PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 pm 

oh my :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:54 pm 

...so...I was wrong... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 pm 
Premium User

Stone wrote:
...so...I was wrong... :lol:

The possibilities are interesting ............

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:11 pm 

Bill Murray can do no wrong. He is a very talented funny guy since from SNL when he took over from the outgoing Chevy Chase. His comedy album, National Lampoons That's Not Funny, That's Sick is some of the funniest sh*t I have heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYwXHJwfWLE
"I must be some kind of Neander*uck" for not going to Stereo's & Such"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:30 pm 

Stone wrote:

It looks CRAZY in a funny way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:49 pm 
Premium User

Musicware4u wrote:
Bill Murray can do no wrong. He is a very talented funny guy since from SNL when he took over from the outgoing Chevy Chase. His comedy album, National Lampoons That's Not Funny, That's Sick is some of the funniest sh*t I have heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYwXHJwfWLE

Yet his career has been declared dead several times after each successive reboot and one shot wonders followed by abject failures or plain forgettable movies. He isn't the easiest person to work with or be around according to his co-stars, pretty much like his and Dustin Hoffman's characters in Tootsie. After all, they don't call him the "Murricane" for nothing.

His original film, Meatballs, made him a star followed by the commercial and critical flop, Where the Buffalo Roam. Luckily, he was still riding on the success of Meatballs when he cot cast for Caddyshack which led to the equally successful Stripes after which he was pretty much left to rot by Hollywood. Then, almost ny pure chance, he got cast for Ghostbusters which pretty much re-established his star power. The Razors Edge was pretty much a flop, then again he hit gold with Tootsie, Scrooged and Ghostbusters II. Soon followed the flops Quick Change and What About Bob? Thank god for Groundhog Day and Kingpin, or his career would have been over again. Then, one of his most forgettable performances in The Man who knew too Little followed by the critically acclaimed Rushmore and Charlie's Angels (which was hugely successful despite him being in it) before another breakthrough performance in Lost in Translation. Luckily, he backed out of Charlie's Angels (though rumors still persist that the 3 leading actresses all threatened to quit if he was re-cast in the role of Bosley) before starring in a string of 5 successive flops before the critically acclaimed, but box office flops Grand Budapest Hotel and St-Vincent.

I was not even aware of his 2015 movie Rock the Kasbah, so it must not have been much of a commercial success after all. Is this the fault of Hollywood not accepting him or more because of his inconsistent and erratic performances? Who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:43 am 
Premium User

OBI56 wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:

Yet his career has been declared dead several times after each successive reboot and one shot wonders followed by abject failures or plain forgettable movies. He isn't the easiest person to work with or be around according to his co-stars, pretty much like his and Dustin Hoffman's characters in Tootsie. After all, they don't call him the "Murricane" for nothing.

His original film, Meatballs, made him a star followed by the commercial and critical flop, Where the Buffalo Roam. Luckily, he was still riding on the success of Meatballs when he cot cast for Caddyshack which led to the equally successful Stripes after which he was pretty much left to rot by Hollywood. Then, almost ny pure chance, he got cast for Ghostbusters which pretty much re-established his star power. The Razors Edge was pretty much a flop, then again he hit gold with Tootsie, Scrooged and Ghostbusters II. Soon followed the flops Quick Change and What About Bob? Thank god for Groundhog Day and Kingpin, or his career would have been over again. Then, one of his most forgettable performances in The Man who knew too Little followed by the critically acclaimed Rushmore and Charlie's Angels (which was hugely successful despite him being in it) before another breakthrough performance in Lost in Translation. Luckily, he backed out of Charlie's Angels (though rumors still persist that the 3 leading actresses all threatened to quit if he was re-cast in the role of Bosley) before starring in a string of 5 successive flops before the critically acclaimed, but box office flops Grand Budapest Hotel and St-Vincent.

I was not even aware of his 2015 movie Rock the Kasbah, so it must not have been much of a commercial success after all. Is this the fault of Hollywood not accepting him or more because of his inconsistent and erratic performances? Who knows.

