Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:25 pm 
Premium User

I had to send my beloved amp away for some service and decided to go out and get a replacement for the meanwhile as mine will be gone for 2-3 weeks or so.
Anyway, after looking at some cheap inexpensive options I finally settled on this puppy as I needed an amp compatible with Banana binding posts and the option to use either the pre or amp section.
My setup consists of a set of Tannoy Monitor Gold 12's, a Naim CD 5i as well as a Simaudio P-4002.
Well I popped in the Nad and hooked up the Naim just to test it out without running my pre through it and all I can say is that I am floored.......
I've owned my fair share of gear so far and nothing has shocked me like this has. I don't know if it is the price I bought it for ($120) compared to the quality, or the fact that its transparency, imaging, tone and balance just seem to be right. I'm currently sitting hear just shocked. It brings me to beg the question, just how much does one need to spend to have a lifelike and impressive setup?
This unit has 20 wc and the bass is quick, defined, deep and hits with authority. The mids are not as pure as I have owned but what the heck they are literally 85% of the way there. The highs are clean, and I mean clean with no hint of harshness or brightness.
The cymbals are lacking just a little bit in refinement but the overall enjoyment of this little wonder is shocking.
Does anyone else have the same opinion of switching in a low cost option for a period into their own system and have found the same conclusion as I have? If so what piece was it?
Now I understand that this 3020 is somewhat of an icon in the british fidelity realm but honestly I was not prepared for what I am hearing.
Off the top of my mind I prefer this over the Audio Refinement Complete, the YBA Integre, Cambridge Audio 640 v2, and a number of high cost separates that I have owned. The music is just pouring out of this thing!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 pm 

I never heard a 3020 reviewed so well, except from another Tannoy owner.

Nice match!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:35 pm 

I've had a NAD set up as one of my systems for a loooong time. I think NAD is a great choice for relatively un-coloured sound (generally flat freq response), great dynamics, and good bass control.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 pm 

I owned the 3020 when it first came out in the 80's. At the time put pretty much everything to shame at it's price point.

Certainly it can be bettered, but for what it cost (even new) it was killer.

I have no idea how it would compare with current stuff (my recall is about 5 minutes, not 25 years). Apparently pretty well. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:42 pm 
Premium User

Thanks for chiming in gents. I'm currently cycling through as many of my quality discs as I can just trying to immerse myself in its sonic nature. The artists are in the room, the tone just gets better the more it warms up and the sweetness is just becoming more and more apparent with this thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:01 pm 

i had similar experience with my nad 3125 integrated when i 1st heard it it was in friends bedroom hooked up to audiosphere speakers that had 18'' woofer, 2-5'' mids,4-3.5'' bullet tweeters .....well i wasnt impressed by that sound but shortly after i hooked the 3125 to a pair of cheap pioneer speakers that had 15'' woofer,3'' mid , 3/4'' tweeter ( i think the mid n tweeter where those sizes ) but this time it was in larger room ( retail store) 20 x 60x 16 and i was taken by the simplicity yet image, detail,air bass wasnt booming but im not into booming bass anymore . so lately ive been looking for those pioneer speakers hoping to recreate at least somewhat what i heard that day 6 yrs ago

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:15 pm 

I also had a NAD 3020 back in the day. Great amp I paired with Wharfedale Diamonds & 506's. That 3020 could rock the house or delicately render any kind of music. Nice phono stage to boot.8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:50 pm 

Wasn't the NAD 3120 an 'A' rated integrated amp by Stereophile Magazine? Maybe it shared many of the same components?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:05 pm 

Back when I got started in this hobby, this was the 900 lb gorilla of the budget hifi market. It killed off a lot of more expensive stuff and absolutely murdered quite a few mass market receivers. I preferred the refinement of the slightly more expensive Creek and arcam designs but mighty NAD was a giant killer.

Typical budget system was a 3020, budget B&W, Celestion, Kef, JPW speakers and a Dual 505 or Thorens 166. Add music and that was it. Back in the day these systems got all the basics right. So much so that many of us were kind of disappointed in the next level up the hifi chain. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:12 pm 

Also came across one... even versus today many of the budget integrated amp, its still a killer.

Is this 3020 made in Japan?

Anyway, I have replaced with a Accuphase E202... definitely an upgrade... but I still miss the 3020...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:13 pm 

I have certainly not heard a proper 3020 it seems.

I heard 3 of them, in different places and different speakers. Klipch rf85, psb silver i

All 3 were for sale however, and each for different reasons, but none were right.
In fact, as I recall, none had the same issues, so I surely have not heard what the little thing can do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:05 pm 

A buddy had a 3020 with Harbeth monitors and rega P3 back in the day.... the sound from that unit was nothing short of outstanding.

The 3020 is a fabulous reference unit. I imagine that they'd sound pretty stellar with the Energy 22's as well.

Now that's a budget killer system.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 pm 

sounds like fun!
How is the 3020 with cd input voltages?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:15 pm 
Premium User

Unfortunately I don't have a vinyl setup to compare to my cd collection but I have to say that the Naim appears to be a fine match with the Nad.
I plan on hooking up the Sim with the amplifier section of the 3020 next to see if it adds any further separation, imaging, or depth/width to the soundstage next.
That's the thing with this hobby i suppose, limitless possibilities of testing, scrutinizing, tweaking, so forth. But hey, I have the time so I might as well indulge 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm 

Recently I sold my Bryston 3B SST , Anthem TLP 1 ( also had a Bryston BP 20 in same setup ) because I realized that I would never be able to afford the kind of pre that would satisfy me -wanting considerably more tonal colour and body to the sound.
I don't live near any dealers etc. so that also complicated the situation. I decided to buy a new NAD 326BEE as sort of a stop gap measure while I looked for an integrated that I could afford. The NAD had great reviews ( and had the type of sound I was looking for) and I figured it would ba an easy resale
Without going on and on, the NAD is simply too good to be true. It has a nice weighty sound and is detailed and transparent enough that I don't seem to miss anything from my previous system. I'm a long term audiophile and have heard and used systems that are much more expensive. Speakers are PSB Stratus Silver i and the NAD drives them easily in a moderate sized room.
Is there better- of course there is but unless you have relativey expensive speakers the NAD just might suprise the hell out of you.