Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Realistic Optimus 5b
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:43 am 

Picked up a pair of these the other day. Was reading about econowave speaker project on AK and was looking for "large speakers" on Kijiji and came across these speakers. Knowing my T100 were no slouch, I picked these up as a little incentive to finishing my assignments. The seller had them out, and they look brand new. The faintest ring on top of one, but otherwise like new. I read about the 8b/5b crossover mod on AK, and it sounds pretty cool, and a good DIY project to try. I think these are too nice to econowave. And the crossover mod is reversible. Otherwise these look like they just came from Radio Shack :D but I will put more and better pics when my work is done and I get to hook these up. I am not sure what to use on the ring. Maybe that furniture restorer? Or just another coat of oil?

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307141

Sorry for the crummy pic.... it was still in my car :lol:

Attachments:
IMAG0501.jpg
IMAG0501.jpg [ 525.18 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]

Post subject: Re: Realistic Optimus 5b
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:57 am 

We gotta love a guy who is horny enough about a pickup to post cartrunk photos!!

Well done Mort!!

Buys Mort a beer!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:22 pm 

Of course I'm horny! This is my first 3-way! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:20 am 

mortron wrote:

They aren't even real 3 ways Mort. 3 identical midrange/tweeters with 2 of them having the highs filtered out. Weird design, but it worked well enough for them to win an award from 1 of the magazines back then. Far from ny favorite Radio Shack speaker back then.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:35 am 

OBI56 wrote:
They aren't even real 3 ways Mort. 3 identical midrange/tweeters with 2 of them having the highs filtered out. Weird design, but it worked well enough for them to win an award from 1 of the magazines back then.
I'll say....the whole point of using a mid driver is to have a lower Fs below the woofer xover frequency. These must have a really high xover point for a 12" woofer....or do they have one at all?

~ Clarke's 3rd Law

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:11 pm 

Well there is a really good reason that except for BOSE (and we know it is crap) that every single speaker company on earth stopped using cone tweeters in the late 70z
and the reason is they aren't all that good when compared to a dome and have limited dispersion .
I think it looks like a 4 driver 2 way not a 3 way
Hopefully you didn't pay too much for them

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:15 pm 

How do they sound? :?:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:11 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
mortron wrote:

They aren't even real 3 ways Mort. 3 identical midrange/tweeters with 2 of them having the highs filtered out. Weird design, but it worked well enough for them to win an award from 1 of the magazines back then. Far from ny favorite Radio Shack speaker back then.

The 2 for the mids have larger magnets and are marked midrange and the top one is marked tweeter on the rear.(if my memory serves)

Great sounding speakers for what they are.

marc mc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 pm 

Thanks for the ray of sunshine Marc!

We need more of these.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:25 pm 

marc mc wrote:
The 2 for the mids have larger magnets and are marked midrange and the top one is marked tweeter on the rear.(if my memory serves)

marc mc

I believe that they are actually all the same part number, but they are labeled differently? There is some discussion on the AK thread about this. When my school work is done, I shall tinker. Till then, they shall sit in silence :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:41 pm 

mortron wrote:
marc mc wrote:

marc mc

I believe that they are actually all the same part number, but they are labeled differently? There is some discussion on the AK thread about this. When my school work is done, I shall tinker. Till then, they shall sit in silence :mrgreen:

The 5 and the 5B differed in this respect. One model used 3 identical drivers, the other used 2 drivers with the larger magnets and one with a smaller one. This is all going from memory from over 30 years ago mind you, on a pair of speakers that I didn't particularly care for at the time and that we rarely serviced, partly because there were other, far more popular models in the lineup (the Optimus 1, 10 and T-100) that I took more notice of.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:49 pm 

I shouldn't have spoken so fast. According to the original photos by the OP on the AK thread, the tweeter and mid in the Nova 8b (which is apparently the same drivers as the 5b) does show the tweeter to be a different part number. I won't be certain until I get time to open them up. Apparently the grill and crossover were the only difference between the Nova 8b and the Optimus 5b. I just happened upon that crossover redesign and it looked interesting. As I had said, I just wanted to Econowave them. Maybe I will still one day. But I figured the crossover mod would be reversible. I think this chart I attached is the freq response of one with the redesigned crossover, taken by the OP of the AK thread... does it look decent, or? They do indeed look to be nice, visually at the moment tho, as the gentleman who owned these seemed to have taken amazing care of them.

-- 01 Dec 2011 23:39 --

So I finished up all my assignments, got home, tending to cleaning the aftermath of a leaky basement floor, and got to hooking these up...

Plugged them in, pointed them at my chair, and hit play. What a let down :( just dry and lacking for me. I played with the toe angle. Sat back down... Sizzle! Too much treble and a bit harsh. Hit the attenuation switch for the tweeters, and it sounded a bit better. So I sat down began to listen. The mids definitely are more audible than my Boston Acoustic A100. The bottom end is a bit fuller without being sloppy, but the tweeters are still a bit harsh IMO.Thereby definitely more definition to the guitars and vocals in the midrange over the Boston. But again, the tweeters...

The imaging of these is a messed up process. Such a tiny sweet spot and as soon as you move off axis even 6", its as if the tweeter went dead. I guess the crossover mod on AK primarily addresses that issue.

Now that I have sat with them, I find them to be impressive enough that they are not necessarily a step back from my other speakers. Just a step sideways.

-- 02 Dec 2011 00:30 --

So I finished up all my assignments, got home, tending to cleaning the aftermath of a leaky basement floor, and got to hooking these up...

Plugged them in, pointed them at my chair, and hit play. What a let down :( just dry and lacking for me. I removed the grills and played with the toe angle. Sat back down... Sizzle! Too much treble and a bit harsh. Hit the attenuation switch for the tweeters, and it sounded much better. So I sat down began to listen. The miss definitely are more audible than my Boston Acoustic A100. The bottom end is a bit fuller without being sloppy, but the tweeters are still a bit harsh IMO.Thereby definitely more definition to the guitars and vocals in the midrange over the Boston. But again, the tweeters...

The imaging of these is a messed up process. Such a tiny sweet spot and as soon as you move off axis even 6", its as if the tweeter went dead. I guess the crossover mod on AK primarily addresses that issue.

Now that I have sat with them, I find them to be impressive enough that they are not necessarily a step back from my other speakers. Just a step sideways.

-- 13 Jan 2012 18:23 --

I actually enjoy these speakers now, as I have gotten them set up and they play quite well. Unfortunately I am outta room, and they must go. Good thing I didnt' get too deep into them with crossover or econowaving them :lol:

Attachments:
IMAG0507.jpg
IMAG0507.jpg [ 884.96 KiB | Viewed 1443 times ]
FinalSPL.jpg
FinalSPL.jpg [ 92.83 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]