Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 am 

I have been trying to do my research online to find a suitable beginners turntable, unfortunately, the more I research the the more I get the itch to buy expensive models. Right now I am very interested in investing in just a Project Debut Carbon or Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB. I think I would prefer the latter but I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere in Canada? Does anyone have any advice/ reviews on this model (Debut Carbon Esprit SB)?

OR

Should I be looking at other Models/ Brands altogether?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:44 pm 

Hi.
I think that your choice is good. I have an experience with Project and Music Hall (practically the same models if you compare price wise). They assembly on the same plant in Czech Republic. From my experience I can tell that I choose Music Hall.
But they all looking and sounding quite good. I could give you the link to see the prices for yourself and compare.

http://audiooasis.com/blog/category/turntables

http://baybloorradio.com/index.php?rout ... ry&path=45

http://www.planetofsoundonline.com/coll ... turntables

Best regards,
Yuriy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 pm 

Canadian dealers are not permitted to sell Pro-ject online so you are going to have to take a trip. Planet Of Sound in Toronto has a great selection of Pro-Ject tables, same with Bay Bloor. But call first!! The Debut Carbon has become pretty popular and stores are selling out quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:16 pm 

Fairview HiFi in Burlington sells Project...I purchased a 5.1RPM from them and then upgraded to a 9.2RPM. Talk to Courtney, he's their vinyl guy..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:48 pm 

Have you checked with Target Hi Fi on Dundas St?

Their website says they're a Pro-ject dealer.

http://www.targethifi.com/products.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:08 pm 

Hi there... Well I do have a slightly different approach to turntables.
They can start out simple but very quickly become complicated and expensive also when adding a fairly nice MM or even MC cartridge.
I found over the years that your table and cartridge set up is critical and not everyone knows how.
I have not owned a project although I believe they are recent manufacturers as opposed to people like Thorens or Linn.
My first turntable was a Pioneer pl110 and since then have owned and or listened to
Harman/kardon-- Denon-- Rega ( the planar 3 is exquisite .)
Also Thorens which I am currently running with an Ortofon MC30 cartridge.
The list does seem endless but I just wanted to let you know there are many choices available to you .
Audio equipment is as good as your ears and your existing system.
That said I'm sure you would enjoy the Project table properly set up/balanced and isolated.
There is an entire market on the accessories for turntables alone.
If you do make vinyl an important part of your system your whole audio system will grow and change over the years to come...
Hope this helps...
Happy listening

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 pm 

I am a huge fan of the brand and own many of their products.

One of my daily drivers for 6 years has been a 2008 vintage Debut 3 with Acryl It platter, upgraded counterweight, speedbox2 and various cartridges over the years. Most recently I bought an Essential2. I can't believe it but it actually is better in some ways. The latter is $379 now and I added a better stylus for the cartridge. $500 plus tax and it is brilliant.

I own a couple of big direct drives and more expensive tables from Rega and Clearaudio too with an assortment of cartridges and phono pres. The little Pro-Ject always deliver music in a reliable, fuss free way with no adjustments or operational issues.

I agree that the MH are the ones to get or the Pro-Ject 1 classic. I prefer the non Carbon Fibre arms. They can be a little hard sounding in the upper mid so careful cartridge selection is required.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm 
Premium User

ProJect has been around for 24 years now after buying out an existing turntable company in 1990. Together, they have been making turntables continuously for over 50 years and are the world's largest turntable and turntable parts company by far. Most, if not all, of their entry level models come with the cartridges factory installed and aligned, so they come as close to take it out of the box, plug it in and play music as you can get.

Also at the lower, entry-level end of the market, Dual has a couple of interesting new models.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 pm 

if you starting and want to listen to vinyl if it will make you into it...the Projects are the best entry by far and as a combo with the Ortofon cartridges it is hard to beat even when you are ready to step way up into the vinyl game....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:12 am 

You may also wish to check out Rega as well(rp1 or rp3) - but can't go wrong with project. I would suggest listening to a couple of tables to see what you like/ what works for you before you purchase.

What do you plan to use for a phono stage?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:16 am 

Thank you for all your input. I am not sure what phono stage yet. Any suggestions for one on a budget? and Speakers? haha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 am 

I used the Pro-ject Phonobox 2 initially. If you can go for a tube unit, that would be ideal. Choose a warmer fuller sounding pre.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:23 am 

I am using a Pro-ject 2Xperience Acryl + Ortofon 2Mbronze + Pro-ject Tube box SE II. No complaints here. The sound leans more towards analytical, and so pairs nicely with my tube amp.

My friends Rega P3 + Denon 301cart is warmer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:39 pm 

Dear MR. Obi.
It is nice that project has been in existence for about 25 years and whoever they paired up with probably saw a good business deal...
BUT... The name THORENS has been around for over one hundred years.
I think they know something about turntables.
I am sorry but I am not a fan of plug in and play turntables out of a box.
After that turntable has been bumped around in shipping from czecklislovakia I
would want to make sure it was balanced and the cartridge mounted properly.
No offense intended but I grew up selling turntables since 1975 and there used to be a regiment for selling a table with a properly mounted cartridge and the customer did not not leave the store until each table was perfect.
Again MR. Obi no offense intended but I know of what I speak.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:59 pm 

This reply is to the original author of this thread.
Just so you are aware there happens to be a REGA PLANAR 3 available right now on Canuck AUDIOMART that almost 500 viewers are drewling over available for 250.00$!!!
That price is unheard of.
I'll bet dollars to donuts it won't be around long considering it usually sells upwards of 500 bucks.
Do yourself a favour and get in touch with the CAMMER selling it.
It won't cost you anything to see what a Rega is all about.
I don't know what you would pay for the entry level PRO-JECT but if the Rega has no issues it would blow the Pro-Ject away.
Cheers....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next