Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am 

Receiver: Denon AVR-989 (circa 2009, but new to me)
Blue Ray: Oppo 103 (brand new)
TV: Samsung 42 plasma, 720p (circa 2007)

Oppo HDMI out 1 -> Receiver
Oppo HDMI out 2 -> TV

All HDMI CEC functions/anynet etc turned off.

There's a really annoying interruption / audible popping when the Oppo loads a new disc, or starts a new video program (i.e. changes from FBI warning to Disc menu), or even, if I'm playing an audio track, and then turn the TV on - it will interrupt the audio for a second and a half.

The Denon firmware isn't upgradable, but the TV and Oppo are all at the latest firmware.

I think it has something to do with the HDMI connection to the TV - even though supposedly there's no loopback HDMI features enabled.

I have searched every Oppo and Denon threads with no real luck. I did a processor reset on the Denon, it didn't fix it; I tried alternate HDMI input ports - no luck on that either; and, I tried alternate HDMI output configurations on the Oppo.

Any thoughts? (and thanks in advance)

Last edited by Fact75 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am 

You should do the software update for your Denon first, if it doesn't help, send the information to the oppo technical support, I have some audio problem (maybe hdmi handshake) with my yamaha receiver, send the information to oppo, they send me a special software update for the yamaha receiver, problem solve.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am 

Out of curiosity, can you try Oppo HDMI 1 -> Denon -> TV?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:36 am 

pwong888 wrote:
You should do the software update for your Denon first, if it doesn't help, send the information to the oppo technical support, I have some audio problem (maybe hdmi handshake) with my yamaha receiver, send the information to oppo, they send me a special software update for the yamaha receiver, problem solve.

Interesting. I don't believe I can upgrade the firmware on the Denon - there's no USB/ethernet or wifi connectivity for it.

-- 08 Mar 2013 19:37 --

zhenya01 wrote:

I will try this tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:22 pm 

Sorry, I mean oppo send me a special update for the 103.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 pm 

Fact75 wrote:
pwong888 wrote:

Interesting. I don't believe I can upgrade the firmware on the Denon - there's no USB/ethernet or wifi connectivity for it.

-- 08 Mar 2013 19:37 --

zhenya01 wrote:

I will try this tonight.

I just did this, and it didn't help. And further, I completely removed the TV from the loop, and it still did it. So the TV is not the culprit. It has something to do with the HDMI relationship between the OPPO and the Denon receiver.

At least I know it's not the TV and only an issue between 2 components now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:51 pm 

Can you try a different hdmi cable? They dont last forever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:27 pm 

seve20 wrote:
Can you try a different hdmi cable? They dont last forever.

Hopefully they last a little longer than 3 months :lol:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
As it turns out, I sent an email to Oppo - not really expecting anything back so soon. They had me set the HDMI output to LPCM to check for pops - it didn't pop. [Edit: See later thread... it does still pop in LPCM mode].

This lead them to believe that the issue may be caused by the receiver not properly engaging the muting circuit. Further, they suggested I still might be able to upgrade the Denon firmware through RS232 or even optical cable - so I will look into that option. At least for now, it appears that the culprit is the receiver.

Last edited by Fact75 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:39 pm 

If i am not mistaken, when you use both HDMI outs from the Oppo, HDMI 1 should go to the TV and HDMI 2 should go to the receiver for audio.
I think thats how the manual reads.
Probably for a reason.

Good Luck. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm 

lovethesound wrote:
If i am not mistaken, when you use both HDMI outs from the Oppo, HDMI 1 should go to the TV and HDMI 2 should go to the receiver for audio.
I think thats how the manual reads.
Probably for a reason.

Good Luck. :wink:

Definitely a good catch there, as HDMI 1 has a superior video processing chipset, compared to HDMI 2. But it shouldn't fix OP's problem, as he already mentioned. You should be able to hook up 2 displays to two HDMI ports without any problems (i.e. TV and projector).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:13 pm 

Hi, hdmi cables are a tempermental, crabby , iffy bunch. They dont always play nice with other components .There are a lot of tiny wires that are prone to fail due to over bending or kinking. Its a cheap fix .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 am 

I have the 103 with HDMI 1 outputting to the Denon 2311CI outputting to a Panny VT25 with all video processing off on the Denon. No pops or hisses when using the Oppo or anything else.

Regarding the FW update for the Denon, maybe call Denon and see if there is one available and maybe you can bring it in to be done at their service dept. But that is only the case if an update is available. If not, it may be something internal with the Denon. Good luck.

JJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 am 

JJMONIE wrote:
I have the 103 with HDMI 1 outputting to the Denon 2311CI outputting to a Panny VT25 with all video processing off on the Denon. No pops or hisses when using the Oppo or anything else.

Regarding the FW update for the Denon, maybe call Denon and see if there is one available and maybe you can bring it in to be done at their service dept. But that is only the case if an update is available. If not, it may be something internal with the Denon. Good luck.

JJ

That's encouraging to know. I will see what I can find out from Denon. I hope they still provide some level of after-care for 5 year old receivers.

Re: Previous posters HDMI 1 vs HDMI 2 - yes, you are right - I did in fact have HDMI1->TV and HDMI2->Receiver; with Split AV option enabled. I also tried the other combinations and the DUAL AV option.

Re: HDMI cables be temperamental - Yes, I understand that - and am very surprised how flimsy the connections can be - and at the lack of some kind of locking or click - so that they stay connected.

The more I read about it, the muting circuitry on the receiver does seem to be the culprit.

-- 12 Mar 2013 --

Contrary to my previous post, it appears that running the Oppo in LPCM mode does not actually rectify the situation. The Static/Popping is still there. However, I have further narrowed the annoyance down - it is only happening in the rear surround channels.

No response yet from Denon on firmware availability - from what I have read, the few firmware updates don't address this issue anyways.

As I am only using HDMI for audio transport to the receiver - I am close to considering using the analog multi-channel input/outputs. I presume the Oppo's DAC is better than the Denon's anyways.

-- 13 Mar 2013 --

After some more digging, and tweaking, I think I've finally got my system setup where the aforementioned "HDMI Popping/snapping/static" has been tamed.

The trick seems to be - avoid any kind of HDMI handshaking - by explicitly not using AUTO on any component.

I set the Oppo Player's HDMI audio out from Auto to LPCM.
I set the Denon Receiver's HDMI input decode mode from Auto to PCM.

I also configured a few other HDMI video settings on the Oppo to properly match the TV as opposed to Auto.

I could still detect a hint of the issue, but generally it is 99% tamed. If I hear anything at all it, is merely a slight tick, which at -5dB volume setting is still barely audible (as opposed to the previously startling "oh my god, did I just blow my tweeters" snap beforehand).

I will continue to update this thread for posterity if I find anything else out.

-- 24 Apr 2014 --

Sadly no. It is still randomly popping (not as severe), but still popping (1 in 25 pops are loud enough to make you want to crap your pants). Denon tells me there was one firmware upgrade for this receiver but it was not to address this issue.