Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Net Neutrality
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:38 pm 

Interesting article on what might happen to music with the recent ruling on net neutrality

Makes me happy I have purchased actual physical mediums for my music (vinyl, cd's)

http://gizmodo.com/what-happens-to-music-after-net-neutrality-1503676551

Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:27 pm 

this article doesn't actually have a fact stated; only far reaching possibilities.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:08 pm 

Well - kind of why I stated might happen. However, this all may be closer than you think. Was listening to a program on CBC on the weekend and they were discussing this very issue. Bell is already promoting their content by having it not count towards your data cap. If you listen to another content provider (streaming service), it does count towards your data cap. They were also saying that (in the US) an ISP can block a service from gaining access to the internet. They don't have to say why, they just have to give you notice that they are blocking you. Does not sound too conducive to competition or innovation.
Canada has not net neutrality laws at all, but in so many things - As the US goes so goes Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:24 pm 

I think the consumer will get what the consumer wants.
The recent spectrum auction will provide the telcos with a much broader bandwidth for competition with the cable/phone companies so restricting the consumer would not be in anyone's best interest.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:20 am 

Posted this in another thread where the only response was crickets...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 46#p770846

I think we just witnessed the expropriation of public property. True, the ISP and content providers own the infrastructure, but they do also for OTA broadcasts, but not the spectrum which is publicly owned. The Net should be public as well.

Anybody thinks this isn't going to affect Canada is forgetting the lesson of the canary in the coal mine. We'll be screwed every bit as much as the Americans are now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:29 am 

ripblade wrote:
Anybody thinks this isn't going to affect Canada is forgetting the lesson of the canary in the coal mine. We'll be screwed every bit as much as the Americans are now.

With the staggering amount of content and corporate interest residing in the US, this isn't just going to affect Canada but the internet globally.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:41 am 

mpublicover wrote:

If the consumer is willing to pay extra for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:24 am 

I think rip nailed it! This is about public domain being transferred to private domain through law without compensation to the public for it’s true value. The US has a history of this and in large part the reason so many of our copyright laws are so different. In Canada air waves are considered public domain not so in the US. The internet is still considered public domain in our country as well, and our courts uphold that position. Hydro, water and sewage are also largely still in the public domain in this country as well, you cannot thank Mike Harris for that, how he tried. Again those utilities are almost solely in the private domain in the US. Make no mistake republicans are big business and they will take the opportunity of Trump’s presidency to rape and control anything in the public domain without compensating the American people. It like stealing for the super wealthy, while ethically bankrupt it is not unlawful. It will be interesting to see how their courts react, but given their history of privatizing the public’s property I am not hopeful. Just look what Trump did recently to their national parks and the destruction has not even begun. This is not the first time the republicans have used a show man to rouse the people, think Regan. The internet as we know it today was an intellectual property that was shared with the public without patent or profit. For the US government to unilaterally force it into private hands for profit violates the rights of those who shared that property. FWIW, T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 am 

The airwaves are public property
try to encore that.
Are radar detectors legal?
Pirate radio?
The NSA.

-- 17 Dec 2017 16:51 --

Try to enforce is what I meant to say

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 am 

natalie wrote:
The airwaves are public property
try to encore that.
Are radar detectors legal?
Pirate radio?
The NSA.

-- 17 Dec 2017 16:51 --

Try to enforce is what I meant to say

Vive la revolution! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am 

For the Americans, I doubt it really matters one way or another. At the end of the day, ISP’s compete feverishly and realize that they will only maximize their profits if they deliver consistently fast connection, a sizable cap and @ a reasonable price point. IOW, they'll look to keep their customers happy by providing them a neutral network; the way they did it pre- 2015. The profits operating a business model this way would dwarf what little $ that might be available by favouring some content over another. IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 am 

mpublicover wrote:

Really?

Then why do Canadian consumers pay the highest cell phone rates in the world?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:12 am 

I'm a self admitted conspiracy theorist on this subject.
IMO the world would eventually become a better place with a free and open internet, but in the long term that would ultimately mean no more wars to fight.
I believe the bullet makers, and by those I mean the conglomeration of companies that sell $600 billion a year of goods to the US military, are wielding their political might behind the scenes. China, who totally controls their internet $210 billion.. Russia $70 billion .. pretty soon we're talking real money..
To me that kind of money means there will always be conflict, that someone will pay the ISIS's to make sure there's conflict. Controlling content and brainwashing the masses is likely not just a politically motivated endeavor ...
Some 2700 people died in 9/11 and the US created a whole new arm of defense and increased their military spending, yet 30,000 people die each year due to domestic gun violence and there's little or no political appetite for gun control? To me that's about as red a flag as you can get about who is really pulling the strings...

We can look at this from a music and entertainment perspective, but that part might just be the shiny object to distract us... or at least the US... sadly when they sneeze we catch a cold..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 am 

Just consider for a moment what a world where companies like Apple, Disney and Warner control what music can stream on the net and what can't?

At least for the moment we have some pretty good free streamers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:19 am 

With all the pictures I'm posting on CAM I won't be able to afford to pay for it in the future.... :lol:

Attachments:
qFqUfam.gif
qFqUfam.gif [ 1020.29 KiB | Viewed 313 times ]