Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:17 am 

Just for fun I was dreaming about what an ultimate (within what I could realistically afford) system might be and how well it would work together. Basically replacing all the components I have now with Bryston. Does anyone own such a set up or know of a good place to demo? My thoughts were...

Bdp2 digital player
Bda2 dac
B60r integrated
2.5BSST amp
And external or internal phone stage

I think it would retail for around $12000 all together which really doesn't seem so bad. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 143.51 KiB | Viewed 4241 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 130.01 KiB | Viewed 4241 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 32.04 KiB | Viewed 4241 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:50 am 

It depends on whether you like the Bryston sound or not; I do.

I found myself replacing my components with Bryston and it sounds great to me. Each piece reinforces the others.

I have:
BDP-1
BDA-1
BP25
4BST

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:52 am 

Where did you purchase from and how much did it cost? I'm 90% digital and really enjoy the bryston sound.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:43 am 

Mostly here on CAM.

Anything new I've bought at Whitby Audio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:14 am 

Just for fun, i did a search for Bryston. 123 items come up, now that's all I did mind you. Maybe the search isn't real accurate but I did figure finding used Bryston pieces wouldn't be a big challenge. Does any other manufacturer stand behind their product better then Bryston? Being Canadian doesn't hurt either in my mind
Al

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 am 

Any particular reason you are looking for both an integrated and power amp? Buying used Bryston gear is easy (make sure you have the invoices for warranty purposes) and I suspect an alternate choice would be a BP-6 preamp mated to a 4B-SST - could well be the same price zone as the integrated and small 2B amp you mention in your original post.

you don't mention speakers and that will weight heavily on the amp required to run them. I am Bryston fan-boy but will admit they are not always the most optimal choice for every speaker...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 am 

Wow - the very thought is giving me the willies...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 am 

I've long used Bryston preamps and digital products, but have never warmed to their power amps, although I've tried many of them, including the 3B-SST2, 4B-SST2 and 7B-SST2.

At TAVES, however, I was impressed by the all-Bryston system that—of course!—Bryston was using, including the Model T loudspeakers.

Now 91 dB sensitivity is a bit low for my tastes, but, yes, you could easily assemble an excellent all-Bryston system except for the sources: the turntable, tonearm, cartridge and tuner would have to come from some other manufacturer...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 am 
Premium User

Alharcourt wrote:
Just for fun, i did a search for Bryston. 123 items come up, now that's all I did mind you. Maybe the search isn't real accurate but I did figure finding used Bryston pieces wouldn't be a big challenge. Does any other manufacturer stand behind their product better then Bryston? Being Canadian doesn't hurt either in my mind
Al

That search figure of 123 is deceiving. If you take out all the ads where dealers (and others) have the word Bryston listed in their ads for other products they carry, the number of Bryston components for sale is around 60.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:27 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
I've long used Bryston preamps and digital products, but have never warmed to their power amps, although I've tried many of them, including the 3B-SST2, 4B-SST2 and 7B-SST2.

At TAVES, however, I was impressed by the all-Bryston system that—of course!—Bryston was using, including the Model T loudspeakers.

Now 91 dB sensitivity is a bit low for my tastes, but, yes, you could easily assemble an excellent all-Bryston system except for the sources: the turntable, tonearm, cartridge and tuner would have to come from some other manufacturer...

No problem, the BCD1 if the OP has CD's. :)

-- 19 Apr 2013 21:31 --

Alharcourt wrote:
Al

The answer is NO, Bryston's 20 yr transferrable warranty is the best in this business. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm 

mkaiser wrote:
dr.joe wrote:

Alharcourt wrote:
Al

The answer is NO, Bryston's 20 yr transferrable warranty is the best in this business. 8)

Is the 20 year warranty only transferable with original invoice or does it stand on its own for the 20 years as long as date code/serial number shows manufacture date?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 pm 

hfisher3380 wrote:
Wow - the very thought is giving me the willies...

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've got to agree!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm 

docpipes wrote:
mkaiser wrote:
dr.joe wrote:

Alharcourt wrote:
Al

Is the 20 year warranty only transferable with original invoice or does it stand on its own for the 20 years as long as date code/serial number shows manufacture date?

I am not sure, however I would obtain the original bill of sales from the seller. Ask James Tanner of Bryston at this link to get a confirmed answer to your question. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=57.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:29 pm 

docpipes wrote:

Actually its both , depending on date of manufacture copy of original
bill of sale from "authorized" dealer or not if prior to date below from
the bryston warantee page.

"As of 2006-02-22 Bryston will only warranty Bryston products purchased through authorized Bryston dealers. Bryston products with a date code of 0608 or higher (date code format is “yyww”, where “yy” is the two least significant digits of the year and “ww” is the week of the year) must be accompanied by a copy of the bill-of-sale from a Bryston authorized dealer to qualify for warranty service. The warranty is transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner as long as a copy of the bill-of-sale from the original authorized Bryston dealer accompanies the re-sale. The copy of the bill of sale to any subsequent owner need ONLY include the Name of the Bryston Authorized Dealer and the Model and Serial number of the Bryston product. The warranty will only be honoured in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:34 pm 

go to audiocircle lots of bryston

james tanner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next