Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Which new turntable
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:42 am 

Ok, been a little bored. Saw London drugs selling new lp's in their electronics dept, so I figured I should add a turntable to my system. Note. I do not own a single lp currently. My dilemma is whether to go entry level like the project carbon or rega rp1, both around the $500 mark, or just bite the bullet and pick up the clear audio concept with moving coil cartridge for around 2k. I haven't used vinyl since the early 80s., last Turntable being a dual 1228.
I want a player that will complement my current system.

Here's what I have now. Martin Logan electro motion speakers
Rel sub
PrimaLuna Dialogue 2 integrated tube amp ( running kt120s)
Cambridge audio BD 751 as my main digital source.

I know that if I get either the project carbon or the rega rp1, I shouldn't have any problem reselling them if I want to upgrade. Just wondering if the clear audio concept would be easy to resell ( without losing too much) in case I really enjoy spinning vinyl and want to upgrade it.

Aesthetics are important. I kind of prefer the looks of the project carbon over the utilitarian looks of the clear audio, but I'm sure the clear audio will sound much better.

Post subject: Re: Which new turntable
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:07 am 

I was in your same position about a year ago.I bit the bullet and skipped entry level.I think that you will require something more than entry level to capture great anolog sound, you won't feel the love at entry level.I always look at where I want to be down the road and then go for that.Once you hear good vinyl reproduction, your cdp will be a paper weight.

I would look at the classifieds on cam for a turntable, your $2000 then would really work for you.Spend the 2K on a used TT.May I suggest looking at a VPI Classic 1 as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 am 

Given the fact you have no LP's I'd buy a nice new Rega RP-1 or if you don't have a problem buying used find a Linn Axis.
I'd use the money you saved (not buying the 2K TT) to start buying music. While the 2K table may sound wonderful it would drive me crazy to listen to the same few records over and over.
More music is never a bad thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:42 am 

I would go halfway and get an RP3 or whatever VPI has at a similar price point. You have a nice system, a better source will be more rewarding.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

I would agree that with your system you would not be giving vinyl a fair shot with an entry table. I would look at the new VPI Traveler as a great starting point for a new table. A few hundred more than the RP3 but worth the extra money. The Clearaudio Concept with Coil is another excellent choice and they are the 2 tables that I have on my floor as my favorites in the $2k club with cartridge. If interested pm me as we do have demo's of both tables on hand as well as a couple of VPI / Rega trades coming in. - Jody aka Floyd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:51 am 

+1 on the VPI Traveller.

Glenn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:54 am 

+1 on a used TT. That way, if it's not for you, you can resell it with a minimal loss. OTOH, if you buy new, you're hosed when you resell it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 am 

Op, you should take a few minutes and read this recent thread. Many mixed views and some of this would apply to your situation.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=27348

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:39 am 

Buy used, locally. If the vinyl thing is for you, then audition better tables and cartridges. I was you a couple years ago, started with Sansui SR636 and ended up with VPI Classic/DV20X2L. Just keep in mind, there is a lot of little things that add up such as cleaners, record cleaning machine, brushes, phono stages and the records. It takes a lot more time and effort than the silver disk, but when set up, can be very good, much better than your Cambridge! Good luck, and if I recall, there is a huge vinyl store in Langley worth checking out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 am 

I bought a RP1 (with Ortofon 2M RED cartridge) a few months ago because I wanted to get back into vinyl. It took 5 minutes to set-up, didn't cost me too much and boy does it ever sound great. I am now thinking of upgrading to RP3 or RP6.

Vinyl doesn't have to be complicated!

PS I bought the 2M RED instead of the performance package as recommended by the dealer (Claude the owner of Son Ideal in Montreal). My brother bought the RP1 with the regular cartridge and it does make a big difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:23 am 

Burgerchow wrote:
Ok, been a little bored. Saw London drugs selling new lp's in their electronics dept, so I figured I should add a turntable to my system. Note. I do not own a single lp currently. My dilemma is whether to go entry level like the project carbon or rega rp1, both around the $500 mark, or just bite the bullet and pick up the clear audio concept with moving coil cartridge for around 2k. I haven't used vinyl since the early 80s., last Turntable being a dual 1228.
I want a player that will complement my current system.

Here's what I have now. Martin Logan electro motion speakers
Rel sub
PrimaLuna Dialogue 2 integrated tube amp ( running kt120s)
Cambridge audio BD 751 as my main digital source.

I know that if I get either the project carbon or the rega rp1, I shouldn't have any problem reselling them if I want to upgrade. Just wondering if the clear audio concept would be easy to resell ( without losing too much) in case I really enjoy spinning vinyl and want to upgrade it.

Aesthetics are important. I kind of prefer the looks of the project carbon over the utilitarian looks of the clear audio, but I'm sure the clear audio will sound much better.

J.A. Michell Gyrodeck rega arm dynavector 10x5-- about $3k looks great you may never have to upgrade. Holds its value if you decide to get out of vinyl down the road. Can upgrade arm, cartridge and platter down the road if you like, this table will grow with your system instead of dumping it later and buying something else.
Did I mention they look really interesting?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 am 

+1 on purchasing an entry-level (or near entry level) Pro-Ject or Rega table. A couple of friends/collegues have started into vinyl via this route...and I have to say that I am impressed with the capabilities of these tables right out of the box. Once you ultimately determine if vinyl is a road you want to walk further down, you still have lots of options available. There's a whole sub-industry that focuses on hod-rodding Rega tables, be it power supplies, tone arm upgrades, replacement platters/subplatters, etc. The upgrades can be done progressively, as your budget/eagerness permits. Alternatively, there's always a strong market for used entry level TT's. I doubt you would have any trouble selling one for a fair price, should you decide to upgrade to a completely different machine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:53 am 

What if entry level sounds terrible to you? Maybe an entry level table is just not good enough to make the "go/no go" decision?

MENDEL24 actually has a darn good idea. At least you will know that the table is not the issue!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 am 

Erik wrote:
What if entry level sounds terrible to you? Maybe an entry level table is just not good enough to make the "go/no go" decision?

MENDEL24 actually has a darn good idea. At least you will know that the table is not the issue!

Entry level= waste of money down the road. If the OP was into "entry level" he would not be posting here. Entry level won't be good enough to give vinyl a fair chance.
Go big or go home I say.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 am 

About a year ago i got back into vynil after a 20 year hiatus. Went with a TTWeights turntable and been smiling ever since ! Beyond 1st rate quality and will definately be my last turntable i"ll ever need to buy. Great service and fast comunication. From zero to 200 lp"s and counting lol. 4 hour listening sessions with eaze as time seems to just fly by while listening to vynil bliss Cheers D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next