Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ottawa Audiophiles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:29 pm 

As a resident of the GTA, I've noticed (both on CAM and on Kijiji), that there is a lot of good equipment for sale in the Ottawa area...more of what I'm interested in anyway, than here in the GTA.

For instance, the best source for Tannoy speakers seems to be in the Ottawa area. There are other examples of speakers and electronics- too numerous to mention. So is it the relatively high income of the area, coupled with the fact that a lot of high tech employees who appreciate good hi fi live there, or ex-Brits there.....or what?

Post subject: Re: Ottawa Audiophiles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
Premium User

I'm gonna go with the "or what".

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 pm 

Our tax dollars at work (play?)..... :mrgreen:

But seriously,

Didn't they once assemble Tannoy's in Ottawa?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 pm 

The NRC is in Ottawa which basically gave us our speaker industry plus lots of engineers and tech types with professional incomes who can afford good Hifi.

Another major high end hub is the Niagara penninsula. Or certainly was when I lived there. No doubt because of all the great dealers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm 

I have been told that there were a lot of expat Brits here who kept Bleeker busy selling Tannoys in the postwar years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:53 am 

I must say I have done searches on Cam, kijiji and UsedOttawa...and Ottawa has it all. I bought all my HPD tannoys here, my Yamaha amps ,some good used Vinyl..etc. It seems that everything is here you just have to wait for it and it shows up . Also doing searches on the Montreal area comes in handy as its only 90 mins from Ottawa. Sooner or later what your looking for shows up here...Even the odd classic sports car. So many Govt employees retire each year year here in Ottawa and they start downsizing, unloading thier old vintage stuff from the basements and attics...There are always good deals to be made . I got my speakers this way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:50 am 

I always thought the audiophile community in Ottawa was pretty thin compared to big cities like Toronto or Montreal. Yes i have met government people that have as good audio equipment as anyone's but on average i think Ottawa is far from a good audiophile city.

Last edited by dungvn on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:09 am 

dungvn wrote:
I always thought the audiophile community in Ottawa was pretty thin compared to big cities like Toronto or Montreal. Yes i have met government people that have as good audio eqiupmemt as anyone's but on average i think Ottawa is far from a good audiophile city.

I agree, most of the audio equipment here is main stream Lots of Bose and such. I have never seen any really interesting gear up for sale on this site from this city. The only exception was a BAT pre amp which I bought. Even Bryston amps are difficult to come by used here. And yet in Toronto they are ubiquitous. Even close to local stuff, like Simaudio or Classe, is more plentiful south of here. I think every single serious audio listener in Ottawa is on this site, which in the big picture is rather few.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:16 am 

The only true audiophile that I've ever met in Ottawa, I ended up marrying. She tells her friends that we renovated the main level of our house in order to accommodate the audio equipment. I live in an upside down world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:12 am 

Paul in Ottawa wrote:
The only true audiophile that I've ever met in Ottawa, I ended up marrying. She tells her friends that we renovated the main level of our house in order to accommodate the audio equipment. I live in an upside down world.

At least your world is right side up! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:33 am 

ugly-dougly wrote:
As a resident of the GTA, I've noticed (both on CAM and on Kijiji), that there is a lot of good equipment for sale in the Ottawa area...more of what I'm interested in anyway, than here in the GTA.

For instance, the best source for Tannoy speakers seems to be in the Ottawa area.

The Grass is Not Greener.

When I end up buying or selling a piece of audio gear - that nearly always means a trip to the GTA or sometimes Montreal.
Even Kingston over Ottawa.

Audio is a very tough market in Ottawa - the box stores have pretty well knocked everything out.

As Skippy and Mike pointed out - when audio was at its peak in the 1970's Bleekers used to sell Tannoys, Teac R to R machines and Thorens TT's.
Now they sell appliances but make their income from mall rental space

Last edited by Uunderhill on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 am 

Keep this on topic please

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:55 am 

For such a "small" city, I DO indeed feel that Ottawa has a pretty good audiophile scene. There's at least 5 or 6 decent audiophile-type retail stores, or stores that sell at least some high-end gear:

Planet Of Sound
Distinctive Audio
Stereo Passion
Audioshop
Stereo Plus & Design
The Listening Room (haven't been here yet)

I even found it pretty easy to start up my own little audiophile club.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:44 am 

jkarwa wrote:
For such a "small" city, I DO indeed feel that Ottawa has a pretty good audiophile scene. There's at least 5 or 6 decent audiophile-type retail stores, or stores that sell at least some high-end gear:

Planet Of Sound
Distinctive Audio
Stereo Passion
Audioshop
Stereo Plus & Design
The Listening Room (haven't been here yet)

I even found it pretty easy to start up my own little audiophile club.

That is quite a few independent shops for a city that size. Look, for example, at a city like Hamilton which is approximately the same population base as Ottawa. I can only think of two dedicated independent audio stores in the Hamilton area, those being Alternative Audio, and Locke Street Audio. Even if you ad the adjacent city of Burlington to the mix,which now brings the total populace of the area to well beyond Ottawa's there is only one more store, that being Fairview Electronics. I intentionally left out East Hamilton Radio as I don't feel that they meet the criteria for an independent audio store. I know some of this is the result of Hamilton and Burlington's proximaty to the GTA but look at a city like London which is also fairly large and well away from the influence of the GTA, and they only have two dedicated audio shops that I can think of, London Audio, and Target Hi-fi. To be completely honest, when I read through the forums and the classifieds, I have always thought to myself that there appears to be a larger proportion of audiophiles from the Ottawa area registered on CAM in comparison to other communities or areas of equal or similar population base.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:01 am 

There is an easy way to test this. In the search page for CAM, I entered the postal code for Toronto City Hall (M5H 2N2) and searched for a 25km radius. This yielded 500 postings on CAM, which means it maxed out (ie. > 500 items for sale - or want ads - within a 25km radius of Toronto City Hall).

The same thing for Ottawa City Hall (K1P 1J1) yielded 231 items. Expanding this to 100 km from Ottawa City Hall yielded 260 items.

Seems to be at least twice as many items for sale within a 25km radius from Toronto City Hall than there is within a 100km radius of Ottawa City Hall.