Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cables to buy?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm 

Hi everyone, just finished putting together the system i plan to keep to keep for a while. I have been looking into the next small step to improve audio through quality cables. My hifi dealer lent me a few to take home and try. They are Audioquest Big Sur and Audioquest Sydney. Any thoughts on these cables? Thanks for the input :)

Post subject: Re: Cables to buy?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 pm 

That was nice of your dealer to let you take the cables home to try. Audioquest make good cables.

Do the trial like this:

Choose 4 or 5 recordings you like with varied instruments, recording spaces and styles of music. Whatever you have. One acoustic, one blues, maybe some jazz, a symphony... a nice mix.

Get a pencil and a note pad. Sit down and listen to the selections using one of the cable sets the dealer lent. If you make notes, make notes about how you react to the music. Note details too, if you want, but try not to analyze. Just note down what you like so you don't forget. Like, "great rhythm, those guys MOVE" is one note I remember making once.

Then turn the amp off and switch cables Make sure you get the polarity right. Listen to the same 4 or 5 tracks again and make notes Don't try to describe the differences you hear, just make notes about the music again.

This is the best way I know to compare audio gear. It's even better if you can do it with a buddy, the two of you with a pencil and note pad each.

After that's done, go back and tell the dealer what you heard.

Tell us too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 pm 
Premium User

i would spend a little extra and go with diamondback or king cobra from audioquest.

-- 12 Feb 2013 04:29 --

i

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:35 pm 

I'll second Toby about testing the cables with various music styles.

Also, if your dealer can lend you with some other brands than Audioquest, it would be even better. Not all cable brands match your system. Some do better and some don't. When I was selecting cables, I tried different brands (Nordost, Kimber, Audioquest, MIT and Transparent). Finally I got stuck with Transparent Cables as they provide me a lot of listening pleasure without the ear fatigue inherent to way-too-analytic cables (e.g. Nordost).

Good success in your quest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 pm 

Good luck in your audio quest! :lol: Couldn't resist!

De gustibus non est disputandum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:42 pm 

Atlas(t) some cable humor :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:12 pm 

rednecknber wrote:
i would spend a little extra and go with diamondback or king cobra from audioquest.

i

So you recommend someone to upgrade their cables without even knowing what they have in their system? No comment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 pm 
Premium User

zhenya01 wrote:
rednecknber wrote:

i

So you recommend someone to upgrade their cables without even knowing what they have in their system? No comment.

what ever bud just saying the diamondback and king cobra are better than the ones from what the dealer gave him now go back and listen to your sony walkman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 am 

My take on testing cables is a little different. I do not subscribe to the idea of switching cables during a session. Cables have to be lived with for an extended period of time so their specific attributes or deficiencies can be noted by the listener with a wide variety of music and under various degrees of listening intensity.

The problem, of course, is that the dealer may not be so generous to lend cables for an extended period of time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:35 am 

I find AudioQuest CV-6 speaker cables to be quite good.

But for whatever reason, I've found there is harshness with AQ Vipers and King Cobras interconnects.

For mid lines of interconnects, I would suggest you look at Supra, Atlas or DH Labs

Leif Luscombe is a Violin maker in Ontario - he makes fabulous interconnects.
They are a Litz style interconnect using solid silver wire with teflon insulation
The RCA's are DH Labs high copper content.
But a pair of these go for $200

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:13 am 

Toby wrote:
That was nice of your dealer to let you take the cables home to try. Audioquest make good cables.

Do the trial like this:

Choose 4 or 5 recordings you like with varied instruments, recording spaces and styles of music. Whatever you have. One acoustic, one blues, maybe some jazz, a symphony... a nice mix.

Get a pencil and a note pad. Sit down and listen to the selections using one of the cable sets the dealer lent. If you make notes, make notes about how you react to the music. Note details too, if you want, but try not to analyze. Just note down what you like so you don't forget. Like, "great rhythm, those guys MOVE" is one note I remember making once.

Then turn the amp off and switch cables Make sure you get the polarity right. Listen to the same 4 or 5 tracks again and make notes Don't try to describe the differences you hear, just make notes about the music again.

This is the best way I know to compare audio gear. It's even better if you can do it with a buddy, the two of you with a pencil and note pad each.

After that's done, go back and tell the dealer what you heard.

Tell us too.

Maybe have your buddy switch the cables without letting you know which ones are being auditioned?
Don't forget to include your own cables in the mix too.

Let us know what you uncover.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 am 

vwea wrote:
Hi everyone, just finished putting together the system i plan to keep to keep for a while. I have been looking into the next small step to improve audio through quality cables. My hifi dealer lent me a few to take home and try. They are Audioquest Big Sur and Audioquest Sydney. Any thoughts on these cables? Thanks for the input :)

Kinda tough to pontificate without knowing just what makes up your system; including inter alia, the price point of your system; the synergies with your hardware; and the other synergies with your speaker cables and power cables.

Without any intention to sensationalize the obvious or trivialize the important, three points to consider:

-- the synergy(ies) of the new ones with your hardware, speaker cables, and power cables. This is derived solely from actual testing and experimentation (either at the dealer or at home ) - One size does NOT fit all. There is no substitute for this.
-- It is well-travelled rule of thumb that cables (ALL your cables .... ) should make up approx 10% of your overall budget.
-- The personal opinions you are asking for from the CAM bloggers is heavily biased and needs to be discounted because they lack your system themselves. Their experiences and opinions -- however noble or otherwise -- will have little basis for support other than a blind guess.

IMO the first point is where you start.

What are your ears telling you? Consider swapping in better cables at the dealer and auditioned on his kit and see what is the result. Can you also demo these at home? (preferred).

We just went through a recent lengthy and overcooked blog about speakers cables upgrading. The general principles are there:

(a) higher resolution kit demands a higher grade cable for peak performance.
(b) This is a constant tension between price/quality and your budget.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 am 

vwea wrote:

If you just finished putting it together, and by that you mean you just bought a brand new system, I would say before you make any move start by listening to your system as it is in order to familiarize yourself to it and mostly to let it burn-in and settle. In maybe three months or so from now you can start analyzing how it may be improved, while in the mean time you can do your cable analysis at the dealer's first to have an idea of where you are going. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:03 am 

gandalph wrote:
vwea wrote:

If you just finished putting it together, and by that you mean you just bought a brand new system, I would say before you make any move start by listening to your system as it is in order to familiarize yourself to it and mostly to let it burn-in and settle. In maybe three months or so from now you can start analyzing how it may be improved, while in the mean time you can do your cable analysis at the dealer's first to have an idea of where you are going. Good luck.

-------------------
+ 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 am 

rednecknber wrote:
zhenya01 wrote:
rednecknber wrote:

i

what ever bud just saying the diamondback and king cobra are better than the ones from what the dealer gave him now go back and listen to your sony walkman

That's the actual dealer's response to a valid comment?!. Have you read 'what's wrong with this industry' thread recently by any chance? Wow, just wow.