DL-304

Micro Seiki MA505

Mission 774

Audio Technica: AT15sa
Dynavector: 10x5

Origin Live Silver MKII

Dynavector: Karat D2
Garrott Brothers: Optim
Goldring: Elite

Project 10CC Evo

Audio Technica: AT-33PTG/II

Rega RB300

Dynavector: 20xM

Rip's Modded RB250

Audio Technica: OC9/II
Lyra: Kleos

SME Series 3

SME IV

Audio Technica: AT33PTG/II, AT44MLa
Dynavector: Karat 17D2

Sumiko Premier MMT

Technics SL1200/1210

Ortofon: 2M Red

Thomas Schick

Last edited by kwadzilla on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:00 am 

Fantastic thinking ....
I know for fact the Denon dl103 mates wonderfully with the Sumiko Premier MMT.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:14 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Fantastic thinking ....
I know for fact the Denon dl103 mates wonderfully with the Sumiko Premier MMT.

I think the 103 is gonna be on this list alot :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:22 am 

This thread should be aka "Ask Blake"

If you want 'anti', 103 and rega is a no-no, also Akito 2b and 103 even worse....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:30 am 

kwadzilla wrote:
--------------------------

Audiomods

Dynavector: 10x5 (+2g shim), 20xl
Grace: F9
Grado: Silver

Sumiko Premier MMT

Technics SL1200

Ortofon: 2M Red

Roksan Xerxes

Rega: RB300 (w/Incognito rewire upgrade)
Dynavector: 20x2 (medium output)
External wire: Audio Origami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:40 am 

Che Cavolo wrote:
This thread should be aka "Ask Blake"

If you want 'anti', 103 and rega is a no-no, also Akito 2b and 103 even worse....

That you mention the incompatibility of the Rega arms and the 103 reminded me that the 103 on the Rega-based Audiomods had distorted less with the heavy shim mounted also. List updated.

And I agree that Blake would have much input on the 103.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:13 am 

I always check with VA database and some sources with Japan for that...from my experience which is mostly limited to the SPU and some small number of exotics....the best combo for DL 103 was FR64S and Thomas Schick...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:53 am 

SME IV - Dynavector Karat D2, Audio Technica AT44MLa, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II

Origin Live Silver MKII - Goldring Elite, Dynavector Karat D2, Garrott Brothers Optim

W4S DAC-1/Benchmark DAC-1, Shanling CD-S100/Sony BDP-S3100

Cain & Cain Abbys, Musical Paradise MP-301 v3, Acurus DIA-150, Vandersteen 2 CE Sigs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:47 pm 

Great idea for a thread, kwad, but I'm not sure how much value it will hold in the long run. There's already disagreement on some combos, so how much of what is deemed a good match is actually based on the arm/cart synergy, and not on other system synergies like the table and preamp, or room and speakers...not to mention people's tastes in sound quality and their music preferences?

By example, the nuded DV10x5 sounded dull and lifeless on the modded RB250 into the Levinson JC-2, but sounded brilliant on the Mission 774 original into the Threshold SL-10, if a little light bodied in the bass. Not my first choice for rock but it really shone with chamber music. At the other end, an AT OC9/II sounded thin, bright and analytical on the Mission/Threshold combo but came to life on the Rega/Levinson through an SUT. That combo had a big, dynamic sound with any type of music, most surprisingly was the deep, tight bass that was absent with the Mission. Thought the ATs were supposed to be bright, but not here....

Hard for me to make any kind of a recommendation when I'm this clueless, but for what it's worth, best sound I've heard so far on the modded Rega is the Lyra Kleos, and on the Mission the AT15Sa continues to wow me with punchy dynamics exploding out of a deep, dark background. I never realized such a mismatch could sound this good, but then I might just be imagining it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:04 pm 

I have very limited experience with current stuff, but the DL-103 seems to be a better match with my SL1210 than the 2M Blue before it..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:22 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Great idea for a thread, kwad, but I'm not sure how much value it will hold in the long run. There's already disagreement on some combos, so how much of what is deemed a good match is actually based on the arm/cart synergy, and not on other system synergies like the table and preamp, or room and speakers...not to mention people's tastes in sound quality and their music preferences?

I completely agree that there more to the overall enjoyment to the combination than just arm/cart synergy: I experienced this with the analog rig being "fine" with the Watsons and the DIY speakers but unlistenable with the Mags. The Audiomods/Colibri itself was fine but distortions were coming from downstream, namely the incorrect cartridge loading being masked by the first speakers but revealed by the Mags.

At the very least, this list can give users a place to start when looking for an upgrade (or downgrade) in cartridge.

ripblade wrote:
By example, the nuded DV10x5 sounded dull and lifeless on the modded RB250 into the Levinson JC-2, but sounded brilliant on the Mission 774 original into the Threshold SL-10, if a little light bodied in the bass. Not my first choice for rock but it really shone with chamber music. At the other end, an AT OC9/II sounded thin, bright and analytical on the Mission/Threshold combo but came to life on the Rega/Levinson through an SUT. That combo had a big, dynamic sound with any type of music, most surprisingly was the deep, tight bass that was absent with the Mission. Thought the ATs were supposed to be bright, but not here....

two contributions... :D

ripblade wrote:
Hard for me to make any kind of a recommendation when I'm this clueless, but for what it's worth, best sound I've heard so far on the modded Rega is the Lyra Kleos, and on the Mission the AT15Sa continues to wow me with punchy dynamics exploding out of a deep, dark background. I never realized such a mismatch could sound this good, but then I might just be imagining it. :)

And two more :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:23 pm 

NordicNorm wrote:
Roksan Xerxes

Rega: RB300 (w/Incognito rewire upgrade)
Dynavector: 20x2 (medium output)
External wire: Audio Origami

Thanks, Norm. You just got his table recently didn't you?

-- 14 Feb 2016 17:24 --

rnrgagne wrote:
I have very limited experience with current stuff...

So then you have more experience with older stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:45 pm 

libor wrote:
I always check with VA database and some sources with Japan for that...from my experience which is mostly limited to the SPU and some small number of exotics....the best combo for DL 103 was FR64S and Thomas Schick...

What is VA database?
Do you mean VE Vinyl Engine?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:13 pm 

Hey kwad, on your Audiomods/Denon list add the DL-301 Mk II. Works well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:17 pm 

kwadzilla wrote:
rnrgagne wrote:
I have very limited experience with current stuff...

So then you have more experience with older stuff?

Yeah, vinyl was my first medium. I started listening to music on my parents Zenith console stereo lol...
I don't think we were as experimental or knowledgeable as today's hobbyists, at least I wasn't anyway. I tended to swap speakers and integrateds more than cartridges or turntables.

I was an early adopter of CD's, probably had one of the first units in town. It was a Phillips if I remember correctly, and I pretty much went digital all the way till about six years ago. My last turntable was a B&O Beogram RX with the MM1 cartridge, my last all analogue rig was a Sansui AU555a & a pair of Celestion Ditton 44's. Kept all the records though.. :wink: