Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: "Break In" period
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:29 pm 

Do you believe in it? What change in SQ have you noticed after a break in time frame?( It could be for any component, such as speakers, amps, sources, cables, etc.) My personal experience is that there would be very little improvement in SQ, after the break in period. I would like to know the opinions of the rest of members here.

Hope this would be very educational and informative thread.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: "Break In" period
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:33 pm 

especially if the manufacturer calls for 200 hours it's hooey...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:40 pm 
Premium User

Che Cavolo wrote:

We all know some of the self appointed experts on here know better than manufacturers and every audio designer/builder in history.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:56 pm 

In my experience break-in time is valid and important. I've experienced changes over time in products that are largely dependent on movement (e.g., phono cartridges and speakers) and electronics as well. I'm listening to Radio Paradise through my computer fed into an Alpha Esprit DAC/headphone amp as I write this and I've noticed an improvement over the past few months. I would call the improvement a shift to a more "musical" sound, as vague as that may sound. Essentially, it's just a lot more pleasant to listen to than it was when I first plugged it in.
my $0.02 worth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:56 pm 

I find moving cables around, or just hooking them up fresh makes them sound a little different. But we're talking about 30 minutes until everything is cool again. About the same time it take the amp to warm up if you've unplugged that as well. Does not seem to apply to digital cables at all. As for burn in with cables, I've heard differences after burn in with speaker cables only. I don't know why, but brand new, or cables that haven't been used for a year or so sound better after a day or so. Past that, never heard a difference. Speakers and tubes seem to be the only thing I can hear a difference with significant break in. That is, over a day or week. Never noticed it with electronics, cartridges, power cables, or digital cables to any extent past maybe 30 minutes of plain old warming up. That's not to say it doesn't exist. I figure my memory isn't good enough to notice that extent of break in/burn in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:57 pm 

I purchased a TT at Christmas and was rather underwhelmed in the sq. Big disappointment at first but then after a month or so it started to sound much better. I assume it was a break in on the cart; anyway it certainly did improve.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:58 pm 

If it has moving parts, IMHO, it require a breakin period to sound its best. I found this most true with cartridges and speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:00 pm 

brf wrote:
If it has moving parts, IMHO, it require a breakin period to sound its best. I found this most true with cartridges and speakers.

This pretty much mirrors my experience as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:05 pm 

Not every component has a significant change after break in. IME amp need about 50 hours, cartridges 20 to 50, speakers about 100 hours.

I bought two entirely new systems last years so lots of break in. I play a lot of music but listen very quietly so it seemed to take forever for my new Harbeth speakers to break in. They sounded good out f the box but kind of slow and tubby compared to the out going B&Ws. It took about 100 to 150 hours for them to open up.

Worse component for break was my Clearaudio Basic Plus two box phono Pre. It took more than 200 hours to properly break in. Before then it could sound a bit lean. I also own the cheaper Clearaudio Nano which was good out of the box and sounded right after 25 hours.

My tube Pre took 100 hours or so.

Turntables with really good bearings take a while. Both of my Linns and my Revolver seemed to take 50 to 100 hours while my Rega, Pro-Ject and Clearaudio were better out of the box and fine after about 25 to 50 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:42 pm 

If it sounds like poop out of the box.

It always will.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:53 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
brf wrote:

This pretty much mirrors my experience as well.

+1

If it moves or has tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:01 pm 

agree with banerjba....some of the cartridges may even require 100 hours to get "the sound".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:05 pm 

It varies from component to component. For example it took at least 200 hours of breaking in time before the Ayre PX5 XE phono stage and Audio Research CD3 MKII cdp to finally open up. However, on the other side of the scale the Yulong DA8 DAC and Krell Evolution 202 pre amp only took 50 hours of breaking in time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:13 pm 

James_W wrote:
Che Cavolo wrote:

We all know some of the self appointed experts on here know better than manufacturers and every audio designer/builder in history.

I believe it's a crutch ( and who would ever suspect so-called high end manufacturers of employing angles). You believe you can hear and remember significant differences after 30 days. I call bunk and that has been disproven, but who cares (as I put my helmet and firesuit on)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:18 pm 

IMO, break-in time is real for some parts. Cartridges and speakers for sure. I don't know what to think about Teflon capacitors.

Warm up time is also real, so that the circuit components become thermally stable. That's warm up.

These two things are often confused. ie, some say the amp needs 24 hours to break in, then 24 hours of warmup.... I suspect that in many cases, the break-in was all about warm up to begin with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next