Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 am 

Hello fellow Canucks,

Does anybody know if Chris Coote from http://www.abitech.ca is still repairing Energy 22 tweeters?
I contacted him back in August to have my tweeters restored. He told me he'd be available back in October. 4 months later now, I still haven't heard from him.
I am not trying to make bad press about his service, but I've been out of speakers for the last 7 months and before sending these speaker to the trash or butcher some new third party tweeters in them, I'd really appreciate to know if someone else had any success in getting in touch with him in the last few months.

Thanks for the info,
Marc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 am 
Premium User

kymoz wrote:
Hello fellow Canucks,

Does anybody know if Chris Coote from http://www.abitech.ca is still repairing Energy 22 tweeters?
I contacted him back in August to have my tweeters restored. He told me he'd be available back in October. 4 months later now, I still haven't heard from him.
I am not trying to make bad press about his service, but I've been out of speakers for the last 7 months and before sending these speaker to the trash or butcher some new third party tweeters in them, I'd really appreciate to know if someone else had any success in getting in touch with him in the last few months.

Thanks for the info,
Marc

I believe that they closed up shop a while back. There was a thread on this last fall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:42 pm 

OBI56,

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.
However, before posting this I tried to find this kind of information on the board but "coote" or "abitech" yielded no result... Plus, the website is still up.
Anyone has a 100% certain confirmation of this closure?

Thanks,
Marc

-- 11 Feb 2012 23:50 --

Alharcourt,
Thanks for the PM (I couldn't reply because it seems I'm too new here to use this feature), I'll try your suggestion!
Marc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:35 pm 
Premium User

kymoz wrote:
OBI56,

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.
However, before posting this I tried to find this kind of information on the board but "coote" or "abitech" yielded no result... Plus, the website is still up.
Anyone has a 100% certain confirmation of this closure?

Thanks,
Marc

-- 11 Feb 2012 23:50 --

Alharcourt,
Thanks for the PM (I couldn't reply because it seems I'm too new here to use this feature), I'll try your suggestion!
Marc

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... ce#p319339

Phone number is out of service.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:05 pm 

Has anyone ever got them repaired at the Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic? According to their website they do have a "technique" for the 22 tweets

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 pm 

kymoz wrote:
Hello fellow Canucks,

Thanks for the info,
Marc

I have tried to contact him as well. I have had no luck. I heard there is a guy in Toronto and I found this link for an guy in Vancouver.

http://vancouveraudiospeakerclinic.com/API.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 am 

Many technicians seem to be moving on from vintage audio repair to working for large companies replacing modules in surround sound receivers. There just isn't enough of a market for vintage audio repair however, Frank at The Speaker Shop might be able to help you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:42 am 

Wonder what happened to all the proprietary equipment/parts he used for the tweeter rebuilds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:58 am 

If that is the case, either Energy 22 owners will have to find a suitable replacement once the stock unit packs it in. One CAM., member suggested the Morel ST 1308 as a replacement and he felt it would be a better tweeter than the stock unit. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:49 am 

Whoa! Just checked the pricing on the Morel. That's pretty steep at close to $300 a piece at Madisound.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:32 am 

Yes it is a fair bit. BUT the rebuild was almost 400 bucks for the pair of original '22 tweeters. Besides, I don't see the logic of replacing them with a new pair if they do not perform very well. Does someone know of a suitable replacement? The Morel is almost dead on in the size you would need to fill the cavity left from the original tweeter. And at that price, I sure hope it sounds at least as good, if not better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:11 am 

joe mandel wrote:
Yes it is a fair bit. BUT the rebuild was almost 400 bucks for the pair of original '22 tweeters. Besides, I don't see the logic of replacing them with a new pair if they do not perform very well. Does someone know of a suitable replacement? The Morel is almost dead on in the size you would need to fill the cavity left from the original tweeter. And at that price, I sure hope it sounds at least as good, if not better.

I also heard about this Morel. Obvious replacement is the Sound Dynamics Horn Tweeters, exact size and also built by API.

Driving home one day, I spotted a pair of speakers in the back alley leading to my garage, so I stopped and took a look. Sears branded 2 tweeters/midranges and a 12" woofer per cabinet, nothing fancy and pretty rough so left them and kept going. As I sit down in the living room, and look at my Ref Conns, I thought about those speakers in the alley, the tweeter/midranges had a pretty big footprint. So back to the truck and down the alley I go. Get home take them out and they are almost an exact fit. Tried them out in a pair of regular 22's and they were pretty good, bit bright but quite detailed. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking, they could do the trick. Here is a link I found online. They are Foster 035N03-16. Best part about it you get four if you find a pair :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-Vintage-Foster-Tweeters-035N03-16-D035N13-/220831663999?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item336a97c77f

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:30 am 

When you were in the alley, did you meet "Sally"? Thats a nice cheap set of spare tweeters you found. Still, I would love to know more about that Morel tweeter, if any CAM members have any exp., with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:53 am 

Too bad Coote is no longer in "the business" - not like it was a moneymaker anyway I expect. His site is still up so hopefully someone hears from him in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25 am 

Dayton Reference Silkie.... There's your replacement!
Some slight crossover mods need to be done. (nothing major) But it will more than do the trick. Can cleanly go low in frequency like few can... including the original hyperdome.
You will need to modify the original Hyperdome faceplate so that this tweeter can "sit" into it. It has a thin enough metal face that this procedure will not cause diffraction issues.
I did a pair of Reference Conns with this mod. I sold them not too long after but I remember them sounding wonderful. Very detailed, smooth, non fatiguing.

If I can remember the mods I will post them here. You'll have to give me a bit though.

Here's the link to the tweeter at parts express. You can also find it at Solen in Quebec.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=275-140