Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:21 am 

I have a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde problem with my secondary stereo. It is located in an 18 by 13 foot living room with high vaulted wooden ceilings, five narrow, tall windows with fabric blinds and laminate flooring. The only soft items in the room are two large leather couches and a leather chair. I am running a bit of an old school stereo, consisting of a Sherwood AD 2220 CP non-switching 65 wpc integrated amp, some Definitive Technology BP-10 speakers and a five disc Harman Kardon CD player (can't remember the model number). On certain material, such as Jack Johnson, this system sounds very mellow, full and nice, with extended, tight bass even at higher volumes, but on other stuff it's virtually unlistenable. For example, Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad sounds very bright, and the new Chris Cornell CD, Higher Truth, sounds thin and shouty at anything above low volume. So does much of Adele's 21. So, is it my amp, the room or too-hot production on certain CDs that would sound fatiguing on any system? I would hate to buy a newer amp and continue to have the same problem. The Def-Tech bipolar towers have the Vifa soft dome tweeters, not the aluminum ones. I want to stress that I never listen at loud volumes, so it's not distortion from amp clipping that I'm hearing. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:36 am 

You're just experiencing the fatigue from bad production on the music itself. Not much you can do unless you get an amp with tone controls, a CDP with tube buffer or some other bandaid solution. I have a tube amp that is pretty forgiving and still very revealing. Some tube amps like Decware even have treble trim controls for such recordings or full range drivers that are harder to integrate into a system. I think the model with trim is the TORII mk3 and mk4. Not a cheap amp at all, but you might try tubes if you have somewhere to borrow some.

-- 02 Feb 2016 19:39 --

But yes, the amp will likely have the largest impact on this issue. No amp will gloss over really bad recordings, but some are easier to listen to. I listen to all kinds of music from jazz to electronic. I prefer tube amps for imaging and bass quality. I don't care for a rolled off top end, but many amps, tube or SS, will still offer plenty of air, detail and accuracy without being edgy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 am 

I've been watching my Jim Smith "Get better Sound" dvd lately.He mentioned that contrary to what a lot of audiophiles think.A vaulted ceiling was one of the more difficult rooms to contend with acoustically..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:23 pm 

It's the room.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:36 pm 

If it's the room, do you think a few fluffy pillows and an area rug over part of the laminate floor might be enough to tame it? I don't think expensive room treatments would fly with my wife, either aesthetically or financially.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:37 pm 

From your description of the room and furnishings, I`m surprised that anything is listenable. Treat the room.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:50 pm 

It's the room......leather furniture is not soft, it is highly reflective.

My first "treatment" would be a large(ish) area rug, with a thick foam underpad.....then treat the first reflection points with weavings, wall rug, tapestries, etc.

Think soft, and absorbent.

Good luck, del Sol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:54 pm 

I'd say room. When your couch and chair are covered in leather they no longer absorb high frequencies, so even your soft furniture isn't helping.

I had a hard room, oak floors drywall and glass. Had no luck getting decent sound till I addressed the room problems.

From your description your room sounds worse than mine.

Last edited by billont on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:59 pm 

BC Dave wrote:
If it's the room, do you think a few fluffy pillows and an area rug over part of the laminate floor might be enough to tame it? I don't think expensive room treatments would fly with my wife, either aesthetically or financially.

del sol beat me to it

Gary

also bookcase's(filled with books) do wonders.Keep it symmetrical .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 pm 
Premium User

Agree that it's the room acoustics that are giving you grief.

If the "Minister of the Interior" has plenty to say about room treatments then I would suggest you pull up the Vicoustics web site and look through some of the options with her.
We've had more than a few "Ministers" look at the treatments on our walls and surprise the audio-centric spouse by saying that those treatments are really quite nice and that she could live with it easily.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:52 pm 

"It's the room......leather furniture is not soft, it is highly reflective.

My first "treatment" would be a large(ish) area rug, with a thick foam underpad.....then treat the first reflection points with weavings, wall rug, tapestries, etc.

Think soft, and absorbent.

Good luck, del Sol"

+1 and also, some CDs are better mixed, recorded and produced as well, believe or not!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:08 pm 

Hi,

Room. If you can swing it with the spouse try reorienting the room by putting the speakers on the 'long wall' (18' you say). All of the above posted comments regarding hard reflections off leather furniture and floor hold. Adele 21 is a particularly nasty recording and if you can get your system tamed so you can live with her rasp (I can't listen to her), you are almost there. Load up the sidewalls with sound diffusers and absorbers - drapes/anything. Ah, the delights of the WAF. Do not despair, it can be fixed.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:18 pm 

I don't know if this would be helpful?
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 36&t=38507

Find a (breathable) fabric that you both like, perhaps burlap? Input cost is small to tame some of those major reflections (after putting a rug on the floor).

Reflected sound from the back to front walls of the room can be really distracting; the panel I made in the thread above was to address that, and did so successfully. Stand in your listening area and clap your hands. Listen for a "boing" or other ringing artifacts from the surfaces around you and address accordingly, if possible.

The back wall worked in this room, front wall was out of the question due to the projection screen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 pm 

I owned a house with a 30' X 35' room with vaulted drywall & cedar ceilings, floor to ceiling stone fireplace and solid wood floors. The walls were a wood paneling. As you would gather, the sound off the bat was absolutely horrible. reflections everywhere.

I put a very 'fat' sectional in the room with a large thick carpet in front of it both at a diagonal angle. The left and right walls I put up relatively heavy curtains - entirely covering each 30 foot wall.

Sounded excellent. I'm sure there would be improvements to be made, but, it went from un-listenable to very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:00 pm 

My previous residence had vaulted ceiling, 12ft of windows, 25x12 ... thankfully the room had a 70's thick plush topline carpet. Initially it was a harsh sounding room. Reflections all over.
Speaker placement was critical to the 1 and 1 only sweet spot. I put something in every corner, fabric chairs/sofa along walls. The biggest improvement was hanging a plush wool rug directly behind my listening chair. Also hung another rug on the long listening wall. Huge improvement. Furniture placement made differences. The hanging thick rug ( with an air space behind it ) made the most enjoyable difference.

Many sites with room tweaks suggestions. Read, digest, trial and trial again and again. Rugs, rugs and more rugs, preferably wool.