Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:18 am 

A neutral sound does not exist, each UNIT as it's own sound you like it or you don't that's it , NO two musical instrument sound exactly the same does that mean one is better than the other NO just different and it's exactly the same with your gear, so please stop all this neutral garbage and choose the sound that YOU prefer not what others want you to choose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:29 am 

This porridge is too hot

This porridge is too cold

This porridge is just right...

Neutral = real to me, closer to the truth of what is on the media you are listening to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:33 am 

The one you get when you are between Reverse and Drive.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 am 

The question is, how would anyone know what the "truth" of the recording really is unless you were in the studio when the album was being recorded or in the mastering suite when it was being mastered? Otherwise, what is your point of reference to say that a piece of gear is neutral? How do you really know it's not coloring the recording?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:43 am 

I thought that was french onion soup you were sitting in Weirdness :lol:

I agree with you Weirdness.
To me it would be uncoloured reproduction.As close to the original media's sound as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 am 

lovethesound wrote:
As close to the original media's sound as possible.

Go back to my point above. How do you know what the media's original sound is supposed to be? Let's say you only ever listened to it on gear that was, in reality, not neutral. Again, where's the frame of reference?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 am 

Rephleks wrote:
lovethesound wrote:
As close to the original media's sound as possible.

Go back to my point above. How do you know what the media's original sound is supposed to be? Let's say you only ever listened to it on gear that was, in reality, not neutral. Again, where's the frame of reference?

I agree there is no waying of knowing what the recording is supposed to sound like. For me, the reference would be the sound of my current system. If I change a component and the sound doesn't change, then I guess that component would be considered to be neutral. But then, what would be the point of changing it in the first place? My goal has always been to create a sound that I enjoy, and if a new component doesn't increase my listening pleasure then I don't want it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 am 

I'll know it when I don't hear it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 am 

Rephleks wrote:
The question is, how would anyone know what the "truth" of the recording really is unless you were in the studio when the album was being recorded or in the mastering suite when it was being mastered? Otherwise, what is your point of reference to say that a piece of gear is neutral? How do you really know it's not coloring the recording?

I would include the most musical instrument unique to each of us, our ear. T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:07 am 

Temp wrote:
I'll know it when I don't hear it. :)

Truer words were never spoken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 am 

To my mind, a component is neutral when every recording that passes through it sounds different. A neutral sound is the result of assembling a stereo of neutral components. Pretty much impossible to do, but it can be mimicked.

A corollary of neutral is tonally balanced; it might be lacking at the frequency extremes but on balance, the midrange is smooth, favouring no particular aspect or region.

~ Clarke's 3rd Law

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:52 am 

When the input signal is faithfully reproduced

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:55 am 

The better sounding my system became with upgrades the more revealing it became of the quality of the recordings. Some discs (lp or CD) sounded great, with lots of detail and dynamics. Others sounded dull and compressed. Does my system have a neutral sound, adding little to the source? It's hard to tell as there is so much variation in the quality of the media.

In going from solid state to tube amps with the same recording, I notice that the sound is just as detailed but perhaps not quite as extended in the highs. Does that mean that the solid state amp was adding extra output or was the tube amp not producing as much? I guess neutral is open to interpretation as I don't know what it was supposed to sound like in the first place. Perhaps neutral sound is just the sound you interpret as the most natural and realistic. This will vary from person to person.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 am 

Rephleks wrote:

Exactly, which is why I have true reference recordings which I recorded myself. Unfortunately, as time goes by, I forget what that reference is supposed to sound like :lol:

As to the point of being "neutral" ..... tools (spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc) are available that allows for the measurement of all aspects of distortions in audio components and which will give very solid indications of how neutral your gear is, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 am 

ripblade wrote:
To my mind, a component is neutral when every recording that passes through it sounds different.

unless you are comparing the exact recording from the same media of the same piece of music how could they not?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next