Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:54 pm 

I had been thinking about trying a newer amp (Threshold S/7000e) to replace my current Threshold 400a (with upgraded caps, diodes and RCA connectors). I had found the highs to be a little bright and the bass a little lean at higher levels.

So just for the heck of it, I checked out my Bedini 100/100 1 meg and could find no visible problems with the caps (no bulging or leaks) and nothing looked discolored due to overheating. There was a couple of handfuls of cat fur that managed to get in somehow, even though there are no openings on top. She liked to sleep on top of the amp as it got quite toasty (she's gone now, rip in kitty). So after cleaning out the amp I noticed that one of the RCA input connectors was a little loose so I tightened up the inside nut as well as I could (it is in an awkward spot). I also cleaned the connector with a TPC (The Perfect Connection) cloth that I got from subscribing to Audio Ideas Guide magazine years ago.

Turned on the amp and everything is working perfectly! The midrange sounds more natural, the highs are not as bright/glaring and the bass is fuller. I guess I am going to have to clean the connectors on all of my gear on a regular basis from now on. I almost replaced my favorite amp because of dirty/loose connectors! And I saved $2700 too. Life is good.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:36 pm 

Albert, I just read another similar post on the dead cat forum.

That's wild, man.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:03 pm 

A similar thing happened to me about 6 months ago . I was almost convinced that I was loosing the high frequency in my own hearing and it was driving me crazy . One day I picked up a can of De Oxit Gold treatment and cleaned and treated every IC and RCA . Most IC's are Cardas but were purchased used and had been plugged in for years
The difference this made put a huge smile on my face , all the highs I remembered were back and there was nothing wrong with my hearing

One of 3 things happened here
1 Dirty oxidized IC's where diminishing the high freq's
2 Cleaning them actually improved my own hearing in this range
3 Wishfull thinking , I imagined the whole thing and believed it happened because I wanted it to

Pick your number :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:18 pm 

Poor connections are a major factor on older equipment. If treatment of terminals with a good product doesn't fix it, replace them and don't look back.

PS - Bedini is very good stuff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:31 pm 

Thanks, I really love my Bedini 1 meg. I also have two Bedini 150/150 mkII amps in other systems so I am a real fan. I still like my Threshold 400a and Forte model 3 amps.

Has anyone used a White Audio Labs amp (from the 80's)? They are said to sound very nice and look to have been built quite well with a high bias towards class A (not that I need another amp).