Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:22 pm 

DCM TIME WINOWS FOR SURE !!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:38 pm 

With the exception of some of the early Altecs (EXCELLENT speakers) I haven't heard most of the ones mentioned, however my favourite vintage speakers would be a stacked pair of Larger Advents. We could crank them to silly levels but when we wanted to actually listen they sounded quite good.
Their sound may be a bit dated now but given the price a stacked pair of the Advents are easy to recommend.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:56 pm 

If you value coherency, superb imaging, and good warmth and musicality look no further than good ole Spica TC 50's. they can be found used for 300-400 dollars or so and are awful tough to beat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:38 pm 

GrantFidelity wrote:
audio4sale wrote:
GrantFidelity wrote:
Beetleman and I did a shoot-out at the Retro Store in Calgary of all the typical Vintage culprits over 2 days, including most of those on OB's list and we settled on the EPI 100 as the clear winner over much more expensive Vintage speakers including some of my favourite Klipsch and JBL. One to add to any Vintage list is anything by Radford and some the Transmission Line designs that followed, IMF comes to mind, none were at the Retro store during our shoot-out.

Cheers,
Ian

......still have and marvel at the sound of our EPI M100......these have offset,and different
tweeters than what I see in pictures of the 100......can you clarify for me???? thanks

No idea, I had never really listened to them before that or since, maybe Beetleman or others will chip in, I think he bought them. We were both pretty surprised with the results, hence my recommendation to be on any frugalphile's vintage list. Glad you are enjoying yours. I usually don't like speakers that aren't mirror imaged (couldn't use them in the studio), so I expect that what we were listening to didn't have the offsets.

Another one I forgot was my just sold Mirage 750's, great sounding and imaging towers and the last model the original team made before things went big business for them.

Cheers,
Ian

I recall back in my Winnipeg days when the EPI100 first came out; it was a very fine speaker, especially for the money. The large, floor standing EPIs (Model 300?) were very impressive and compared favourably with my favourites, the Altec Model 19 and the Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold. Very different character, though. The big EPI was all about pristine accuracy, but were quite inefficient; the Altecs and Tannoys, could rock on 10 Wpc, and excelled in dynamics and, for me, sheer excitement. I preferred, and acquired Tannoys, but for those who had 200 Wpc or more (rare in those days), the big EPIs were superb.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:14 pm 

If were still talking in the op's stated price range I would also include the Altec 14 and 15
speakers as they are 12" and horn set ups with a reasonably decent size cabinet
and with a very little fuss in the placement have a "very effeciant" 96 to 98 db
set up.

Can be had from $450.00 to $750 pr depending on$ spent on foams or
someone doing the new foams...
They can sound great...

All the best Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:32 pm 
Premium User

lesjames wrote:
If were still talking in the op's stated price range...

I must have missed that...could you point out where you saw that to me...?

8)

- Michel de Montaigne'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:04 am 

gouldglen wrote:
If you value coherency, superb imaging, and good warmth and musicality look no further than good ole Spica TC 50's. they can be found used for 300-400 dollars or so and are awful tough to beat.

I strongly second that recommendation. Amazing bit of engineering went into those funky wedge shaped speakers. They do look kinda funky though when sitting on the appropriately (very) tall stands.

I'll add the smaller Meridian M2 & M3 active stand-mounted monitors to the list. Although I respect the LS3/5A with it's similar Kef driver spec, I totally don't get its popularity and the high re-sale prices it commands when compared to the bi-amped Meridians. The Meridians offer a full octave more bass without the mid-bass bump, play louder, and sound much "faster" than the LS3/5A.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:14 am 

Just saw a pair of mirage 750 go for 80 bucks. I so would have grabbed them had my situation been different.

they were nice.

Also, allison 1 and braun 810, 12 whatever. Really liked them

I think i will eventually own a pair of kef 104.2 or 105.2, or b+w 801, just because.

Ian, do you not like Mirage's later offerings? I am very happy with mine (m7si), and probably should add anthing in the m series to this list- i really like that sound, and they are so cheap used.I never heard the m1 but they were supposed to be serious stuff, and now available when they are for a pittance.

