Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:53 pm 

I just scored a pair of Technics SB-6000a, and was wondering if there was a protocol for refurbishing older speakers. They are a bit rough cosmetically but appear to work. The woofers seem to do their thing well, just a dented dust cap, I will try to repair them with a pin, and patience. The surrounds appear rubber like.

The attenuator sounds nice and clean, no noise when adjusting them. The panel itself needs a good clean, I was thinking of some wd40 on a rag? It is painted metal, so I am sure you can imagine what kind of bits of corrosion and surface grime has accumulated.

I was thinking it may be a good idea to disassemble the speakers, replace anything that needs to be replaced, and just give a good cleaning of them. I would really like to get them working well, and nice enough to either sell or keep, depending on how they sound. Will replacing the caps make the treble more pronounced? I know many people mention this mod, and I believe this may be a situation where a cap replacement may be needed, as the highs are a bit subdued compared to the bass. As well, I was curious if the fuses would have some effect on the highs, as they are connected to the tweeters. I will try to post pics tomorrow. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:00 pm 

Don't do anything yet, mort.

Listen to them for a while, see if you like what they do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:35 pm 

It depends on how long they were sitting idle.

If it was a LONG time, then you'll need to play them 7x24 for a few days/weeks to get the caps reformed. Replacing the caps with new will lower this time to at most a week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:28 pm 

I am told I should get some stands for them, get the tweeters up at ear level and do what you all said. Just listen for a few weeks and see what I hear. Or hear what I see. You know what I mean, afterall, you suggested it. These speakers look pretty badass, and for the money I spent on them, they may as well have been free. Any suggestions on stands, DIY or otherwise? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:21 am 

mortron wrote:
I am told I should get some stands for them, get the tweeters up at ear level and do what you all said. Just listen for a few weeks and see what I hear. Or hear what I see. You know what I mean, afterall, you suggested it. These speakers look pretty badass, and for the money I spent on them, they may as well have been free. Any suggestions on stands, DIY or otherwise? Thanks

Stands as in very short steps/boxes a couple of inches high and only if your seating is at normal height. Measure the height of your ears while seated and if they are in the 28 to 36" range leave the speakers on the floor. If your ears are much over 36" off the floor a short step a couple of inches high can really snap the sound focus into place. A buddy of mine had a pair of speakers in this series back in the day and they sounded incredible when seated on his futon, even better sitting on the floor but the whole soundstage fell apart when he got a "real" sofa (a big leather Bauhaus jobbie that was several inches higher than his futon and much more upright back). Everything came back into focus when he put a couple of sheets of presswood underneath them. This is one speaker that sounds better with the tweeter higher than your ears compared to below them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:51 pm 

Well I will see where they sit, or rather, where my ears sit, and go from there :D

Here's a pic, although the lens is plastic so a little foggy (stupid phone companies). They cleaned up nicely. Although I do smell a hint of incense. Hippies :lol:

You all are a wicked amount of help, many thanks :mrgreen:

Attachments:
IMAG0166.jpg
IMAG0166.jpg [ 250.6 KiB | Viewed 1493 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:19 am 

We took the tweeters out of the larger advent, and mounted them on top in free air, much like the sb6000a.

Then, we used to tilt speakers back. It helped a LOT to decrease room resonance. They sounded best the height of a two-four off the floor, and tilted so that you were looking straight into the cone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 am 

Erik wrote:
They sounded best the height of a two-four off the floor.

A Canadian measurement that never translated well to the metric system.