Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:00 pm 

Hi all, 1st time poster. I read a lot in the last few days about Energy Pro 22 speakers. I got one pair donated, with blown (and thrown to trash) tweeter of course. I'm looking for replacement since I found out that the guy in NS does'nt rebuild/repair them now.

The best suggestions I saw were too vague to really help me. I saw stuff about Vifa double ring but no models. They kinda have a couple and I don't wanna spend more than necessary.

Also, I saw Fazman suggestion on Dayton Audio RS28F-4 which seems a good fit initially (they can go low enough and sensivity seems about right), but he mentioned that the crossover would need minor modification. If I could get just a tad more info, it would help me a lot. Whats need to be done? An L-pad to attenuate? Adjust the caps/coil value for the new tweeter impedance?

I could not find the specs for the original tweeter (like most people i guess) so it's hard to compare them to the Dayton or Vifa.

I'm really sorry if this as been discussed already, I searched for the last week (I promise!) on this and did'nt find anything specific enough for my knowledge. And now that rebuilding is no longer a solution, I really hope I can find an alternative tweeter.

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:31 pm 

:mrgreen:

Last edited by hotpants16 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm 

i suggest that the op keep an eye out here and other sites for the tweeters and that he doesnt have to limit himself to actual energy pro 22 , should look for sound dynamics too

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:05 am 

Have you contacted Vancouver Audio speaker Clinic?

http://vancouveraudiospeakerclinic.com/API.html

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 am 

[Edit by Mod - removed quoted text]

-- 29 Aug 2012 10:53 --

AudiOhm wrote:
Have you contacted Vancouver Audio speaker Clinic?

http://vancouveraudiospeakerclinic.com/API.html

Regards
Ohms

Thanks, will take a look at this too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:35 am 

Robzz wrote:

Wow, I knew my english was'nt perfect but I still thought my post was mostly clear. If someone was kind enough to point my mistake because I really don't understand the above answer to my post.

Kindly.

Welcome to CAM. Your post made perfect sense. Mr. Hotpants on the other hand!?!? :roll:

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 am 

Yes, Mr. Hotpants16 has dumped a bit of garbage on a couple threads I have read this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:09 pm 

There was a guy in Victoria BC that sold DIY speaker parts. He sold Energy Pro 22 speaker spearker kits/parts. He is still in Victoria, but he is no longer in buisness. Maybe if you do your research, you might be able to get ahold of him. He had mountains of parts!! I would not be surprised if he has a pair of tweeters. His buisness was at the same location that "Ralphs Radio" currently is.

Good luck...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:14 pm 

Thanks to all who helped, but my target would be to have non-original tweeters. It'll be less time consuming and anyway I never heard them so I don't really miss the original. My goal is simply to have something good in it's place. If anyone experimented anything, I'd be happy to have the details.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 pm 

Hey Robzz.

I have heard that the tweeters from Sound Dynamics speakers, like my 15S (and that entire line), as well as the CM and SMT lines, are a good "drop-in" fit cosmetically and don't require a re-working of the crossover.

I have a spare pair that I am hanging onto, but since they are loose I could take measurements for you tomorrow and you could at least know if they are a good physical fit.

As for functionally maybe someone who has used a pair of SD tweeters in an Energy 22 model can jump in and let us know how it went.

Good luck!

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm 

Robzz wrote:
Thanks to all who helped, but my target would be to have non-original tweeters. It'll be less time consuming and anyway I never heard them so I don't really miss the original. My goal is simply to have something good in it's place. If anyone experimented anything, I'd be happy to have the details.

The problem your going to run into is the low crossover point. The Dual Hyperdomes can handle the crossover point and few others can.

The list of tweeters that will fry in minutes or months is very long. The Sound Dynamics horn loaded tweeter worked for some because it could take the crossover point. The 22's are special and I have owned every version and still have piles of drivers and tweeter that I use in far different active arrangements. I keep them crossed over far higher and can play them very hard.

Marc mc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 pm 

Quote:
The Dual Hyperdomes can handle the crossover point and few others can.

Hey marc mc, my crossover point is 2.0 kHz. What were some of the crossover points of Energy 22 models that employed the dual-hyperdome tweeter/midrange?

Allen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 pm 

hello,

apologizes for what you think is dumped garbage. i understood the question in the post.
i just thought that Chris was sourcing material in order to open up again in the future, i
wasn't aware that this is not the case. i, like others are waiting for a rebuild of my 22's.

i will be unable to assist in the selection of replacements for the hyperdomes, i wish you
good luck and success. the pro's here are very knowledgeable and i'm certain you will find
a suitable alternative.

i have spoken with the gentlemen at vancouver speaker repair and they've said that they
need to have a diagnosis of the tweeters before their able to say if a fix is possible. but i
thank you for the info all the same.

has anyone had their 22 tweeters repaired at vancouver speaker? is this the best option
now that abi is no longer going to reopen?

cheers!

ian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:42 pm 

370lbgorilla wrote:
Hey Robzz.

I have heard that the tweeters from Sound Dynamics speakers, like my 15S (and that entire line), as well as the CM and SMT lines, are a good "drop-in" fit cosmetically and don't require a re-working of the crossover.

I have a spare pair that I am hanging onto, but since they are loose I could take measurements for you tomorrow and you could at least know if they are a good physical fit.

As for functionally maybe someone who has used a pair of SD tweeters in an Energy 22 model can jump in and let us know how it went.

Good luck!

Allen

Yeah I saw that he 22's have some "features" not found elsewhere. For the cosmetic part, I have no problem doing an MDF adapter or stuff like that. It's really more on the part itself I need some advise.

I was hoping some people that actually did try some tweeters could chime in and give their feedback as to which part was a good fit (like you did).

I saw those Dayton https://www.solen.ca/pdf/dayton/DC28FT-8.pdf that seemed a good fit specs wise. 1.3 Khz would mean they could handle the low Xover point and 8 ohm is similar to the OEM IIRC. Anyone wanna comment on these?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:54 pm 

I suspect tweeters from an IMAGE CONCEPT 100 or 200 would be a good match.