Obi, you missed the best one of all: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. At least to my funny bone, this is a classic that is well worth a watch if you haven't had a chance to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:20 am 

...though not many saw Razor's Edge...it was pivotal in Murray's development as an actor. I think he's very good in that dramatic role...you get a real sense of his character's interior life and those "chops" inform and bare fruit in the great work he's done in the Wes Anderson films...his range is vast...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 am 

Stone wrote:
...though not many saw Razor's Edge...it was pivotal in Murray's development as an actor. I think he's very good in that dramatic role...you get a real sense of his character's interior life and those "chops" inform and bare fruit in the great work he's done in the Wes Anderson films...his range is vast...

I never really liked Rushmore since I didn't like Jason Shwartzman or the teacher (Olivia Willimans) he and Bill were into. So the casting aside from Murray lost it for me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 am 

It's probably just coincidental, but when I clicked on the Rolling Stone link provided, my Norton lit up like a pinball machine......said "malicious intrusion blocked."

Just a (probably unnecessary) heads-up.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 am 
Premium User

Tangram wrote:
OBI56 wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:

Obi, you missed the best one of all: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. At least to my funny bone, this is a classic that is well worth a watch if you haven't had a chance to see it.

I didn't miss it Tangram, it is one of those successive flops (both commercial and critical) in a row between Charlie's Angels and Grand Budapest Hotel. Remember that in Hollywood, there are only 3 things that matter: how big of a box office draw you are, if other actors, directors and producers want to work with you and your critical acclaim. Talent is highly subjective, so it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things if no one wants to pay to see you perform. Sure, flops do count in Hollywood as do planned flops which are mostly designed to be tax write-offs (and I suspect that Bill Murray was cast in many movies for exactly this purpose).

Bill Murray's career has, more than most other actors swung wildly from 1 extreme to the other in 1 2 or all 3 of these aspects at a time. One man's opinion on any single one of these 3 aspects doesn't really matter much if he fails at the other 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 am 

Stone wrote:

Loved the movie and the book.
And, Bill Murray was amazing in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:26 am 
Premium User

I was not even aware of his 2015 movie Rock the Kasbah, so it must not have been much of a commercial success after all. Is this the fault of Hollywood not accepting him or more because of his inconsistent and erratic performances? Who knows.[/quote]

Obi, you missed the best one of all: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. At least to my funny bone, this is a classic that is well worth a watch if you haven't had a chance to see it.[/quote]

I didn't miss it Tangram, it is one of those successive flops (both commercial and critical) in a row between Charlie's Angels and Grand Budapest Hotel. Remember that in Hollywood, there are only 3 things that matter: how big of a box office draw you are, if other actors, directors and producers want to work with you and your critical acclaim. Talent is highly subjective, so it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things if no one wants to pay to see you perform. Sure, flops do count in Hollywood as do planned flops which are mostly designed to be tax write-offs (and I suspect that Bill Murray was cast in many movies for exactly this purpose).

Bill Murray's career has, more than most other actors swung wildly from 1 extreme to the other in 1 2 or all 3 of these aspects at a time. One man's opinion on any single one of these 3 aspects doesn't really matter much if he fails at the other 2.[/quote]

Life Aquatic ($24M gross) wasn't a flop per se, as it was just below Kingpin ($25M) and well above Rushmore ($17M). It ranks 21st out of 43 films he is credited with on boxofficemojo. But I will concede that it was no blockbuster. Of course the cast of the movie was wall-to-wall A-listers, including Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, Willem Dafoe and Jeff Goldblum. It is a quirky movie that won't be to many people's tastes but fans of the Life Aquatic seem to really like it (considerable spread between critic (56%) and audience (82%) rating on Rotten Tomatoes).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/cha ... ESC&p=.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:51 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Yet his career has been declared dead several times after each successive reboot and one shot wonders followed by abject failures or plain forgettable movies.
Maybe it's because of his overwhelming inability to act. You can't fit his single-character persona into very many good films.