Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:20 pm 

First let me first say that myself and my brother had a blast talking, listening to the various setups. We were probably cracking jokes a little more than most "serious" audiophiles were comfortable with, but hey, everyone was having a great time.

Reading so much online, we both knew all the makes and models and specs(way more than we should) but until we listened to certain systems did we really hear if a product is engineered well, or just good marketing(or both).
Some rooms were just plaine aweful, while others were amazing. So much so that we came back for a second listen. Yes, its all a matter of opinion, but when 6 people ask for business cards in a matter of 20 minutes, you know its good!

I wont mention the bad ones, but i will mention the good ones. 3 stood out for both me and my brother. ( this was based on bringing our own CD's)

Blueberry Hill Audio was one of the most dynamic presentations, with crazy realism, and bass that was moving air in the room. Very cool.

Planet of Sound had Audiolab DAC & Harbeth speakers that had a truly incredible soundstage that went beyond the speakers. The room was fairly large and the speakers positioned properly, which helped, but man are those beautiful sounding speakers!

The new PMC Twenty Four speakers we shockingly good. They did everything so well.

The Cary/Magnapan was one of the best rooms we heard. Very clear, nutreal, yet musical. If you have the space, those maggies are the best value by far, it makes cone speakers sound vintage.
Also, so tempted buy all the great prices on show specials,
Anyway, def going again next year. Next year, there needs to be a swap meet room!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:39 pm 

+1 for the Planet of Sound set up.....that Audiolab DAC is one that should be checked out by anyone in the market, given its sound quality and under a $1,000 price tag........

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:55 pm 

Hi guy's glad you enjoyed the show that means whe should see you there again in 2013 by the way the show was not bigger this year BUT nore was it smaller. :) :) :D

T.A.V.E.S. = 2011 67 Exibitors 2 Floors

T.A.V.E.S. = 2012 67 Exibitors 3 Floors

This is the reason that it wasn't as crowded as last year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:22 pm 

That Audiolab DAC is one thing I will be purchasing soon. They were running Amara on a macbook via USB into it.

I forgot to mention Living Voice speakers in the Sonic Artistry Room playing vinyl. Very small room, but still was a treat playing classical music.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:38 pm 

re_curly81 wrote:
That Audiolab DAC is one thing I will be purchasing soon. They were running Amara on a macbook via USB into it.

I forgot to mention Living Voice speakers in the Sonic Artistry Room playing vinyl. Very small room, but still was a treat playing classical music.

I've gotta agree with you there. I have the Audiolab 8200CD, had it for about 6 months. It's smashed every DAC I've compared it to, including the Bryston DAC (surprise) and the Rega DAC (no big surprise). Very, very good DAC.

Are you talking about the 8200CD or the MDac?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:51 pm 

dmitchell wrote:
re_curly81 wrote:

I've gotta agree with you there. I have the Audiolab 8200CD, had it for about 6 months. It's smashed every DAC I've compared it to, including the Bryston DAC (surprise) and the Rega DAC (no big surprise). Very, very good DAC.

have you tried any cambridge audio dac's? I'm wondering how they compare to audiolab, if it's worth swapping for my 740c player/dac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:58 pm 

SonicDroff wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
re_curly81 wrote:

have you tried any cambridge audio dac's? I'm wondering how they compare to audiolab, if it's worth swapping for my 740c player/dac

Yes, and no. The DACMagic is no comparison the 740C. The 740C is better.

I've owned the 840C and the Audiolab is a good deal better. If you like your music "processed" and "digital" sounding, the 840C is for you. If you prefer you music to sound natural the Audiolab is your choice.

And this is coming from a big Cambridge fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm 

dmitchell wrote:
re_curly81 wrote:

The 8200MDAC, which was on display and playing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 pm 

OK, so the MDAC it is.