Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

The Cables forum is intended for those who believe cables make a difference in how their systems sound. If you do not believe in cables please do not post in any threads that are discussing specific cables or asking for help with cables, and limit your participation to threads where the OP intends to debate about cables. Posts which are argumentative, offensive, or break our rules may be deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned from posting in this forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 843 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm 

Hello, just wondering if anyone changed the fuses of their gear. How good are those special fuses? There are gold-plated copper, silver ones, but I'm not sure which one to get for my amp. I like a smooth, laid-back, warm sound. Any suggestions?

I saw a type made by HiFi-tuning.com. Anybody tried it?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:29 pm 

Yes, I have replaced the fuses in my Moon W-5 amp and P-5 pre amp with gold plated isoclean fuses. When I get my new cdp, one will be going in it as well.

The Isoclean banner is right on the home page of canuck audio mart and there is a review of the fuse at the 6 Moons site.

I saw them at the Montreal audio show this spring . The isoclean rep said they would make a huge difference. They are $30 each. I put the size required for my amp in and to my surprise, you wouldn't know it was the same amp. It made a huge difference that wouldn't take a set of golden ears to recognize.

The next day I put in an order for one for the P-5.

Check the Isoclean site out and the review in the archives of 6 moons site.

It will be the best $30. you ever spent!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:32 pm 

Quote:
The isoclean rep said they would make a huge difference. They are $30 each. I put the size required for my amp in and to my surprise, you wouldn't know it was the same amp.
It will be the best $30. you ever spent!

The rep said, the listener heard - and recommends further.
No comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:44 pm 

Kraut,

Like I said, the improvement in the sound from just placing one fuse in the amp was incredible and wouldn't take golden ears to hear the difference.

If you haven't tried it , you shouldn't have an opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:06 pm 

Quote:

sorry, I also haven't tried:

Ouiji board
sceances
Channeling
crack cocaine
heroin
jumping without parachute from an airplane

You draw your own conclusions why I haven't tries this, and still voice an opinion on those.

Quote:
It made a huge difference that wouldn't take a set of golden ears to recognize.

I think we left the sublime already very, very far behind. The realm you're cruising is a state simply unattainable by me.

As I'm unable to hear the influence of powercord - except may be they loose connection with the wall outlet, I KBOW that I'm simply unable to hera the goldplating of some - of all things - fuses.

Woudln't it be better in your case to just eliminate fuses completely?
And again I wonder - wheres the krell designs tean when you need'em, why doesn't nelson pass integrate them in his designs?

Last edited by kraut on Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:12 pm 

MOON wrote:
Kraut,

Like I said, the improvement in the sound from just placing one fuse in the amp was incredible and wouldn't take golden ears to hear the difference.

Best let it be, he can't I assure you ... be the better man! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:19 pm 

oh, the b37 bomber is on the runway again, and predictable as usual.

Quote:
be the better man!

something you really have a problem with, my gloater in the dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:27 pm 

I did try the Isoclean fuse on my power amp (solid state) and the result were surprising. So I did the same with the rest of my system.(tube preamp, tube buffer , phonostage and cd player).

It works for me.

It felt more like an upgrade instead of a tweak.

Even small differences in the quality of musical presentation are important. A quality difference can be sonically small but musically large.

At first I said to myself, how can a fuse affect a system like that when someone told me to try the Isoclean fuse. For 30$, what did I have to lose?

So I decided to give it a try for myself in my own system. Still the best way to decide if it work or not.

This fuse is worth every penny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:34 pm 

I wanted to reply to this ... such bad attitudes around here ... when will these people stop abusing this site?

The fuses in my Simaudio equipment had filaments like a spider's web. The Isoclean that I replaced it with had a much thicker filament. Kraut, would it be heresy to say that the Isoclean sounded better? That the difference was larger than I have heard with power cords? At the very least it lets through more current.

Anyway, it made a great improvement, even without the sales pitch ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:35 pm 

I knew it already as soon as I saw this topic being posted that the "group" would jump all over it.

FYI, it would be best if no fuses were needed but to get a CSA or UL approval, there must be a fuse in all electrical components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:42 pm 

It' is funny - I haven't commented on anything re: audibility.
I commented on a process and replied to a suggestion about trying out, and was trying to stop the bomber from his run.
Why all the fuss about me lonely ignoramus audiensis?

And thanks for the "honour" to construct a group and apparently elect me their representative in this here thread. Too much honour, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:43 pm 

Genesis,

I agree that no fuse is best, from a performance standpoint.

I wonder what kind of complex these people have that condemn everything without seeing or hearing for themselves. I had pretty well withdrawn from this message board because of L**, K****, etc. Much of their input is for the sole purpose of confusing and causing controversy, and not participation in a meaningful discussion. Just read the comments on this page ... makes me wonder ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:44 pm 

Quote:
that condemn everything without seeing or hearing for themselves.

maybe you should read the postings more closely.

Another recommendation, and I haven't even warned about any audiophilia nervosa foolishness to the questioner at the beginning of this thread.
He asked a question, and I just hinted that there migt be something fishy in the process as persued by MOON to come to his decision.

Why do certain interested parties always complain, when after a member posts a question about the usefulness of an item. Apparently critics are for some an anathema.
I pointed out that certain experiences are unnecessary to indulge in personally - and I count power cables and fuses among those - as there is simply enough evidence to suggest that those experiences ar either futile, foolish or simply not necessary to form an opinion - there's enough evidence to form an opinion after studyingthe fact.

Otherwise - would one require from a lawmaker to drive without a seatbelt and engage in an accident to prove that seatbelts are essential for crash survival and should be mandated by law?

Oh sure, its a free market, the buck rules and anybody casting doubt on any such usefulness is a thorn in the side of the merchants.

BTW - thats my last posting in this thread. No worry, be happy with fuses,,,

Last edited by kraut on Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:48 pm 

Read the original question. I think he is looking for opinions of those who have had real experience with fuses.

And to answer his question in greater detail, the sound of the stock fuses was coarser, and SEEMED to have more impact, due to the higher apparent noise. The upgraded fuses sound more controlled, transparent, and detailed. Switching back to the stock fuses after using the Isoclean was a real ear opener. It was noisier and lacked refinement and focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:56 pm 

If I was to try the fuse would you recomend replacing the one in the amp first?I would assume that would have the most effect.I have been intrigued by this for a while,I have heard reports on other forums about the Isoclean fuse and all reported a much cleaner more refined sound.
lluscombe,where did you purchase yours? Thanks

Regards
Mike

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 843 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next