Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:13 am 

Due to the lay out of my room and the position of my equipment stand, the left speaker is much closer to my amp than the right speaker.
It is approx. 2.5 M to the left and about 5.0 M to the right speaker.
In order to keep the length equal, I have two 5.5 M speaker cables (Linn K400).
I have an urge to try different speaker cables and was wondering if I just got the exact length of cable for each speaker would it negatively affect the sound.
Right now I have the excess cable just tucked behind the equipment stand.
In all honesty it's quite a jungle back there and nothing is the right length. For unknown reasons the balanced cables from my amp to my pre are 2.5 M even though they sit only .5M apart. :oops: :?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:25 am 

"Unknown reasons"? Well, you would have more resistance for sure than a shorter cable but it only means a slight attenuation of the signal, it doesn't mean that the signals would be breaking up like an old CB radio, I wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:28 am 

The set-up you described will have no effect on the sound.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:47 am 

Dave, note that electricity travels through wire at the speed of light, or at ~186,000 miles per second. Or, 1' of wire every I billionth of a second (nanosecond) of time. Think Grace Hopper nanosecond here to help visualize.

So, for the 8’ of speaker cable difference in question, we are talking 8 ns which our ears won't be able to discern.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:12 am 

Pneumonic wrote:
Dave, note that electricity travels through wire at the speed of light, or at ~186,000 miles per second. Or, 1' of wire every I billionth of a second (nanosecond) of time. Think Grace Hopper nanosecond here to help visualize.

So, for the 8’ of speaker cable difference in question, we are talking 8 ns which our ears won't be able to discern.

That makes sense the way you explained it. I've made a couple major changes lately and want to be sure I haven't made things worse and secondly I've developed an inexplicable urge to tinker with things.
Regarding the unknown reasons for the ic lengths(rustee). I believe it was an error with Amazon.uk.
I ordered a 1.5 pair of Van Damme XLR's they sent 2.5. It was awhile ago.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 am 

I recently had a similar situation. I chose to use the longer length and tuck some behind. Works fine for me with 15 feet of cable. Plus the cable is of relative good quality. Quality + length over lesser quality and shorter length. My opinion, though...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:06 pm 

mahatma1 wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

That makes sense the way you explained it. I've made a couple major changes lately and want to be sure I haven't made things worse and secondly I've developed an inexplicable urge to tinker with things.
Regarding the unknown reasons for the ic lengths(rustee). I believe it was an error with Amazon.uk.
I ordered a 1.5 pair of Van Damme XLR's they sent 2.5. It was awhile ago.

I find objectivity simplifies, and better explains, most things in audio :wink:

Re: the desire to tinker .... make sure you only do 1 change at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:47 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

The better your system, the more important it becomes to keep them the same length.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:57 pm 

bettermusic wrote:
The better your system, the more important it becomes to keep them the same length.

Please explain. Because so far I 100% agree with all people above, except this one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:11 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:

Bingo.

Not something I would be overly concerned with in your situation, OP.

Source: Custom-built PC.
USB Interface: Bel Canto REFLInk USB-to-AES/EBU.
DAC: Bricasti M1 Special Edition
Amp: Pass Labs XA30.8 (Placeholder)
Speakers: Focal Scala Utopia III.
Cabling: Audio Sensibility Statement Series.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:28 pm 

This is interesting.

Due to the positioning of my Audio stands, I have the Amp much closer to one speaker than the other.

At the time, I wasn't sure if a shorter wire would impact the sound, so, I left the cables the same 9' length and neatly wound the surplus behind the closer speaker. All cables are neat and do not cross much of any other cables. (I have 3-4 feet behind my stands - lots of room). The SQ seems fine, but, I'll be interested to hear other opinions. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:29 pm 

I too require a 5' and 20' length however thinking repurpose or resale I prefer equal lengths.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:41 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:

Pneumonic is right on.

If anyone thinks that cable length makes a big difference by some cheap speaker wire, make one channel twice as long as the other, see if you can hear the timing difference...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:44 pm 

zhenya01 wrote:
bettermusic wrote:

Please explain. Because so far I 100% agree with all people above, except this one.

doubt a 100k system would care if you used a 1m and a 2m speaker wire...would love to hear the explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:33 pm 

bettermusic wrote:

I'd like to hear about it as well especially coming from a dealer. Getting the popcorn and 3D glasses :D