Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:07 pm 

Good day...Re-foamed a set of vintage speakers from the Good ole days...3 ways with 12" woofs...
tested them out this morning in my Garage and Holy Crap...they blew my socks clear across the road...Mrs Hiembuck was not impressed as I had not changed them the day before....I quickly removed the woofs and researched the codes...they are clearly made by Becker in Germany...but I can not find any specs or info at all on these or any of the drivers they supplied...or more importantly who else did they supply....any info would be appreciated
Much obliged
RobT

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:20 pm 

MBGuy wrote:
Good day...Re-foamed a set of vintage speakers from the Good ole days...3 ways with 12" woofs...
tested them out this morning in my Garage and Holy Crap...they blew my socks clear across the road...Mrs Hiembuck was not impressed as I had not changed them the day before....I quickly removed the woofs and researched the codes...they are clearly made by Becker in Germany...but I can not find any specs or info at all on these or any of the drivers they supplied...or more importantly who else did they supply....any info would be appreciated
Much obliged
RobT

Becker is mostly known for their car audio gear, mainly as an OEM supplier to Mercedes Benz back in the 60s and 70s in their pre-Blaupunkt days. Never realized that they also made home audio gear. Were the original surrounds foam which I thought only came into vogue in the late 70s to early 80s or were they treated cloth or paper?

Do you have a picture as I am really curious to see what they look like?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 pm 

OB. You never cease to amaze me man

RE: Becker.

The brand was standard fare in most all pre 1967 Mercedes Benz cars.
Back in the late 70's I owned a 1958 Mercedes 300d Pillarless 4 door Sedan. The car was larger than a comparable Rolls Royce from 58. A Becker Radio [vacuum tubed of course] with a seperate amplifier mounted under the front passenger seat with 4 coaxial speakers in the cabin. Two in the front and two in the rear of the coach.
The speakers were mounted in spheres reminescent of the Gallo globes of today.
Even though it was mono,it was light years more realistic than the majority of the schlock offered back in the late 70's.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:20 pm 

Becker was in the car audio game for quite a while. Supplied the higher-end car stereos for Benz and BMW in the '80s. I still have a Becker Mexico (late model) for my BMW M635CSi. It was the most expensive stereo option in all of the higher end BMWs.

I think Benz had them into the early '90s at least. I haven't heard of Becker home audio gear though, unlike Blaupunkt.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:52 pm 

Thanks for the insights...yes, I too was surprised at Beckers involvement with home audio...
The woofers have Foam...(Inverted Style) surrounds...now re-done...
speaker code on both the woofer and Mid start with 24 and then a gap with a 4 digit date code...
The 5" mid weighs about as much as most woofers...those were mated with dual Piezo tweets mounted in
an enclosure bearing the name SOMA....Made in Toronto...100 watts @ 8 Ohms....Quebec Model...
Very surprising low end...coming from the proud owner of JBL CF120, B&W DM 220, C-V HED U-123...I was really not
expecting much but figured they deserved one more chance to show their stuff... They are most happy I did...And Me too...
Thanks All
&
Happy Listening
MBGuy (RobT)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:14 pm 

Not sure if this is helpful but I found this on AudioKarma.org

Quote:
I dunno if this might be faulty memory at work, but I remembered Becker speakers as being a division of the Becker company from Germany, that made, among other things, factory radios for Mercedes-Benz cars during the 1970s through the early 1990s.

I did remember the assembly plant being in New York. I used to use a lot of their car-specific drivers, including the 222 dome tweeter and many of their midwoofers and coax drivers (6.5", 6x9 and 8", mostly). They always sounded pretty darn good to me.

AFAIK, Becker also made a lot of the MCS brand speakers. If you open up many of these, you'll find the number "24" stamped either by itself, or with a date code, on the back of the woofer magnets. This was the EIA manufacturer code for Becker...

see thread here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:30 pm 

OBI56 wrote:
MBGuy wrote:
Much obliged
RobT

Becker is mostly known for their car audio gear, mainly as an OEM supplier to Mercedes Benz back in the 60s and 70s in their pre-Blaupunkt days. Never realized that they also made home audio gear. Were the original surrounds foam which I thought only came into vogue in the late 70s to early 80s or were they treated cloth or paper?

Do you have a picture as I am really curious to see what they look like?

I already heard that news that the car audio gear of Becker is one of the best entertainment in a car. Haven't heard that they are the OEM supplier for mercedes parts. It seems that they're really good when it comes to making good car equipments and entertainment accessories.