Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm
Posts: 2450
Location: cambridge, ON, CA
the age of an amplifier when a recap is required

5 years
7 years
10 years
15 years
20 years

or more

_________________
if indeed it is lonely at the top

it`s lonely at the bottom too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm
Posts: 348
Location: London, ON, CA
Electrolytic cap life is dependent on the running time and the temperature that the caps reached.
Sitting beside a rectifier tube with very little ventilation is a classic design flaw that cooks the filter caps fairly quickly.

All the old paper and mica caps (1950's and earlier) should be replaced regardless.

What amp and what vintage? :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm
Posts: 2450
Location: cambridge, ON, CA
jst_canuck wrote:
Electrolytic cap life is dependent on the running time and the temperature that the caps reached.
Sitting beside a rectifier tube with very little ventilation is a classic design flaw that cooks the filter caps fairly quickly.

All the old paper and mica caps (1950's and earlier) should be replaced regardless.

What amp and what vintage? :)


10 years old mcintosh solid state

_________________
if indeed it is lonely at the top

it`s lonely at the bottom too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm
Posts: 348
Location: London, ON, CA
1980z28car wrote:
jst_canuck wrote:
Electrolytic cap life is dependent on the running time and the temperature that the caps reached.
Sitting beside a rectifier tube with very little ventilation is a classic design flaw that cooks the filter caps fairly quickly.

All the old paper and mica caps (1950's and earlier) should be replaced regardless.

What amp and what vintage? :)


10 years old mcintosh solid state

Nice stuff! I would leave it alone unless you hear 60 or 120Hz hum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:54 pm
Posts: 2450
Location: cambridge, ON, CA
jst_canuck wrote:
1980z28car wrote:
jst_canuck wrote:
Electrolytic cap life is dependent on the running time and the temperature that the caps reached.
Sitting beside a rectifier tube with very little ventilation is a classic design flaw that cooks the filter caps fairly quickly.

All the old paper and mica caps (1950's and earlier) should be replaced regardless.

What amp and what vintage? :)


10 years old mcintosh solid state

Nice stuff! I would leave it alone unless you hear 60 or 120Hz hum.


Thankyou

Just what I wanted to hear

_________________
if indeed it is lonely at the top

it`s lonely at the bottom too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 10226
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
If there are signs of leakage or bulging, then replace them regardless of age.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm
Posts: 348
Location: London, ON, CA
Erik wrote:
If there are signs of leakage or bulging, then replace them regardless of age.

+1

Forgot the visual inspection aspect :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 2391
Location: Golden Triangle, ON, CA
The technical answer,
most good techs would suggest every 10 years to keep the
amplifier running at optimum as it was built biased and
designed to as new specs would be.

The realistic answer,
1/ when your ears tell you its time
2/ when your wallet says you can afford to

or
3/ the amplifier makes both 1 and 2 moot points
with a painfull silence or an irritating buzz


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:58 am
Posts: 2180
Location: Chatham, ON, CA
Yep, just had one go down in terrible silence. Not nice at all. :cry:

_________________
IF IT DON'T FIT.......FORCE IT!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:31 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
I think many will recap when it is not necesary. I wanted to recap my Sugden amp, based on many suggesting that it needed to be done given its age of 23 years. I took it to my tech, and he said to leave it alone, caps were good. I had my doubts, so I contacted Sugden directly. The advice was the same - very likely nothing wrong with the caps. Not suggesting at all that recapping is not required for many amps, but I think its done in many cases where its not required.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:33 am
Posts: 108
Location: Kanata, ON, CA
Has anyone had experience with Rowland Model 12? They're absolutely silent but I wonder if I should pretend I know what I'm doing and open them up?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:38 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: A green and pleasant land
Most good techs I know would say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." They would test it using appropriate equipment, and if it's running in spec, with no visible potential points of failure (i.e. the bulging caps thing), that would be it - enjoy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:50 pm
Posts: 10226
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
cyrus wrote:
I think many will recap when it is not necesary. I wanted to recap my Sugden amp, based on many suggesting that it needed to be done given its age of 23 years. I took it to my tech, and he said to leave it alone, caps were good. I had my doubts, so I contacted Sugden directly. The advice was the same - very likely nothing wrong with the caps. Not suggesting at all that recapping is not required for many amps, but I think its done in many cases where its not required.


I find it hard to believe that caps, even in storage, would last 23 years. But perhaps storage is harder on a cap than running it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 10260
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
cyrus wrote:
I think many will recap when it is not necesary. I wanted to recap my Sugden amp, based on many suggesting that it needed to be done given its age of 23 years. I took it to my tech, and he said to leave it alone, caps were good. I had my doubts, so I contacted Sugden directly. The advice was the same - very likely nothing wrong with the caps. Not suggesting at all that recapping is not required for many amps, but I think its done in many cases where its not required.
+1.

Audiophiles are tweakers by nature, and caps are just another tweakable object. Replacement is often more of a feel good thing than about bringing any real improvement.

PS caps in my Threshold S/150 are original, going on 30 years. The amp looks and sounds fine. Never turn it off though, which helps with the longevity.

_________________
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

~ Clarke's 3rd Law


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:00 am
Posts: 2391
Location: Golden Triangle, ON, CA
Erik wrote:

I find it hard to believe that caps, even in storage, would last 23 years. But perhaps storage is harder on a cap than running it?



===================================================

Actually I was always under the impression that leaving it stored for extended periods of time then firing it up cold is hardest on them . Hence the Variac.

I think the concept of the degrading over time is not something one could argue against and appear sane. As much as I tend to lean on the side of it aint broke don't fix it
the concept of swapping the caps after 10 years especially on the power side of an amp
is sound reasoning. When that reasoning is to have the amp always performing as new and at its optimum as it did when new.

Ever wonder how many people descide to make changes , one of the asides of an aging amp and caps loosing grip is a lessening of power and and earlier clipping that undeniably
leads to fatigue when listening...........that leads to usually the for sale sign instead
of a re capp.......


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group