Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Speaker cable lifters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:35 pm 

I'm not a believer that speaker cable lifters will make a sonic difference "yet", but I have an aquarium not too far away from my system and I'd like to elevate all audio gears and accessories off the floor. I've seen porcelain cable lifters and they seem to work quite nicely, but I don't think I can get them anywhere locally in GTA area.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:31 am 

Flea markets and surplus stores should be your best place to find them at a reasonable price. Next step is an electrical supply house. The last place to try is the high end audio boutiques where you will pat up to 50X the price for the same item. You see, these are not meant for residential use; they are meant for industrial/commercial high voltage electrical distribution systems (read Hydro poles).

You can also find them on line in either boutique or commercial formats. Or you can just make your own:

http://www.audiotweaks.com/reviews/cble ... page02.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 am 

I've always wondered if rebar chairs would work.

I've never bought them from this site, but they have a good selection.

http://www.ihlcanada.com/rebarchairs.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:01 am 

Use cut down toilet paper rolls. Seriously. The cable has almost no contact with the roll because of its shape, and is almost floating.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 am 

Temp wrote:
I've always wondered if rebar chairs would work.

http://www.ihlcanada.com/rebarchairs.html

As long as they are not metal, they should work fine and they look more stable than most of the ones I've seen out there. One of my buddys uses upside down coffee mugs with some blu-tac on them for his speaker cables.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 am 

I picked up a bunch of these plumbing t-bar joints from Home Depot for my speaker cables.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 am 

murrayb wrote:
I picked up a bunch of these plumbing t-bar joints from Home Depot for my speaker cables.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:24 am 

[quote="Temp"]I've always wondered if rebar chairs would work.

http://www.ihlcanada.com/rebarchairs.htm Working in construction I routinely see the plastic 1" version and I would say they should work fine. Pretty pricey at $150 per 1000 however. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:35 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Flea markets and surplus stores should be your best place to find them at a reasonable price. Next step is an electrical supply house. The last place to try is the high end audio boutiques where you will pat up to 50X the price for the same item. You see, these are not meant for residential use; they are meant for industrial/commercial high voltage electrical distribution systems (read Hydro poles).

You can also find them on line in either boutique or commercial formats. Or you can just make your own:

http://www.audiotweaks.com/reviews/cble ... page02.htm

So you're saying when I worked for public utilities that those boxes full of ceramic and glass things were actually valuable to someone?? Nobody could figure out what to do with them used ones.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm 

I had access to "pick and pluck" foam at work (comes in carrying cases, such as Pelican, etc). I've seen foam risers in the past, so I made a bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm 

Using anything to lift will not work.

I tried CD jewel, ... and I have cable stiff enough to be "levitate" between amp and speaker without touch the floor ... and it's do nothing apparent.

Only Shunyata Darkfield v2 worked for me. It's discharge the cable like use a big magnet over the speaker cable and after replug them.

I see sometimes no improvement because my speaker cable was discharged (amp was off for a long time, cable disconnect ...) and when I am doing A/B, it's almost same ...

When my system is in function for a long time and I am doing A/B ... it's very apparent.

They not expansive if you don't need too much. I am using 2 per side (I have 6 feets speaker cable).

I prefer use cable lifter over let the cable float between amp and speaker.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:11 pm 

pompon wrote:
Using anything to lift will not work.

I tried CD jewel, ... and I have cable stiff enough to be "levitate" between amp and speaker without touch the floor ... and it's do nothing apparent.

Only Shunyata Darkfield v2 worked for me. It's discharge the cable like use a big magnet over the speaker cable and after replug them.

I see sometimes no improvement because my speaker cable was discharged (amp was off for a long time, cable disconnect ...) and when I am doing A/B, it's almost same ...

When my system is in function for a long time and I am doing A/B ... it's very apparent.

They not expansive if you don't need too much. I am using 2 per side (I have 6 feets speaker cable).

I prefer use cable lifter over let the cable float between amp and speaker.

Why did you sell my old CRX ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm 
Premium User

picked a couple of packages of these at Michaels, glued 2 pieces of the same shape together

for the feet - I chopped an .032" (ga) aluminum sheet and bent the strips at work. then screwed and glued to the bottom of the foam pad and painted them black. then actually look cool

for less than $50, I was able to do around 20 cable lifts of different shapes :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:49 pm 

I was giving this some thought as I saw it on the forum. I'm most likely going to make some from 4 x 4 pine. Cutting a v grove with a table saw then chopping it into aprox 2inch lengths. I've thought about adhering a dampening material in the grove, cork or rubber, and perhaps giving it some weight somehow on the underside. Slap some stain and sealant on them and voilà. If nothing else it'd help with cable mgmt. And look sweet as well for very little investment. If I do it ill post some pictures, just in the idea stage right now. Suggestions welcome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 pm 

I went to a dollar shop and bought little glass jars and chop sticks. filled the glass jars with sand and stuck the chopsticks in them, like an X shape. works great, cost less than $10.
I have also used the chopsticks alone, it took three to make a little 'teepee' I used teflon tape at the top and a dab of hot glue.
I went the jar/glass route hoping the sand would deaden vibrations.
About 4-5 years ago I bought Shunyata Dark Field elevators. Waste of money. They also fell apart from my then HT Pro9 speaker cables..too heavy I guess. Was told to use double sided tape to repair. Have not bought ANYTHING Shunyata since :x
I have also used rebar ladders as suggested above. And rebar end caps. $20 at a job site.
Anyways, experiment with this. It is fun, and easy/cheap.
I have also read of a guy who put hooks into his ceiling and suspended his cables with thin string. It looked very odd. The string was so thin in the pics the cables looked like they were floating!