I liked the meridian stuff too. ANd Tannoy. Idon't think I've ever heard anything by them i didn't really like, no matter how cheap or expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:59 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

MTB Vince wrote:
gouldglen wrote:

I strongly second that recommendation. Amazing bit of engineering went into those funky wedge shaped speakers. They do look kinda funky though when sitting on the appropriately (very) tall stands.

I'll add the smaller Meridian M2 & M3 active stand-mounted monitors to the list. Although I respect the LS3/5A with it's similar Kef driver spec, I totally don't get its popularity and the high re-sale prices it commands when compared to the bi-amped Meridians. The Meridians offer a full octave more bass without the mid-bass bump, play louder, and sound much "faster" than the LS3/5A.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

It was kind of unfortunate that none of the original LS3/5A versions I have heard actually kept it within the BBC specification, the bass hump never impressed me.

Cheers,
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:17 am 

Don't forget what the LS3/5a was for... it was mounted in sound vans, so it needed to be really small. The bass hump was necessary to create the illusion of bass. Real bass down low would be hard to manage in a mixing van. They were used in the very near field. In small rooms, they are excellent. I large rooms, they sound, well..... small.

I too prefer the meridian M2 or the DCM timewindow in a regular size listening room. But in a small space you can't beat the LS3/5A. Say 8x10 or 10x12 room? The lack of real low bass also makes them great candidates for condo dwellers. In all, there is a lot to like about the LS3/5A, so long as you put them in the right space, and are not going to compare them with something like a Tannoy DMT 215.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:22 am 

alushia...

looked back and don't have a clue where that came from...

Must have been a side affect of my new pain killers :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:

All the best Les

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:24 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

phowell1 wrote:
Just saw a pair of mirage 750 go for 80 bucks. I so would have grabbed them had my situation been different.

they were nice.

Also, allison 1 and braun 810, 12 whatever. Really liked them

I think i will eventually own a pair of kef 104.2 or 105.2, or b+w 801, just because.

Ian, do you not like Mirage's later offerings? I am very happy with mine (m7si), and probably should add anthing in the m series to this list- i really like that sound, and they are so cheap used.I never heard the m1 but they were supposed to be serious stuff, and now available when they are for a pittance.

I liked the meridian stuff too. ANd Tannoy. Idon't think I've ever heard anything by them i didn't really like, no matter how cheap or expensive.

After Mirages's buy out IMO the Mirage's became hit and miss on their offerings, typical of most of the vintage big names that were bought out. If you like yours then that is all that counts, I know lots of people that are quite happy with their new models of vintage speaker brands. The M-1 was at the Retro store at the time, but not for sale as the owner was keeping them, he ran them with his 250 watt/ch tube amp and they sounded very impressive, but they couldn't really be setup right in the room, too much other gear in the way (both front and back), so to me the EPI 100 sounded more coherent and was less that 1/10 the price of the M1.

I would have grabbed the 750's just to hear them, I would take them over the EPI 100, the 750's was the speaker I hung onto the longest out of all my vintage speakers and were my part of my idiot checks when voicing my own speakers. Sold mine in a solid 8/10 condition for $350 to a guy around the corner from my showroom and he is thrilled with them, runs them with one of our tube amps, he works in a local beer factory, so someone I need to keep happy :)

Cheers,
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:43 am 

Erik wrote:
Don't forget what the LS3/5a was for... it was mounted in sound vans, so it needed to be really small. The bass hump was necessary to create the illusion of bass. Real bass down low would be hard to manage in a mixing van. They were used in the very near field. In small rooms, they are excellent. I large rooms, they sound, well..... small.

I too prefer the meridian M2 or the DCM timewindow in a regular size listening room. But in a small space you can't beat the LS3/5A. Say 8x10 or 10x12 room? The lack of real low bass also makes them great candidates for condo dwellers. In all, there is a lot to like about the LS3/5A, so long as you put them in the right space, and are not going to compare them with something like a Tannoy DMT 215.

Smaller rooms and near field monitoring was what the smaller Meridian M3 was designed around and in a similarly sized enclosure with a single Kef B110 mid-bass driver just like the LS3/5A. I still stand by my observation that Meridian's active versions of Kef based monitors are superior in all ways to the LS3/5A...

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:56 am 

I kind of like the vocal/speech on the LS3/5a but I can not live with speakers that image small.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:10 am 

I've never heard the m3. Within my realm of experience and the years I lived with them, I've really enjoyed the LS 3/5A.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next